PlayStation Classic
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony have decided to join the retro console market with the launch of their PlayStation Classic miniature console, launches later this year on December 3rd (which marks the 24th anniversary of the original PlayStation launch in Japan).

It comes with 20 pre-loaded games (including Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms), an HDMI cable, a USB cable and two original controllers for the MSRP of $99.99 USD / £89.99 GBP / €99.99 EURO / $129.99 CAN.

[Image: DndoiLIXgAAy4tV.jpg:large]

The full line-up of titles is still yet to be announced, so stay tuned for seeing some of your favorites popping up on this list. Which titles would you like to see appear?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony have decided to join the retro console market with the launch of their PlayStation Classic miniature console, launches later this year on December 3rd (which marks the 24th anniversary of the original PlayStation launch in Japan).

It comes with 20 pre-loaded games (including Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms), an HDMI cable, a USB cable and two original controllers for the MSRP of $99.99 USD / £89.99 GBP / €99.99 EURO / $129.99 CAN.

[Image: DndoiLIXgAAy4tV.jpg:large]

The full line-up of titles is still yet to be announced, so stay tuned for seeing some of your favorites popping up on this list. Which titles would you like to see appear?
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
It's a good lineup so far. The real surprise is Tekken 3 because licensing issues(Gon) prevented its rerelease. Sadly the lack of dualshock means certain games won't be possible. No Ape Escape for example.

Hoping it has:
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 2
Jet Moto 2
WipEout 3
Syphon Filter
Resident Evil Non Directors Cut
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
It's a good lineup so far. The real surprise is Tekken 3 because licensing issues(Gon) prevented its rerelease. Sadly the lack of dualshock means certain games won't be possible. No Ape Escape for example.

Hoping it has:
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 2
Jet Moto 2
WipEout 3
Syphon Filter
Resident Evil Non Directors Cut
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh, wow PlayStation's getting it's own mini version, eh? Sweet. HDMI output, yeah! Also good line up so far. Happy to see Tekken 3 there, and like Metallix mentioned, a surprise. Perhaps T7's sales helped with that, and quite obviously was the best of the three Tekken PS1 games.

A Gran Turismo game would be cool. Remembering playing that with my brother. Circuit Breakers, Croc (1 or 2), Bomberman (any except Fantasy Race) would be good additions I think. If Crash and Spyro didn't have the remakes then obviously them, but who knows? Could make it in. Do doubt though. Perhaps Crash Team Racing if not. Although that might end up being too many racers in a 20 game line up. Maybe best to keep it to two or three if WipEout or Circuit Breakers make it in. Rayman 1 or 2, Gex, Tomba, Oddworld, Tomb Raider, Klonoa, Kula World, Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move, Destruction Derby, Dead Ball Zone. Agh, so much to choose from! Don't want all, but a few from here would be great. I want to see games I haven't played before too, which is why I don't want to see all these, plus many I listed are Platformers anyway.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh, wow PlayStation's getting it's own mini version, eh? Sweet. HDMI output, yeah! Also good line up so far. Happy to see Tekken 3 there, and like Metallix mentioned, a surprise. Perhaps T7's sales helped with that, and quite obviously was the best of the three Tekken PS1 games.

A Gran Turismo game would be cool. Remembering playing that with my brother. Circuit Breakers, Croc (1 or 2), Bomberman (any except Fantasy Race) would be good additions I think. If Crash and Spyro didn't have the remakes then obviously them, but who knows? Could make it in. Do doubt though. Perhaps Crash Team Racing if not. Although that might end up being too many racers in a 20 game line up. Maybe best to keep it to two or three if WipEout or Circuit Breakers make it in. Rayman 1 or 2, Gex, Tomba, Oddworld, Tomb Raider, Klonoa, Kula World, Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move, Destruction Derby, Dead Ball Zone. Agh, so much to choose from! Don't want all, but a few from here would be great. I want to see games I haven't played before too, which is why I don't want to see all these, plus many I listed are Platformers anyway.
Relic Offline
Destroyer's End
Currently Playing
Rome 2: Total War
Favourite Platform(s)
Xbox One, PC
XP: 153
Persona 
Very nice, hopefully some more games are announced with it. Gran Turismo was always a huge favorite of mine as a kid.
Relic Offline
Destroyer's End
Currently Playing
Rome 2: Total War
Favourite Platform(s)
Xbox One, PC
XP: 153 Persona 
Very nice, hopefully some more games are announced with it. Gran Turismo was always a huge favorite of mine as a kid.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
20 games does not equal $100. Basically Sony's charging $5 per title here. And, what about people who already have an original Playstation that works with their Playstation games? I doubt they'd be interested, more so if there aren't that many games they're interested in of the 20 there.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
20 games does not equal $100. Basically Sony's charging $5 per title here. And, what about people who already have an original Playstation that works with their Playstation games? I doubt they'd be interested, more so if there aren't that many games they're interested in of the 20 there.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Sep 19th, 2018, 10:07 PM)King Atem Wrote:
And, what about people who already have an original Playstation that works with their Playstation games? I doubt they'd be interested

Except that this would allow them to play games in HD on a flat screen TV, rather than having to either play it extremely pixelated or needing an old box TV to play it. The prospect of being able to play these on a 60'' TV without being a blurry mess is definitely something that would interest even those who still have working PS1s.

