Microsoft Has Officially Acquired Activision Blizzard | Formerly "Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard"
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
This is basically a dead topic, but I have to come in and say this because it needs to be said: there is a STORY, here! I want to be a fly on the wall of the meeting where the words "68.7 billion dollars" left someone's lips for the first time, and the absolute jaw-dropping shock the high execs had to this proposal. I want to see the legal team's face when this request passes through their hands, and they have to figure out if this is legal or not. There is a story here, and I want to know it!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
This is basically a dead topic, but I have to come in and say this because it needs to be said: there is a STORY, here! I want to be a fly on the wall of the meeting where the words "68.7 billion dollars" left someone's lips for the first time, and the absolute jaw-dropping shock the high execs had to this proposal. I want to see the legal team's face when this request passes through their hands, and they have to figure out if this is legal or not. There is a story here, and I want to know it!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect the shock would've been a double hit, since being offered that sum while all the controversy is going on means someone is paying to take this entire shit show off your hands. The deal would be crazy for a company without problems to fix, but in this case it's a free pass to not even have to continue to care about the problems in the long-term. Whatever isn't fixed once this sale is over basically becomes Microsoft's problem and they paid for it to be their problem. Normally I only hear of that happening for companies that are facing bankruptcy like Toys-R-Us and such, but normally the company itself is looking for the out. This sounds like Activision just got a call from Microsoft offering to take this mess on in exchange for a big payout. I also wonder how many employees will stay on board and wait for the Microsoft takeover to happen when before they may have just decided to leave instead if this purchase never occurred.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect the shock would've been a double hit, since being offered that sum while all the controversy is going on means someone is paying to take this entire shit show off your hands. The deal would be crazy for a company without problems to fix, but in this case it's a free pass to not even have to continue to care about the problems in the long-term. Whatever isn't fixed once this sale is over basically becomes Microsoft's problem and they paid for it to be their problem. Normally I only hear of that happening for companies that are facing bankruptcy like Toys-R-Us and such, but normally the company itself is looking for the out. This sounds like Activision just got a call from Microsoft offering to take this mess on in exchange for a big payout. I also wonder how many employees will stay on board and wait for the Microsoft takeover to happen when before they may have just decided to leave instead if this purchase never occurred.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, it looks like this topic isn't as dead as I thought. The FTC has announced that they are reviewing the situation. We'll see if that ends up actually mattering (my money is on "no")
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, it looks like this topic isn't as dead as I thought. The FTC has announced that they are reviewing the situation. We'll see if that ends up actually mattering (my money is on "no")
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah I'll be surprised if this stops the deal happening. As Polygon says other big acquisitions have happened but were under old rules and also weren't tech related so wouldn't have been under as much scrutiny as this deal could be, which I think is going to cause arguments about being biased towards certain sectors over others.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah I'll be surprised if this stops the deal happening. As Polygon says other big acquisitions have happened but were under old rules and also weren't tech related so wouldn't have been under as much scrutiny as this deal could be, which I think is going to cause arguments about being biased towards certain sectors over others.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
That and I can't even remember the last time the FTC actually gave a shit over potential monopolies in this country. It's been quite some time. Acquisitions after acquisitions have been happening for the past decade or two and the list of big corps eating all the little guys grows by the day, while the FTC buries their heads in the sand at the thought of it. Rolleyes
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
That and I can't even remember the last time the FTC actually gave a shit over potential monopolies in this country. It's been quite some time. Acquisitions after acquisitions have been happening for the past decade or two and the list of big corps eating all the little guys grows by the day, while the FTC buries their heads in the sand at the thought of it. Rolleyes
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
But did the FTC ever come out about looking into those other acquisitions that have happened?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
But did the FTC ever come out about looking into those other acquisitions that have happened?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 18th, 2022, 09:52 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Though even if they do fire whats-his-face, I imagine they're going to give him a pretty huge payout to go quietly off into the sunset. They're going to give him a "golden parachute" as people like to say.
That looks to be exactly the case now. It sucks because if he gets fired, he gets a payout, and if he improves the company before he leaves he also gets a payout. Even if there were no payouts though, his stocks have gone up in value so much due to the Microsoft acquisition that there's no way he doesn't ride off into the sunset with a huge sum of money regardless of what happens. Eh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Though even if they do fire whats-his-face, I imagine they're going to give him a pretty huge payout to go quietly off into the sunset. They're going to give him a "golden parachute" as people like to say.
That looks to be exactly the case now. It sucks because if he gets fired, he gets a payout, and if he improves the company before he leaves he also gets a payout. Even if there were no payouts though, his stocks have gone up in value so much due to the Microsoft acquisition that there's no way he doesn't ride off into the sunset with a huge sum of money regardless of what happens. Eh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I hope the employees can file a class action lawsuit against the guy and sue him for all he's worth. Piece of shit. Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I hope the employees can file a class action lawsuit against the guy and sue him for all he's worth. Piece of shit. Errm
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I'm not mad I'm just disappointed, but I mean that the way things go for the rich I guess. Jailtime, fines, and prisons really are for the poor while the rich they don't really get consequences. Sure they'll have to pay a fine, but a fine really means nothing to them!
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I'm not mad I'm just disappointed, but I mean that the way things go for the rich I guess. Jailtime, fines, and prisons really are for the poor while the rich they don't really get consequences. Sure they'll have to pay a fine, but a fine really means nothing to them!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 6th, 2022, 06:54 PM)Karo Wrote:
I forget what country it is but I know somewhere in the world makes it that fines are a percentage of your income, rather than a set rate, so that rich people can't just view the fine as a mild inconvenience compared to a regular person who doesn't just have a few hundred dollars (or whatever currency) to just blow on a ticket or fine.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 6th, 2022, 06:54 PM)Karo Wrote:
I forget what country it is but I know somewhere in the world makes it that fines are a percentage of your income, rather than a set rate, so that rich people can't just view the fine as a mild inconvenience compared to a regular person who doesn't just have a few hundred dollars (or whatever currency) to just blow on a ticket or fine.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Mar 4th, 2022, 10:27 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yep. There was never going to be any other ending for him except for riding off into the sunset with saddlebags stuffed full of cash.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Mar 4th, 2022, 10:27 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yep. There was never going to be any other ending for him except for riding off into the sunset with saddlebags stuffed full of cash.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if anyone will try to sue him personally or not after he leaves given the amount of cash he'll have. I'm not sure if he could be personally held accountable for the entire company but maybe if he leaves without having improved anything it can be used as evidence that he didn't foster a safe work environment. Then again even if he does turn it around it should still be used to prove it wasn't safe before and that it was clearly his lack of action that fed it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if anyone will try to sue him personally or not after he leaves given the amount of cash he'll have. I'm not sure if he could be personally held accountable for the entire company but maybe if he leaves without having improved anything it can be used as evidence that he didn't foster a safe work environment. Then again even if he does turn it around it should still be used to prove it wasn't safe before and that it was clearly his lack of action that fed it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I was going to remark on the vote but that PR statement just grabbed my eye way more. What an absolute crock of shit that statement is. Everyone knows they voted on it because of the stupid amount of money they're all going to get out of this deal going through. Rolleyes
I could be really cynical and take it to mean they couldn't make a decent workplace by themselves if another company wasn't buying them out, but I don't really care anymore what it takes to stop the problems in Activision. They could sacrifice a goat on their office steps at this point if that was what was required. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I was going to remark on the vote but that PR statement just grabbed my eye way more. What an absolute crock of shit that statement is. Everyone knows they voted on it because of the stupid amount of money they're all going to get out of this deal going through. Rolleyes
I could be really cynical and take it to mean they couldn't make a decent workplace by themselves if another company wasn't buying them out, but I don't really care anymore what it takes to stop the problems in Activision. They could sacrifice a goat on their office steps at this point if that was what was required. Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Apr 29th, 2022, 08:52 PM)Moonface Wrote:
They could sacrifice a goat on their office steps at this point if that was what was required. Tongue

That's basically what they are doing, lol. They basically just said "Oh, it's not OUR fault that the workplace culture was terrible! It was those dumb board members that this deal is kicking out! (Even though we always had the power to kick them out whenever we wanted; we just liked the money they were making us too much to do it)"
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
They could sacrifice a goat on their office steps at this point if that was what was required. Tongue

That's basically what they are doing, lol. They basically just said "Oh, it's not OUR fault that the workplace culture was terrible! It was those dumb board members that this deal is kicking out! (Even though we always had the power to kick them out whenever we wanted; we just liked the money they were making us too much to do it)"
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 30th, 2022, 04:19 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Yup. Same for why Kotick isn't going to worry about the board kicking him out. As awful as he is, he's made that company stupid bank and so long as he remains that golden goose, he knows he's good.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 30th, 2022, 04:19 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Yup. Same for why Kotick isn't going to worry about the board kicking him out. As awful as he is, he's made that company stupid bank and so long as he remains that golden goose, he knows he's good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Activision Blizzard Situation Thread Moonface 66 15,005 Apr 12th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Arcades & Arcade Games | Sega Arcades Are Officially No More Moonface 5 1,597 Feb 1st, 2022, 11:50 PM
  Microsoft Buys Bethesda for $7.5 Billion Moonface 15 7,015 Mar 11th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Microsoft @ E3 2019 ShiraNoMai 5 5,899 Jun 11th, 2019, 11:37 PM
  Microsoft @ E3 2018 Moonface 15 22,086 Jun 15th, 2018, 04:31 PM