Windows 11 | W10 Support to End in October 2025
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,849
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What visual style are you using for it right now @Dragon Lord? Is it the new one that was made for W11 or did you stick with the classic Windows style it offers?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,849 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What visual style are you using for it right now @Dragon Lord? Is it the new one that was made for W11 or did you stick with the classic Windows style it offers?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Microsoft is testing ads in the Windows 11 File Explorer - Bleeping Computer

Apparently this isn't the first time Microsoft have pushed ads onto Windows and I think it'll be inevitably staying considering they won't just take the hint to not keep doing it despite prior attempts always going poorly. I'd rather Windows 11 not be given out for free to everyone with W10 if this is what will happen, especially since this is being applied to any copy of W11 even if you did pay for it. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Microsoft is testing ads in the Windows 11 File Explorer - Bleeping Computer

Apparently this isn't the first time Microsoft have pushed ads onto Windows and I think it'll be inevitably staying considering they won't just take the hint to not keep doing it despite prior attempts always going poorly. I'd rather Windows 11 not be given out for free to everyone with W10 if this is what will happen, especially since this is being applied to any copy of W11 even if you did pay for it. Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Wuthering Waves | Zenless Zone Zero | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Aether Gazer | Azur Lane | Dark Souls III | Elden Ring
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
XP: 11,124
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Eh, it won't bother me if it's just that little bar shown in the screenshot. That's easy enough to ignore whenever I go into File Explorer. I'll have a problem with it the day that the Win 11 UI starts to look like Skype.
2023 Platinum Goal: 4/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Elden Ring (PS5)
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Wuthering Waves | Zenless Zone Zero | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Aether Gazer | Azur Lane | Dark Souls III | Elden Ring
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
XP: 11,124 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Eh, it won't bother me if it's just that little bar shown in the screenshot. That's easy enough to ignore whenever I go into File Explorer. I'll have a problem with it the day that the Win 11 UI starts to look like Skype.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 15th, 2022, 05:03 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
What did Skype's UI look like again? I can't remember what it looked like. XD

(Dec 16th, 2021, 09:45 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Just requoting this incase you missed it back when I first posted it.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 15th, 2022, 05:03 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
What did Skype's UI look like again? I can't remember what it looked like. XD

(Dec 16th, 2021, 09:45 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Just requoting this incase you missed it back when I first posted it.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
I don't remember exactly how it looked anymore, but I just remember it had very "in your face" ads plastered every where on it.

Also I'm just using the default Win11 look. Didn't even know I could change it to anything classic looking (haven't been bothered to really dive into all of the customization options yet).
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
I don't remember exactly how it looked anymore, but I just remember it had very "in your face" ads plastered every where on it.

Also I'm just using the default Win11 look. Didn't even know I could change it to anything classic looking (haven't been bothered to really dive into all of the customization options yet).
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,195
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I feel like they've already been doing that shit, so those ads don't really bother me.

I've had it set to classic. It's taken a little time to get used to but it feels fine. I've actually just gone full MacOS experience and hide the taskbar as well (hover only). LOL

I'll say the one gripe I have with it so far is that right clicking the taskbar no longer let's me access Task Manager. There used to be many options with right-click, and now it's just "Taskbar Settings" only. I've had to pin the task manager to it so I can access it quicker. Not a fan of CTRL + ALT + DEL every time I wanna check program usage. Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,195 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I feel like they've already been doing that shit, so those ads don't really bother me.

I've had it set to classic. It's taken a little time to get used to but it feels fine. I've actually just gone full MacOS experience and hide the taskbar as well (hover only). LOL

I'll say the one gripe I have with it so far is that right clicking the taskbar no longer let's me access Task Manager. There used to be many options with right-click, and now it's just "Taskbar Settings" only. I've had to pin the task manager to it so I can access it quicker. Not a fan of CTRL + ALT + DEL every time I wanna check program usage. Errm
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,401
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Please understand Microsoft needs to sell you ads and everything really need an ad! I'm looking forward to the future where state of the art toilets will play you an ad that you will surely appreciate while your using the toilet! Grin
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,401 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Please understand Microsoft needs to sell you ads and everything really need an ad! I'm looking forward to the future where state of the art toilets will play you an ad that you will surely appreciate while your using the toilet! Grin
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 16th, 2022, 05:11 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
As someone who keeps task manager open 24/7 the removal of a quick access would really piss me off. I guess pinning it won't be too bad for me though since I keep it open all the time anyway so not like it would be taking up space on my taskbar or being something I want quick access to but not always open or accidentally clicking on (looking at you Photoshop before I finally unpinned you after opening is by accident for the nth time).

For those using it already, is there anything you would like to see added in a future update to the OS? Hmm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 16th, 2022, 05:11 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
As someone who keeps task manager open 24/7 the removal of a quick access would really piss me off. I guess pinning it won't be too bad for me though since I keep it open all the time anyway so not like it would be taking up space on my taskbar or being something I want quick access to but not always open or accidentally clicking on (looking at you Photoshop before I finally unpinned you after opening is by accident for the nth time).

For those using it already, is there anything you would like to see added in a future update to the OS? Hmm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Windows 10 | Support to End in October 2025
Microsoft has announced that support for Windows 10 will end in about 16 months from now, falling on October 14, 2025: Microsoft

Figured I'd put this here rather than make a new thread since this news means if you're a Windows user you're expected to move to Windows 11 anyway. Too bad the majority of users on Windows 10 can't upgrade without buying entirely new hardware which I think is kinda bullshit for an OS with such a large user base to require of people. 

For me I guess I'll just hold out and wait to buy a new laptop for this since I need to upgrade anyway. My laptop takes long enough as it is just doing a Windows update; if I try and feed it a Windows 11 upgrade it'll probably take until Windows 10 support ends for it to install the thing. Rolleyes

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Windows 10 | Support to End in October 2025
Microsoft has announced that support for Windows 10 will end in about 16 months from now, falling on October 14, 2025: Microsoft

Figured I'd put this here rather than make a new thread since this news means if you're a Windows user you're expected to move to Windows 11 anyway. Too bad the majority of users on Windows 10 can't upgrade without buying entirely new hardware which I think is kinda bullshit for an OS with such a large user base to require of people. 

For me I guess I'll just hold out and wait to buy a new laptop for this since I need to upgrade anyway. My laptop takes long enough as it is just doing a Windows update; if I try and feed it a Windows 11 upgrade it'll probably take until Windows 10 support ends for it to install the thing. Rolleyes
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,858
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I'm still on Windows 10, heck I still have my old Toshiba laptop still on 7. I never let my Acer one upgrade to 11 so I'll just wait until whenever I probably get myself a proper gaming laptop, I have been on an off that idea for a while.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,858 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I'm still on Windows 10, heck I still have my old Toshiba laptop still on 7. I never let my Acer one upgrade to 11 so I'll just wait until whenever I probably get myself a proper gaming laptop, I have been on an off that idea for a while.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 24th, 2024, 04:30 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
...so I'll just wait until whenever I probably get myself a proper gaming laptop, I have been on an off that idea for a while.
I'm not super knowledgeable on gaming laptops but based on my experience with it I'd say Dell is a good brand to look at whenever you start looking around for one. I've had one of them for at least 6+ years and I've never had an issue with cooling and access to the fans is really easy; although, I've never needed to actually clean my laptop fans so I assume they do a good job of keeping themselves clear of dust buildup in the type of model mine is. 

I've not checked my laptop yet but apparently last night anyone not on Windows 11 got a screen filling pop-up about this news without warning which freaked a lot of people out thinking it was a virus or something.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
...so I'll just wait until whenever I probably get myself a proper gaming laptop, I have been on an off that idea for a while.
I'm not super knowledgeable on gaming laptops but based on my experience with it I'd say Dell is a good brand to look at whenever you start looking around for one. I've had one of them for at least 6+ years and I've never had an issue with cooling and access to the fans is really easy; although, I've never needed to actually clean my laptop fans so I assume they do a good job of keeping themselves clear of dust buildup in the type of model mine is. 

I've not checked my laptop yet but apparently last night anyone not on Windows 11 got a screen filling pop-up about this news without warning which freaked a lot of people out thinking it was a virus or something.
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,195
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah I'd look into upgrading. It super sucks that this next iteration has a hardware requirement to even utilize. I actually wonder if this will begin folks' migration to Apple-based products.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,195 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah I'd look into upgrading. It super sucks that this next iteration has a hardware requirement to even utilize. I actually wonder if this will begin folks' migration to Apple-based products.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 26th, 2024, 05:51 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I doubt it only because Apple computers aren't going to be cheaper than buying a Windows computer that the average person needs. Those who care enough would probably just use Linux or something and a regular user would either upgrade or just continue to use W10 without either caring about the risk or lacking the knowledge to understand the risk.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 26th, 2024, 05:51 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I doubt it only because Apple computers aren't going to be cheaper than buying a Windows computer that the average person needs. Those who care enough would probably just use Linux or something and a regular user would either upgrade or just continue to use W10 without either caring about the risk or lacking the knowledge to understand the risk.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
(May 24th, 2024, 04:59 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I wouldn't go with Dell for the sole fact that they tend not to allow part swapping, which can come back to haunt someone when they run into the issue of needing more storage. Laptops from brands like Alienware/Dell, Lenovo and HP tend to be "you get what you buy and you'll be happy with it." Instead, I'd recommend looking into brands that are more known for being heavily gaming focused, like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. These laptops will likely allow for better part swapping (at the very least you want upgrade-able storage). Definitely avoid any of the Razer laptops though, they are horrendously price gouged for what you get.

Of course I'd always recommend going the desktop route over laptop route just because you'll get more bang for your buck and something that will last longer, but I also understand how it feels to be completely lost with everything that goes into a PC build and just wanting to be able to buy something that's ready to go the moment you receive it, haha. Which is why I like websites that let you pick your parts and then they build it for you and ship it to you.

Anyways, not surprising to see them announce and official end to Win10 support. Was only a matter of time, especially with the heavy Win12 rumors flying around the last year. I won't be surprised if we see an announcement for it sometime this summer or late in the year.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
(May 24th, 2024, 04:59 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I wouldn't go with Dell for the sole fact that they tend not to allow part swapping, which can come back to haunt someone when they run into the issue of needing more storage. Laptops from brands like Alienware/Dell, Lenovo and HP tend to be "you get what you buy and you'll be happy with it." Instead, I'd recommend looking into brands that are more known for being heavily gaming focused, like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. These laptops will likely allow for better part swapping (at the very least you want upgrade-able storage). Definitely avoid any of the Razer laptops though, they are horrendously price gouged for what you get.

Of course I'd always recommend going the desktop route over laptop route just because you'll get more bang for your buck and something that will last longer, but I also understand how it feels to be completely lost with everything that goes into a PC build and just wanting to be able to buy something that's ready to go the moment you receive it, haha. Which is why I like websites that let you pick your parts and then they build it for you and ship it to you.

Anyways, not surprising to see them announce and official end to Win10 support. Was only a matter of time, especially with the heavy Win12 rumors flying around the last year. I won't be surprised if we see an announcement for it sometime this summer or late in the year.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The main reason I won't go for a desktop for my next computer is needing the portability to take it with me to college classes and such. That said though @ShiraNoMai did recently buy a new desktop that we can set up now that we just finished building the new desk for it.

On part swapping issues, I've never touched anything on my Dell except to put an SSD into it which was just additional hardware rather than swapping it with another piece. So if that and some other brands are really bad about it I wasn't aware of that.

I know they wouldn't but could you imagine if Microsoft announced Windows 12 right after people have been forcibly migrated to 11 and W12 requires a hardware check again that's higher than the current minimum for 11? ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The main reason I won't go for a desktop for my next computer is needing the portability to take it with me to college classes and such. That said though @ShiraNoMai did recently buy a new desktop that we can set up now that we just finished building the new desk for it.

On part swapping issues, I've never touched anything on my Dell except to put an SSD into it which was just additional hardware rather than swapping it with another piece. So if that and some other brands are really bad about it I wasn't aware of that.

I know they wouldn't but could you imagine if Microsoft announced Windows 12 right after people have been forcibly migrated to 11 and W12 requires a hardware check again that's higher than the current minimum for 11? ROFL