Anyways, I'm not going to get interested in this unless the following games are on it (or at least several of them):

-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Legend of Dragoon
-Alundra
-Digimon World 3
-Chrono Cross
-Vagrant Story

While I like FFVII, that being on it is completely irrelevant to me because it's already available on PS4, and it's a much better version of the game on PS4 as well. The other games are either only available to play on PS3 or not available at all unless you have a copy and a working PS1, so it'd be nice to see them. Especially since it would mean I could free up the space they take on my PS3. In the case of Digimon World 3, it's not available at all without a working PS1, so it'd be great to have a method of playing that again without have to turn to roms.

Unfortunately with only 20 games on it, I fear that the selection of RPGs available on it outside of FFVII will be pretty low, which would make it completely worthless to me.

Almost forgot to add Vagrant Story to the list. Give me that one, too.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
And, what about people who already have an original Playstation that works with their Playstation games? I doubt they'd be interested

Except that this would allow them to play games in HD on a flat screen TV, rather than having to either play it extremely pixelated or needing an old box TV to play it. The prospect of being able to play these on a 60'' TV without being a blurry mess is definitely something that would interest even those who still have working PS1s.

Anyways, I'm not going to get interested in this unless the following games are on it (or at least several of them):

-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Legend of Dragoon
-Alundra
-Digimon World 3
-Chrono Cross
-Vagrant Story

While I like FFVII, that being on it is completely irrelevant to me because it's already available on PS4, and it's a much better version of the game on PS4 as well. The other games are either only available to play on PS3 or not available at all unless you have a copy and a working PS1, so it'd be nice to see them. Especially since it would mean I could free up the space they take on my PS3. In the case of Digimon World 3, it's not available at all without a working PS1, so it'd be great to have a method of playing that again without have to turn to roms.

Unfortunately with only 20 games on it, I fear that the selection of RPGs available on it outside of FFVII will be pretty low, which would make it completely worthless to me.

Almost forgot to add Vagrant Story to the list. Give me that one, too.
fantanoice Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,267
Pac-Man Crash Bandicoot 
Urgh not having analogue sticks is a huge downfall. I remember trying to play the PS Classics versions of FFVII and Crash where they didn't support them and they were bloody awful. Why would you do this in 20XX?

I didn't have a PS1 growing up but it could be a good opportunity to play some games I haven't tried before. I want to see the full game list before committing to it though.
And on that day, mankind received a grim reminder...
[Image: tumblr_mz2zenFSln1sl5pypo1_400.gif]
Fanta on Twitch | Fanta on Mixer
fantanoice Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,267 Pac-Man Crash Bandicoot 
Urgh not having analogue sticks is a huge downfall. I remember trying to play the PS Classics versions of FFVII and Crash where they didn't support them and they were bloody awful. Why would you do this in 20XX?

I didn't have a PS1 growing up but it could be a good opportunity to play some games I haven't tried before. I want to see the full game list before committing to it though.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams

Obviously this isn’t for people who have the original consoles still. It’s for lapsed gamers who buy it because they have fond memories. Either that or collectors.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams

Obviously this isn’t for people who have the original consoles still. It’s for lapsed gamers who buy it because they have fond memories. Either that or collectors.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The price isn't because of just the games though. Remember you're paying for the hardware here too, it's not 20 games on a free piece of kit.

As for me, doubt I'd get this other than novelty since I have all my PS1 games still and it would probably be cheaper to buy the ones I want digitally for PS3 instead of getting them on this.

WipEout 2097 is more likely to be on here than Wip3out because the former sold far more units, but either of them would be good. Gran Turismo would be surprising not to see. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro is going to likely come down to whether Activision want it or not. Although CTR could go on there as that hasn't been remade (yet). Tomb Raider 2 would be another good one. I'd also like to see hard to find games put onto this, like Tomba and Suikoden.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The price isn't because of just the games though. Remember you're paying for the hardware here too, it's not 20 games on a free piece of kit.

As for me, doubt I'd get this other than novelty since I have all my PS1 games still and it would probably be cheaper to buy the ones I want digitally for PS3 instead of getting them on this.

WipEout 2097 is more likely to be on here than Wip3out because the former sold far more units, but either of them would be good. Gran Turismo would be surprising not to see. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro is going to likely come down to whether Activision want it or not. Although CTR could go on there as that hasn't been remade (yet). Tomb Raider 2 would be another good one. I'd also like to see hard to find games put onto this, like Tomba and Suikoden.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Blue should be banned as a text color in posts. It's super annoying and straining to read what you post because you want to be unique. I had to say it.

As for the topic, yeah I'm not totally sold on it. Not even because of the games but I don't think the PS1 needs this when they themselves have created alternatives. All the PS1 titles that I can take with me on the vita, which adds portability, kinds dumb this down for me. Plus I'm not stuck getting extra games that I have no interest in, just the ones I buy. And those that are on there and not available as a classic that I want don't justify the price tag. Nostalgia sells but not with that limited availability and variety m
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Blue should be banned as a text color in posts. It's super annoying and straining to read what you post because you want to be unique. I had to say it.

As for the topic, yeah I'm not totally sold on it. Not even because of the games but I don't think the PS1 needs this when they themselves have created alternatives. All the PS1 titles that I can take with me on the vita, which adds portability, kinds dumb this down for me. Plus I'm not stuck getting extra games that I have no interest in, just the ones I buy. And those that are on there and not available as a classic that I want don't justify the price tag. Nostalgia sells but not with that limited availability and variety m
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Tongue It's not Atem's fault the background is also blue.

I also would like to point out that all of the relevant Final Fantasy's (beside's FF8) are getting a re-release on all consoles so getting a PS1 is kinda even more irrelevant. I agree about wanting someway to get the older Suikoden games, too bad Konami doesn't give two craps. They're still focusing on their crappy Fifia games. Oh & when they aren't too busy screwing up MGS, they might give two craps about the YGO franchise.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Tongue It's not Atem's fault the background is also blue.

I also would like to point out that all of the relevant Final Fantasy's (beside's FF8) are getting a re-release on all consoles so getting a PS1 is kinda even more irrelevant. I agree about wanting someway to get the older Suikoden games, too bad Konami doesn't give two craps. They're still focusing on their crappy Fifia games. Oh & when they aren't too busy screwing up MGS, they might give two craps about the YGO franchise.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I would say it'd be neat to get to buy extra games for it via the PS Store, and the system gets extra storage to hold it via Memory Card style storage. At least then for anyone with just a PS4, they can get more PS1 games to play since Sony don't have interest in just letting the PS4 play those games. If you already purchased the games on an earlier system (and let's just assume you no longer have it), you can pop those into your PS1 for free since you already own them. You'd still need to get a memory card add-on so not like Sony can complain they can't get money from people doing that, but at least with that method we could put as much onto the system as we want, so that we're not stuck with 20 games and potentially locked out of playing the ones of the PS Store that can't be played on a PS4.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I would say it'd be neat to get to buy extra games for it via the PS Store, and the system gets extra storage to hold it via Memory Card style storage. At least then for anyone with just a PS4, they can get more PS1 games to play since Sony don't have interest in just letting the PS4 play those games. If you already purchased the games on an earlier system (and let's just assume you no longer have it), you can pop those into your PS1 for free since you already own them. You'd still need to get a memory card add-on so not like Sony can complain they can't get money from people doing that, but at least with that method we could put as much onto the system as we want, so that we're not stuck with 20 games and potentially locked out of playing the ones of the PS Store that can't be played on a PS4.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
To be honest one of the biggest sellers for me really has no purpose. I can get Crash on any other console now and I can get Spyro soon and I know I missed it before.

Maybe Wild Arms or Legend or Dragoon could make me interested in picking it up.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
To be honest one of the biggest sellers for me really has no purpose. I can get Crash on any other console now and I can get Spyro soon and I know I missed it before.

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Sep 26th, 2018, 04:54 AM)Yuri Wrote:

There was an interesting article I read about the Playstation Classic vs Playstation TV which has a muuuuuch bigger variety of PSX games. My concern is that the remaining games they'll mention might be available as classics on PS3/4/Vita. Which kinda pulls away from the appeal. At least the SNES classic had Star Fox 2 which was a huge attraction for it
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Sep 26th, 2018, 04:54 AM)Yuri Wrote:

There was an interesting article I read about the Playstation Classic vs Playstation TV which has a muuuuuch bigger variety of PSX games. My concern is that the remaining games they'll mention might be available as classics on PS3/4/Vita. Which kinda pulls away from the appeal. At least the SNES classic had Star Fox 2 which was a huge attraction for it
topman Offline
Newcomer
XP: 118
Had the original one back in 98. Worked great for a long time then suddenly stopped coming on for a long time. After another long period of time decided it was done with its nap and started working again.
Control the things you can control.
Don't fret over the things you cannot.
topman Offline
Newcomer
XP: 118
Had the original one back in 98. Worked great for a long time then suddenly stopped coming on for a long time. After another long period of time decided it was done with its nap and started working again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis Moonface 420 119,570 Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 688 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,016 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,514 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM