The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Sequel Announced
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I love the new poster! Probably one of the better "actors all on the same poster looking out in the distance" posters I've seen yet. It's cool how they took a concept from a color wheel picker to really highlight all the sections. There's so much to look at, too. Grin

[Image: wheel-5-ryb.png]
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I love the new poster! Probably one of the better "actors all on the same poster looking out in the distance" posters I've seen yet. It's cool how they took a concept from a color wheel picker to really highlight all the sections. There's so much to look at, too. Grin

[Image: wheel-5-ryb.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh no, they made Donkey Kong say the "D" word to Mario. Oh, the humanity!

Joking aside, the little bit extra of that scene was good. Also like the poster as well.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh no, they made Donkey Kong say the "D" word to Mario. Oh, the humanity!

Joking aside, the little bit extra of that scene was good. Also like the poster as well.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Three new posters have come out over the last 24 hours, each focusing on one particular character in the movie:

[Image: Fodhp35acAI9uwS?format=jpg&name=small] [Image: FoeE653aEAE1ba8?format=jpg&name=small] [Image: Foi6SREagAAeAyR?format=jpg&name=small]

I like the Luigi one the most. Shout out to the cameo from the Chinese spy balloon! Grin
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Three new posters have come out over the last 24 hours, each focusing on one particular character in the movie:

[Image: Fodhp35acAI9uwS?format=jpg&name=small] [Image: FoeE653aEAE1ba8?format=jpg&name=small] [Image: Foi6SREagAAeAyR?format=jpg&name=small]

I like the Luigi one the most. Shout out to the cameo from the Chinese spy balloon! Grin
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Huh never noticed the Pirahna Plants look mechanical, but it's meant to be from Mario's training that the Toads/MK people must've made for it.

All three look great, torn between Luigi's and Peach's for my favourite, might just go with them all though.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Huh never noticed the Pirahna Plants look mechanical, but it's meant to be from Mario's training that the Toads/MK people must've made for it.

All three look great, torn between Luigi's and Peach's for my favourite, might just go with them all though.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Peach's poster is really good visually for sure, but Luigi's is definitely my favorite just because I think it captures his character so well. Grin

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Peach's poster is really good visually for sure, but Luigi's is definitely my favorite just because I think it captures his character so well. Grin
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
https://www.smbplumbing.com/main/

Just saw this promoted by the movies official Twitter and I'm all for it. I was curious what that phone number goes to and it plays a voicemail message from Luigi talking about the business and I loved every second of it. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
https://www.smbplumbing.com/main/

Just saw this promoted by the movies official Twitter and I'm all for it. I was curious what that phone number goes to and it plays a voicemail message from Luigi talking about the business and I loved every second of it. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The site is so cute, too. It's got lots of sound easter eggs and I adore the broken image link thing ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The site is so cute, too. It's got lots of sound easter eggs and I adore the broken image link thing ROFL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah the site's great. Never thought they'd do something like this and happy they have done. The promo video ad too, brilliant. Did you notice the manhole leads to a new poster?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah the site's great. Never thought they'd do something like this and happy they have done. The promo video ad too, brilliant. Did you notice the manhole leads to a new poster?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I didn't notice since I only briefly checked the website on mobile, but the poster the manhole cover leads to wasn't posted on social media until Feb. 15, so it would've definitely been a neat thing to find beforehand. Speaking of posters, a new one focused on the Mario Kart aspect of the movie came out today, alongside the announcement of when the final trailer for this movie will be shown:
I love that Toad has a beefy monster truck in this. ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I didn't notice since I only briefly checked the website on mobile, but the poster the manhole cover leads to wasn't posted on social media until Feb. 15, so it would've definitely been a neat thing to find beforehand. Speaking of posters, a new one focused on the Mario Kart aspect of the movie came out today, alongside the announcement of when the final trailer for this movie will be shown:
I love that Toad has a beefy monster truck in this. ROFL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Perhaps the monster truck is a bit of a call back of the mini monster truck the light characters could have in...can't remember which MK it was now. But yeah, it's great. XD

Still funny they have to mention no game news for the direct, but yup will watch that.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Perhaps the monster truck is a bit of a call back of the mini monster truck the light characters could have in...can't remember which MK it was now. But yeah, it's great. XD

Still funny they have to mention no game news for the direct, but yup will watch that.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Final Trailer
The final trailer for The Super Mario Bros. Movie has dropped courtesy of yesterday's dedicated Direct! If like myself you forgot about the Direct yesterday for the final trailer of this movie, then you can check it out below:

I can't help but feel the marketing team are purposefully avoiding giving Mario many lines in these trailers ever since the initial trailer reaction, but I might also just be reading too much into it. I do like that Mario's motivation for the movie seems to be about rescuing Luigi and not just saving the Mushroom Kingdom; I'm guessing that's Peach's main goal and her and Mario are working together due to having a common enemy that aligns to their differing goals. I prefer that approach if that's the case; having someone just turn up in a new location and be the one who can save it because all the residents are useless is a trope I don't really enjoy.

Interesting to see Odyssey referenced in the location at 0:43, and I liked the nod to the side-scrolling Mario games with the scene that follows shortly after. If nothing else this movie definitely looks like a love letter to Mario as a whole and that it was made primarily with care and not just for a cheap cash grab. Of course Nintendo wouldn't have allowed this movie to be just a cash grab but my point is more that Illumination could have chosen to not go as far as they have with some of the attention and references we've seen so far and still put plenty of care into it.

My guess with Rainbow Road at this point is it's going to be a way of travelling from one location to another, perhaps to get from the Mushroom Kingdom to wherever Bowser is at. It would explain why so many of Bowser's minions are waiting there, although if I was Bowser and knew all of my enemies are dicking around in go-karts and leaving the Mushroom Kingdom unattended that would be the best time to go start a war...*ahem* ...I mean a special training operation that just so happens to be in a foreign territory. Whistle

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Final Trailer
The final trailer for The Super Mario Bros. Movie has dropped courtesy of yesterday's dedicated Direct! If like myself you forgot about the Direct yesterday for the final trailer of this movie, then you can check it out below:

I can't help but feel the marketing team are purposefully avoiding giving Mario many lines in these trailers ever since the initial trailer reaction, but I might also just be reading too much into it. I do like that Mario's motivation for the movie seems to be about rescuing Luigi and not just saving the Mushroom Kingdom; I'm guessing that's Peach's main goal and her and Mario are working together due to having a common enemy that aligns to their differing goals. I prefer that approach if that's the case; having someone just turn up in a new location and be the one who can save it because all the residents are useless is a trope I don't really enjoy.

Interesting to see Odyssey referenced in the location at 0:43, and I liked the nod to the side-scrolling Mario games with the scene that follows shortly after. If nothing else this movie definitely looks like a love letter to Mario as a whole and that it was made primarily with care and not just for a cheap cash grab. Of course Nintendo wouldn't have allowed this movie to be just a cash grab but my point is more that Illumination could have chosen to not go as far as they have with some of the attention and references we've seen so far and still put plenty of care into it.

My guess with Rainbow Road at this point is it's going to be a way of travelling from one location to another, perhaps to get from the Mushroom Kingdom to wherever Bowser is at. It would explain why so many of Bowser's minions are waiting there, although if I was Bowser and knew all of my enemies are dicking around in go-karts and leaving the Mushroom Kingdom unattended that would be the best time to go start a war...*ahem* ...I mean a special training operation that just so happens to be in a foreign territory. Whistle
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I completely forgot that it was meant to be last night my time, then realised it was Mar10 today and thought the trailer was on for today instead, which it technically was in some areas.

Fine trailer, and to be honest I'm not bothered anymore by Mario being voiced by Pratt, just hearing a voice...really. XD Didn't expect some Goombas were in the cages like the penguins, Luigi and a Luma, suppose they're the ones who refused to fight under Bowser. Ah and the Mushroom power-up does cause Mario to grow in size like most of the games do. Also cool Mario goes from his MK8 kart to a pipe-frame kart during the Mario Kart scene.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I completely forgot that it was meant to be last night my time, then realised it was Mar10 today and thought the trailer was on for today instead, which it technically was in some areas.

Fine trailer, and to be honest I'm not bothered anymore by Mario being voiced by Pratt, just hearing a voice...really. XD Didn't expect some Goombas were in the cages like the penguins, Luigi and a Luma, suppose they're the ones who refused to fight under Bowser. Ah and the Mushroom power-up does cause Mario to grow in size like most of the games do. Also cool Mario goes from his MK8 kart to a pipe-frame kart during the Mario Kart scene.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I get more and more excited for this movie each time I see a new trailer from it.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I get more and more excited for this movie each time I see a new trailer from it.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't know today was the day reviews come out for this movie, but I had been wondering when we would start seeing them. So far it seems to be a very, very mixed bag of reactions, judging by Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-sup...ic-reviews
Note: At the time of this post the movie sits at an overall score of 50, with 11 positive, 9 mixed, and 6 negative. Just in case the scores change to make my statement age like milk.

One criticism I'm seeing repeated even within the positive reviews is that the plot is incredibly thin and overall the movie seems to be focused on fanservice that caters to as many people as possible, whether they're die-hard Mario fans or barely know a thing about it. I guess it shouldn't be a shock that a Mario movie lacks a decent plot since it's not like the games often do much better, but I feel that the games can get away with it because they can be held up by their gameplay whilst this movie seems to just be cramming in as many references as it can to try and maintain interest in the obvious absence of gameplay.

The movie also ends by setting up a sequel, so maybe the next movie will try a bit harder with the story telling and will probably have to since the allure of seeing the Mario universe animated on the big screen isn't going to be nearly as strong now that viewers will have seen a lot of that in this first movie.

I haven't scoured the reviews yet to get an idea of the voice acting but the few I've checked don't seem to condemn Pratt's acting, and it'll be a nice surprise if most of the reviews share that sentiment since that was something I really expected to see get slammed given how reactions to his voice in the trailers has generally been.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't know today was the day reviews come out for this movie, but I had been wondering when we would start seeing them. So far it seems to be a very, very mixed bag of reactions, judging by Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-sup...ic-reviews
Note: At the time of this post the movie sits at an overall score of 50, with 11 positive, 9 mixed, and 6 negative. Just in case the scores change to make my statement age like milk.

One criticism I'm seeing repeated even within the positive reviews is that the plot is incredibly thin and overall the movie seems to be focused on fanservice that caters to as many people as possible, whether they're die-hard Mario fans or barely know a thing about it. I guess it shouldn't be a shock that a Mario movie lacks a decent plot since it's not like the games often do much better, but I feel that the games can get away with it because they can be held up by their gameplay whilst this movie seems to just be cramming in as many references as it can to try and maintain interest in the obvious absence of gameplay.

The movie also ends by setting up a sequel, so maybe the next movie will try a bit harder with the story telling and will probably have to since the allure of seeing the Mario universe animated on the big screen isn't going to be nearly as strong now that viewers will have seen a lot of that in this first movie.

I haven't scoured the reviews yet to get an idea of the voice acting but the few I've checked don't seem to condemn Pratt's acting, and it'll be a nice surprise if most of the reviews share that sentiment since that was something I really expected to see get slammed given how reactions to his voice in the trailers has generally been.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,810
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Yeah, the movie doesn't seem to be doing all that great in the realm of reviews in the early goings. I also heard on the radio that Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 55% right now.

I'm not surprised to see that the movie lacks much substance at all, and it's just a mashup of as many Mario-related references as possible. Seeing trailers for it the last couple of weeks and continuously hearing the part where DK says "it's on like Donkey Kong!" didn't give me much hope for the movie. It also doesn't help that they got one of the absolute most trash actors in Hollywood to voice DK.

Speaking of that, maybe one of the reasons why not as many people are shitting on Pratt now is because of Rogen being in the movie. Dude is mega-garbage in every movie he's in. Though I have seen some people also saying that as more trailers/footage came out, that Pratt ended up sounding a lot better to them than he did in the initial trailer where they were really shitting on him. So maybe a combination of just getting to hear more of his work in the movie + realizing that Rogen is the true turd of the movie got the heat off of Pratt.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,810 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Yeah, the movie doesn't seem to be doing all that great in the realm of reviews in the early goings. I also heard on the radio that Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 55% right now.

I'm not surprised to see that the movie lacks much substance at all, and it's just a mashup of as many Mario-related references as possible. Seeing trailers for it the last couple of weeks and continuously hearing the part where DK says "it's on like Donkey Kong!" didn't give me much hope for the movie. It also doesn't help that they got one of the absolute most trash actors in Hollywood to voice DK.

Speaking of that, maybe one of the reasons why not as many people are shitting on Pratt now is because of Rogen being in the movie. Dude is mega-garbage in every movie he's in. Though I have seen some people also saying that as more trailers/footage came out, that Pratt ended up sounding a lot better to them than he did in the initial trailer where they were really shitting on him. So maybe a combination of just getting to hear more of his work in the movie + realizing that Rogen is the true turd of the movie got the heat off of Pratt.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonic The Hedgehog (Movie Series) | Sonic 3 Logo Reveal Moonface 54 17,921 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 22,528 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL