Let's talk game ports
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Specifically... is there any out there that actually managed to both escape the "watered-down/butchered" reputation AND win you over as a gamer?

For me, there's one that, at first, looked like such a shameless cash-grab and that I thought in no way would it be able to remain faithful to the original: Jet Grind Radio (GBA).

Taking a look at its DC big brother, you'd be forgiven for thinking that in absolutely no way could a game with such amazing graphics, gameplay and sound design make it safely into the tiny Gameboy Advance... but no, they really pulled it off!

Sure, sacrifices needed to be made, but the game is actually beyond playable... and it's honestly really fun to do so as well (I beat it on GBA before I did it on DC, actually).

And you can call me crazy if you want, but I think the... rather forceful transition from CD to GBA sound chips really made the game stand out more. Kinda feels like listening to the radio as you are moving around at stupid speed, with all the static and echo (in other words, exactly what your character is doing).

So, what is your experience with this sort of thing?
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Specifically... is there any out there that actually managed to both escape the "watered-down/butchered" reputation AND win you over as a gamer?

For me, there's one that, at first, looked like such a shameless cash-grab and that I thought in no way would it be able to remain faithful to the original: Jet Grind Radio (GBA).

Taking a look at its DC big brother, you'd be forgiven for thinking that in absolutely no way could a game with such amazing graphics, gameplay and sound design make it safely into the tiny Gameboy Advance... but no, they really pulled it off!

Sure, sacrifices needed to be made, but the game is actually beyond playable... and it's honestly really fun to do so as well (I beat it on GBA before I did it on DC, actually).

And you can call me crazy if you want, but I think the... rather forceful transition from CD to GBA sound chips really made the game stand out more. Kinda feels like listening to the radio as you are moving around at stupid speed, with all the static and echo (in other words, exactly what your character is doing).

So, what is your experience with this sort of thing?
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I'd say a disappointing port for me would be the Chrono Trigger series. On the SNES it's perfect. On the PS1 load times for battles are horrible, the DS story makes no sense (cause the story was redone), the PC version is crap from what I've seen & I refuse to get the mobile version. <.<"

I was also disappointed with the port of LOZ: Twilight Princess to the WiiU, since I feel that the Wii version is SO MUCH BETTER.

A GOOD port was the older Metroid Prime titles over to the Wii using Wiimote controls. Now that was a smart move & I enjoyed replaying both very much on the Wii. :3
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I'd say a disappointing port for me would be the Chrono Trigger series. On the SNES it's perfect. On the PS1 load times for battles are horrible, the DS story makes no sense (cause the story was redone), the PC version is crap from what I've seen & I refuse to get the mobile version. <.<"

I was also disappointed with the port of LOZ: Twilight Princess to the WiiU, since I feel that the Wii version is SO MUCH BETTER.

A GOOD port was the older Metroid Prime titles over to the Wii using Wiimote controls. Now that was a smart move & I enjoyed replaying both very much on the Wii. :3
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I remember a time where we ported N64 and PSX games onto the Game Boy Color. Hmm! Now that's a terrible idea if there ever was. Then again, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was actually kinda fun, even if difficult to play simply because of how closed in the screen is. You basically have to memorize the track if you want to have any chance of winning.

Not so much a port, but Metroid Prime Hunters is a rough game to play, and that's purely due to the control scheme. See, rather than use tank controls, and make aiming be done by the face buttons on the DS (i.e. A, B, X, and Y), you use the stylus to aim the gun across the screen, and use standard strafing controls (which, you know, is only a complete departure from the controls on the original Gamecube, so that's not confusing at all!). I'm sorry, I'm sure the game is great, but I can't play the damn thing because those controls are so awful!

Meanwhile, in PSP land, the Midnight Club 3 port on PSP is basically a perfect recreation of the entire game. Cutscenes, gameplay, music, everything's the same. They didn't even remove the voice clips! It's a pretty impressive port, and showed the power of the system very well.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I remember a time where we ported N64 and PSX games onto the Game Boy Color. Hmm! Now that's a terrible idea if there ever was. Then again, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was actually kinda fun, even if difficult to play simply because of how closed in the screen is. You basically have to memorize the track if you want to have any chance of winning.

Not so much a port, but Metroid Prime Hunters is a rough game to play, and that's purely due to the control scheme. See, rather than use tank controls, and make aiming be done by the face buttons on the DS (i.e. A, B, X, and Y), you use the stylus to aim the gun across the screen, and use standard strafing controls (which, you know, is only a complete departure from the controls on the original Gamecube, so that's not confusing at all!). I'm sorry, I'm sure the game is great, but I can't play the damn thing because those controls are so awful!

Meanwhile, in PSP land, the Midnight Club 3 port on PSP is basically a perfect recreation of the entire game. Cutscenes, gameplay, music, everything's the same. They didn't even remove the voice clips! It's a pretty impressive port, and showed the power of the system very well.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
XP: 184
The most disappointing one that I know of was Pit Fighter ported from Arcade, to the SNES. The irony of it is, the original wasn't any good itself apparently LOL
[Image: E12av.png]
Gamers welcome also, yeah.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
The most disappointing one that I know of was Pit Fighter ported from Arcade, to the SNES. The irony of it is, the original wasn't any good itself apparently LOL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jun 9th, 2018, 07:15 PM)macGamr Wrote:

You have to question: Was it ever a good idea to do that port? ROFL

That Jet Set Radio one actually sounds really neat, I didn't know about that port at all. I'd be hard-pressed to not look into it myself, maybe as an emulation if I can't find the cart for it.
Queen and Maniak make good claims on some pretty bad ports. You'd think they'd do Chrono Trigger some justice with how well that game originally received. I have heard the DS one was pretty decent, but didn't realize they messed with the story at all to port it. Weird.

Speaking of PS2 to PSP, how about those awful vice-versa ports? Games built for mobile platform pushed onto a regular home console. Ugh. I'm not even sure what's at fault here: the original hardware from the PSP, the off-brand games themselves (they were usually not made by the original developer of the home console games), or the idea itself. Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jun 9th, 2018, 07:15 PM)macGamr Wrote:

That Jet Set Radio one actually sounds really neat, I didn't know about that port at all. I'd be hard-pressed to not look into it myself, maybe as an emulation if I can't find the cart for it.
Queen and Maniak make good claims on some pretty bad ports. You'd think they'd do Chrono Trigger some justice with how well that game originally received. I have heard the DS one was pretty decent, but didn't realize they messed with the story at all to port it. Weird.

Speaking of PS2 to PSP, how about those awful vice-versa ports? Games built for mobile platform pushed onto a regular home console. Ugh. I'm not even sure what's at fault here: the original hardware from the PSP, the off-brand games themselves (they were usually not made by the original developer of the home console games), or the idea itself. Hmm
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
(Jun 9th, 2018, 09:46 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Most likely not, but the developers weren't caring Tongue But there are far worse ports though... like anything to the Gameboy. Urgh Sick
[Image: E12av.png]
Gamers welcome also, yeah.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
(Jun 9th, 2018, 09:46 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Most likely not, but the developers weren't caring Tongue But there are far worse ports though... like anything to the Gameboy. Urgh Sick
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I've played the Jet Set Radio port, and it's brilliant...assuming you're using a controller of some kind. IDK how it handles on a keyboard, and I don't really wanna think about it. Still, I prefer the sequel/remake (every resource I can find says its a sequel, but the story setup is the exact same in both games, so...) Jet Set Radio Future. Trying to get a copy of that, though? Good luck. I'm really hoping they make that backwards compatible with the Xbone. I mean, they did it with Panzer Dragoon Orta...
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I've played the Jet Set Radio port, and it's brilliant...assuming you're using a controller of some kind. IDK how it handles on a keyboard, and I don't really wanna think about it. Still, I prefer the sequel/remake (every resource I can find says its a sequel, but the story setup is the exact same in both games, so...) Jet Set Radio Future. Trying to get a copy of that, though? Good luck. I'm really hoping they make that backwards compatible with the Xbone. I mean, they did it with Panzer Dragoon Orta...
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've played a few bad ports, but there's been good ones (which I annoyingly can not remember...). Not that I've played it, but I'd say Tearaway transitioned well from Vita onto PS4.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've played a few bad ports, but there's been good ones (which I annoyingly can not remember...). Not that I've played it, but I'd say Tearaway transitioned well from Vita onto PS4.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:I've played the Jet Set Radio port, and it's brilliant...assuming you're using a controller of some kind. IDK how it handles on a keyboard, and I don't really wanna think about it.

It handles really nicely in a keyboard, actually Smile
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:I've played the Jet Set Radio port, and it's brilliant...assuming you're using a controller of some kind. IDK how it handles on a keyboard, and I don't really wanna think about it.

It handles really nicely in a keyboard, actually Smile
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Oh yea, another crappy port impo was LoZ: Wind Waker from the GC to the WiiU. Nintendo said they were stream lining it, but in reality they just made it way too easy to get through & beat. The Gamecube version is superior (impo) because you have to WORK FOR IT. :p
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Oh yea, another crappy port impo was LoZ: Wind Waker from the GC to the WiiU. Nintendo said they were stream lining it, but in reality they just made it way too easy to get through & beat. The Gamecube version is superior (impo) because you have to WORK FOR IT. :p
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
I remember beating Perfect Dark on the Gameboy. Really awkward, but fun... kinda like less-advanced Metal Slug.

And speaking of the GB, the leaked BETA for Resident Evil on it looks like such a mess, I'm glad Capcom pulled the plug on the whole thing.

Shame about Diablo, though. Really looked like it was gonna work.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
I remember beating Perfect Dark on the Gameboy. Really awkward, but fun... kinda like less-advanced Metal Slug.

And speaking of the GB, the leaked BETA for Resident Evil on it looks like such a mess, I'm glad Capcom pulled the plug on the whole thing.

Shame about Diablo, though. Really looked like it was gonna work.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jun 16th, 2018, 08:48 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Oh yea, another crappy port impo was LoZ: Wind Waker from the GC to the WiiU. Nintendo said they were stream lining it, but in reality they just made it way too easy to get through & beat.  The Gamecube version is superior (impo) because you have to WORK FOR IT. :p

You hear about Barrier Skip in Wind Waker HD? They managed to ADD IN a massive sequence break to the WiiU copy, to the delight of speedrunners the world over. Barrier Skip lets you get passed the magic barrier around old Hyrule, and let's you cut down over an hour to your time.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jun 16th, 2018, 08:48 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Oh yea, another crappy port impo was LoZ: Wind Waker from the GC to the WiiU. Nintendo said they were stream lining it, but in reality they just made it way too easy to get through & beat.  The Gamecube version is superior (impo) because you have to WORK FOR IT. :p

You hear about Barrier Skip in Wind Waker HD? They managed to ADD IN a massive sequence break to the WiiU copy, to the delight of speedrunners the world over. Barrier Skip lets you get passed the magic barrier around old Hyrule, and let's you cut down over an hour to your time.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I shall now port this thread into 2021 kicking and screaming with this discovery I just made about Resident Evil 4. So we all know that game has been ported onto just about everything, but I bet no one here knew it had been ported onto a system that was basically a slightly more powerful PS1/N64 called the Zeebo, which was a home console exclusively sold in Brazil and Mexico. It's pretty crazy to look at:

[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I shall now port this thread into 2021 kicking and screaming with this discovery I just made about Resident Evil 4. So we all know that game has been ported onto just about everything, but I bet no one here knew it had been ported onto a system that was basically a slightly more powerful PS1/N64 called the Zeebo, which was a home console exclusively sold in Brazil and Mexico. It's pretty crazy to look at:

Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Sweet jesus, and I thought the PC port was janky. I've seen and played some janky games in my time, but this is impressive in both how faithful it is as a port and how horrible it looks to play.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Sweet jesus, and I thought the PC port was janky. I've seen and played some janky games in my time, but this is impressive in both how faithful it is as a port and how horrible it looks to play.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I can't tell if the capture of this has horrible audio or the tin can sounds coming from the game are actually from the port.... lord. I can't wait to see this run on a Samsung Fridge next.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I can't tell if the capture of this has horrible audio or the tin can sounds coming from the game are actually from the port.... lord. I can't wait to see this run on a Samsung Fridge next.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 730 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,846 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface