Universal Chat Thread
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yyyep. Same here. Definitely bringing some to work with me tomorrow. LOL

Decent weekend, great for recovery and rejuvenation. Now our house is still in need of some help but I think it'll be more doable throughout the week.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yyyep. Same here. Definitely bringing some to work with me tomorrow. LOL

Decent weekend, great for recovery and rejuvenation. Now our house is still in need of some help but I think it'll be more doable throughout the week.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,659
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 25th, 2022, 11:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Also hoorah for the day that comes straight after, also hope no one's made big news out of the craze of Black Friday, although I've yet to look for any that may have happened yet.
I didn't really hear much about Black Friday this year besides deals being announced. Either no notable stories happened or they did and I just never heard of them.

(Nov 26th, 2022, 03:51 PM)Nebulous Wrote:
I hope all the Americans out there had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday.  Did anyone get any good black Friday deals?  Cyber monday is coming up too.
I got a few games on good deals which went into place in the week leading up to Black Friday, but that's about it. I never bother looking at many of the tech deals most people look at because generally stuff like the TV's are always models made specifically for Black Friday that are actually piles of trash marketed to look like models worth a lot of money that you see the rest of the year. Not that I need a TV anyway but even if I did I wouldn't trust any of the models being sold on Black Friday. Tongue

(Nov 28th, 2022, 12:02 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Although Belgium fans have already broke out into rioting over their World Cup loss to Morocco which is pathetic, so hope shoppers don't get pointlessly mad like them.
Funny, the only thing I saw for this was Moroccan fans trashing Brussels in response to winning that match. So it sounds like both sides were doing shit things in the wake of that match, which doesn't surprise me because football (soccer) fans tend to be the ones that always do that sort of stuff. Errm

Ugh, it's finals week for me and I'm having to cover shifts at work too. I'm already super tired and I've still got seven days to go out of the ten this will all encompass. x.x
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,659 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 25th, 2022, 11:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Also hoorah for the day that comes straight after, also hope no one's made big news out of the craze of Black Friday, although I've yet to look for any that may have happened yet.
I didn't really hear much about Black Friday this year besides deals being announced. Either no notable stories happened or they did and I just never heard of them.

(Nov 26th, 2022, 03:51 PM)Nebulous Wrote:
I hope all the Americans out there had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday.  Did anyone get any good black Friday deals?  Cyber monday is coming up too.
I got a few games on good deals which went into place in the week leading up to Black Friday, but that's about it. I never bother looking at many of the tech deals most people look at because generally stuff like the TV's are always models made specifically for Black Friday that are actually piles of trash marketed to look like models worth a lot of money that you see the rest of the year. Not that I need a TV anyway but even if I did I wouldn't trust any of the models being sold on Black Friday. Tongue

(Nov 28th, 2022, 12:02 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Although Belgium fans have already broke out into rioting over their World Cup loss to Morocco which is pathetic, so hope shoppers don't get pointlessly mad like them.
Funny, the only thing I saw for this was Moroccan fans trashing Brussels in response to winning that match. So it sounds like both sides were doing shit things in the wake of that match, which doesn't surprise me because football (soccer) fans tend to be the ones that always do that sort of stuff. Errm

Ugh, it's finals week for me and I'm having to cover shifts at work too. I'm already super tired and I've still got seven days to go out of the ten this will all encompass. x.x
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I can't say I miss finals week from college. Suffer Best of luck to ya, my dear.

Yeah I can't say I saw any crazy and wacky deals this year, or heard any wild stories from people steamrolling each other at store openings. I feel like that's becoming less of a thing? Especially since COVID, it just seems like people are way more inclined to shop online than bother rushing the stores anymore. Shrug
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I can't say I miss finals week from college. Suffer Best of luck to ya, my dear.

Yeah I can't say I saw any crazy and wacky deals this year, or heard any wild stories from people steamrolling each other at store openings. I feel like that's becoming less of a thing? Especially since COVID, it just seems like people are way more inclined to shop online than bother rushing the stores anymore. Shrug
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I managed to get a new hard drive for my computer for pretty cheap. Starting to seriously run out of storage space between games and video files, and it's about time I get with the times, so I got an SSD this time. Had to by an adapter so that the 2.5 in. drive would fit in my 3.5 in. hard drive setup, but that was, like, 5 bucks.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I managed to get a new hard drive for my computer for pretty cheap. Starting to seriously run out of storage space between games and video files, and it's about time I get with the times, so I got an SSD this time. Had to by an adapter so that the 2.5 in. drive would fit in my 3.5 in. hard drive setup, but that was, like, 5 bucks.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Ooh, nice! Are you gonna use the old hard drive as an external at all or just sticking with the SSD? Smile

Currently trying to calm myself down. My nerves have been shot ever since my class finished today and despite popping a Xanax I have yet to feel relaxed to be able to do any of my homework properly. Doh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Ooh, nice! Are you gonna use the old hard drive as an external at all or just sticking with the SSD? Smile

Currently trying to calm myself down. My nerves have been shot ever since my class finished today and despite popping a Xanax I have yet to feel relaxed to be able to do any of my homework properly. Doh
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Nov 29th, 2022, 09:59 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I have two hard drive slots in my PC. I'm just gonna transfer to the new Hard drive and keep the old one as extra storage. Here's hoping I don't break something! ^.=.^;
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Nov 29th, 2022, 09:59 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I have two hard drive slots in my PC. I'm just gonna transfer to the new Hard drive and keep the old one as extra storage. Here's hoping I don't break something! ^.=.^;
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Because you mentioned needing an adapter I just got the impression you had removed the prior one which has a different connector. My bad. XD

I wonder if SSD's will one day just become the standard type of hard drive in everything or if it'll stick around like how Blu Ray didn't entirely kill off the DVD format. Hmm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Because you mentioned needing an adapter I just got the impression you had removed the prior one which has a different connector. My bad. XD

I wonder if SSD's will one day just become the standard type of hard drive in everything or if it'll stick around like how Blu Ray didn't entirely kill off the DVD format. Hmm
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The adapter is for the housing, not the connections. 2.5 in. Hard drives are a LOT smaller than 3.5 in. -- so much so, in fact, that you can fit two in the same space as a single 3.5 in. hard drive. Why not buy a 3.5 in. SSD? Because for some goddamn reason, 3.5 in. SSDs are, like, 10 times the price of a 2.5 in. Why buy 2.5 in. at all? My motherboard is too old; I only have connections for SATA connection drives, so I didn't really have much other choice in the matter.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The adapter is for the housing, not the connections. 2.5 in. Hard drives are a LOT smaller than 3.5 in. -- so much so, in fact, that you can fit two in the same space as a single 3.5 in. hard drive. Why not buy a 3.5 in. SSD? Because for some goddamn reason, 3.5 in. SSDs are, like, 10 times the price of a 2.5 in. Why buy 2.5 in. at all? My motherboard is too old; I only have connections for SATA connection drives, so I didn't really have much other choice in the matter.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
That's weird the bigger ones cost more, assuming they also offer the same storage space. Hmm
Also I can't tell if I'm mixing them up with graphics cards but do SSD's need ways to keep cool compared to a regular HDD or no? Unsure

About to start work on my video project that has a rough draft due tonight. Wish me luck people! Grin

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
That's weird the bigger ones cost more, assuming they also offer the same storage space. Hmm
Also I can't tell if I'm mixing them up with graphics cards but do SSD's need ways to keep cool compared to a regular HDD or no? Unsure

About to start work on my video project that has a rough draft due tonight. Wish me luck people! Grin
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
You say "start" and "due tonight", oh man I hope you got that done in time. Also that the rough did well in...I dunno do they mark it or something, it's only a rough, just getting a look at what you're planning I guess. XD

Er not much going on with me at the moment. Just sitting back after work, ooh this time tomorrow I have five minutes of the shift left!
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
You say "start" and "due tonight", oh man I hope you got that done in time. Also that the rough did well in...I dunno do they mark it or something, it's only a rough, just getting a look at what you're planning I guess. XD

Er not much going on with me at the moment. Just sitting back after work, ooh this time tomorrow I have five minutes of the shift left!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
THE SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS! Dah, um, I mean I was able to get the new drive mounted in my computer, and got all my data migrated off my only hard drive onto the new one with only a slight feeling of wanting to defenestrate the computer entirely! ^.=.^; Now I have an extra 2 TB of storage, and this time without needing a USB port! Aw yeah!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
THE SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS! Dah, um, I mean I was able to get the new drive mounted in my computer, and got all my data migrated off my only hard drive onto the new one with only a slight feeling of wanting to defenestrate the computer entirely! ^.=.^; Now I have an extra 2 TB of storage, and this time without needing a USB port! Aw yeah!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 2nd, 2022, 04:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Generally you get full marks on the draft submission so long as you do two things:
  1. Actually submit a work in progress.
  2. Leave two decent feedback comments on other students work in progress submissions.
So long as you do that it's a guaranteed 20/20 points because the quality of the WIP isn't really being judged. It's really just an opportunity for all of us to get feedback on our work due to the fact it's an online class with no meetings so this is the only time we interact with anyone at all. Usually it's about a week later that the final result is due which is worth 100 points. Wink

(Dec 3rd, 2022, 04:01 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I won't lie when I first started reading this post I thought you had gone into actual surgery for your stomach issue instead of talking about installing a hard drive. XD
Was there any difficulties with it at all or did it go rather smoothly? Smile

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 2nd, 2022, 04:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Generally you get full marks on the draft submission so long as you do two things:
  1. Actually submit a work in progress.
  2. Leave two decent feedback comments on other students work in progress submissions.
So long as you do that it's a guaranteed 20/20 points because the quality of the WIP isn't really being judged. It's really just an opportunity for all of us to get feedback on our work due to the fact it's an online class with no meetings so this is the only time we interact with anyone at all. Usually it's about a week later that the final result is due which is worth 100 points. Wink

(Dec 3rd, 2022, 04:01 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I won't lie when I first started reading this post I thought you had gone into actual surgery for your stomach issue instead of talking about installing a hard drive. XD
Was there any difficulties with it at all or did it go rather smoothly? Smile
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, there was difficulties. From the drive actually being too deep in for the power cord to reach (so now it's just...hanging in the housing, rather than actually slotted in) to the OS cloning failing the first time for unknown reasons, it was rather fruaght with difficulties, but I got it working, so that's all in the past, now! Now I just need to save up for a bigger HDD to replace the 500 GB smol boi I have lol.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, there was difficulties. From the drive actually being too deep in for the power cord to reach (so now it's just...hanging in the housing, rather than actually slotted in) to the OS cloning failing the first time for unknown reasons, it was rather fruaght with difficulties, but I got it working, so that's all in the past, now! Now I just need to save up for a bigger HDD to replace the 500 GB smol boi I have lol.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 3rd, 2022, 08:06 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
You gonna see if you can get a longer cable or perhaps some sort of cable extension so you can house the drive properly?
As for OS cloning, I have no idea what that is but I guess you were duplicating/copying the existing OS on the hard drive already in the computer onto the new one? Is that because you're using the new one as the primary hard drive and the old one as just extra storage for things that don't require the speed of the SSD?

Anyone else finding it hard to believe that Christmas is only 21 days away? I feel like the year has had so much going on that it's thrown off my concept of time a little bit because things I thought happened a long time ago were actually within this calendar year, which makes me feel like the end of the year should've already happened. XD

That said, I did at least get a tiny fraction of Christmas shopping done before December started which is a first for me. And by tiny I mean I've bought exactly one thing. Whistle

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 3rd, 2022, 08:06 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
You gonna see if you can get a longer cable or perhaps some sort of cable extension so you can house the drive properly?
As for OS cloning, I have no idea what that is but I guess you were duplicating/copying the existing OS on the hard drive already in the computer onto the new one? Is that because you're using the new one as the primary hard drive and the old one as just extra storage for things that don't require the speed of the SSD?

Anyone else finding it hard to believe that Christmas is only 21 days away? I feel like the year has had so much going on that it's thrown off my concept of time a little bit because things I thought happened a long time ago were actually within this calendar year, which makes me feel like the end of the year should've already happened. XD

That said, I did at least get a tiny fraction of Christmas shopping done before December started which is a first for me. And by tiny I mean I've bought exactly one thing. Whistle
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Dec 4th, 2022, 08:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

[Image: 20221201_225700.jpg]

The new drive is the bottom one. Nah, it's just gonna chill there; the extension I'd need is, like, 2 inches, so I don't think they make them that short. And yes, the cloning is exactly what you describe. Apparently, the recommended practice is SSD for OS, HDD for storage, and I had an HDD, so I needed to get the OS off the old drive while still making sure it was, you know, working. That had ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS GETTING IT TO WORK! But, I did, got into the BIOS to change the boot order so that it tried to boot of the new drive, and ot works, and it appears all my files are fine, as well, so all's well that ends well.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Dec 4th, 2022, 08:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

[Image: 20221201_225700.jpg]

The new drive is the bottom one. Nah, it's just gonna chill there; the extension I'd need is, like, 2 inches, so I don't think they make them that short. And yes, the cloning is exactly what you describe. Apparently, the recommended practice is SSD for OS, HDD for storage, and I had an HDD, so I needed to get the OS off the old drive while still making sure it was, you know, working. That had ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS GETTING IT TO WORK! But, I did, got into the BIOS to change the boot order so that it tried to boot of the new drive, and ot works, and it appears all my files are fine, as well, so all's well that ends well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 240 44,917 Mar 29th, 2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 22,173 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Universal Gaming Marketplace Moonface 87 62,853 Mar 10th, 2024, 09:04 PM
  General Anime/Manga Chat Karo 121 50,008 Mar 2nd, 2024, 09:15 PM
  The Food & Drink Thread Moonface 100 42,517 Mar 24th, 2023, 08:45 PM