Civilization (Series)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I thought we should have a thread dedicated the grand-daddy of strategy gaming franchises Tongue

The original game - Sid Meier's Civilization - was released way back in 1991, and over the course of 27 years and six iterations (plus several spin-offs), it's given millions of players countless hours of one-more-turn disorder. Though, on a more positive note, it's also given us Baba Yetu, the first piece of video game music to win a Grammy: 

Personally, I've been playing these games since 2010, when I got Civilization V. My Steam account figures speak for themselves: I've accumulated over 2,000 hours on that game - plus 378 hours on Civilization Beyond Earth and 293 hours on Civilization VI. (I do also own Civilization IV, which is still the favourite of some within the Civ community; however, I was never able to get into it Sad . I guess it just lacks the modern quality-of-life features which I've come to take for granted, but which people who played it when it was new have happily lived without for years)

Anyway, which games in this series do you own?
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I thought we should have a thread dedicated the grand-daddy of strategy gaming franchises Tongue

The original game - Sid Meier's Civilization - was released way back in 1991, and over the course of 27 years and six iterations (plus several spin-offs), it's given millions of players countless hours of one-more-turn disorder. Though, on a more positive note, it's also given us Baba Yetu, the first piece of video game music to win a Grammy: 

Personally, I've been playing these games since 2010, when I got Civilization V. My Steam account figures speak for themselves: I've accumulated over 2,000 hours on that game - plus 378 hours on Civilization Beyond Earth and 293 hours on Civilization VI. (I do also own Civilization IV, which is still the favourite of some within the Civ community; however, I was never able to get into it Sad . I guess it just lacks the modern quality-of-life features which I've come to take for granted, but which people who played it when it was new have happily lived without for years)

Anyway, which games in this series do you own?
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Greeting friends! It is I the most peaceful Civilizations of India!

I come bearing gifts of Indians and spices...and herbs...

I am not binding my time to kill you all with our elephants or nuclear weapons of mass destruction

Would you like to be friends? I LOVE FRIENDS!

Evil Gandhi notions aside. I love Civilization my first one was V also and I just really love playing the games, but I always find myself never finishing them! I actually tried Civ with IV first and I thought it was pretty cool, but the AI in that game was far too tough for me. V I manage to just kinda co-exist peacefully. VI was when I won my first victory a science one as America. Basically I killed off a few civilizations and than pumped off the science until the end.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Greeting friends! It is I the most peaceful Civilizations of India!

I come bearing gifts of Indians and spices...and herbs...

I am not binding my time to kill you all with our elephants or nuclear weapons of mass destruction

Would you like to be friends? I LOVE FRIENDS!

Evil Gandhi notions aside. I love Civilization my first one was V also and I just really love playing the games, but I always find myself never finishing them! I actually tried Civ with IV first and I thought it was pretty cool, but the AI in that game was far too tough for me. V I manage to just kinda co-exist peacefully. VI was when I won my first victory a science one as America. Basically I killed off a few civilizations and than pumped off the science until the end.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232
Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
I've loved Civilization for years, starting with the first title (I think?) back on the PS1. I spent a ton of time playing it, but being a youngster my grasp of strategy and politics was pretty low. In effect, my strategy was putting big, beefy things on the edges of every border I had as a deterrent to keep the other guys in check, which also meant that if someone declared war on me I was almost instantly in a position to go on the offensive.

I really enjoy Civ V, though my crappy laptop gets a bit sad when I run it now. Civ VI is fun, but feels lacking compared to V, though part of that could be explained by the fact V has all of the DLCs going for it, whereas VI is still a relatively vanilla release. I seem to recall V was a bit barebones to begin with as well.

Beyond Earth is cool also, I'm a fan of space-themed stuff, but again it's pretty barebones imo.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232 Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
I've loved Civilization for years, starting with the first title (I think?) back on the PS1. I spent a ton of time playing it, but being a youngster my grasp of strategy and politics was pretty low. In effect, my strategy was putting big, beefy things on the edges of every border I had as a deterrent to keep the other guys in check, which also meant that if someone declared war on me I was almost instantly in a position to go on the offensive.

I really enjoy Civ V, though my crappy laptop gets a bit sad when I run it now. Civ VI is fun, but feels lacking compared to V, though part of that could be explained by the fact V has all of the DLCs going for it, whereas VI is still a relatively vanilla release. I seem to recall V was a bit barebones to begin with as well.

Beyond Earth is cool also, I'm a fan of space-themed stuff, but again it's pretty barebones imo.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
To be honest, I only have experience with the fifth installment (which I got free on Steam) and I couldn't figure it out. It was pretty overwhelming, actually.

I always wanted to try them again, probably starting with the renown CiV II, but I couldn't get it to run.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
To be honest, I only have experience with the fifth installment (which I got free on Steam) and I couldn't figure it out. It was pretty overwhelming, actually.

I always wanted to try them again, probably starting with the renown CiV II, but I couldn't get it to run.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:37 AM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:

Yeah, I still think Beyond Earth is a real missed opportunity. The vanilla release was very similar to Civ 5, which I guess is fine in that Civ 5 is a very solid base to work from, but it felt more like a total conversion mod than its own game. After Rising Tide came out, it really did start to feel like its own game - but, sadly, the developers just abandoned it in a broken and unbalanced state Sad . 

What it really needed was more Affinity-specific mechanics IMO. It kind of had this with the different resources, and Miasma being good for Harmony and bad for Supremacy and Purity, but it didn't go nearly far enough IMO. 

Oh, and those annoying building quests that granted a choice of two small bonuses. I'd multiply all the bonuses by 5, and give each bonus only a 20% chance of appearing in the game. That way, each game feels more varied, and you'd have to keep a flexible plan which doesn't rely on a particular bonus coming up Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:37 AM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:

Yeah, I still think Beyond Earth is a real missed opportunity. The vanilla release was very similar to Civ 5, which I guess is fine in that Civ 5 is a very solid base to work from, but it felt more like a total conversion mod than its own game. After Rising Tide came out, it really did start to feel like its own game - but, sadly, the developers just abandoned it in a broken and unbalanced state Sad . 

What it really needed was more Affinity-specific mechanics IMO. It kind of had this with the different resources, and Miasma being good for Harmony and bad for Supremacy and Purity, but it didn't go nearly far enough IMO. 

Oh, and those annoying building quests that granted a choice of two small bonuses. I'd multiply all the bonuses by 5, and give each bonus only a 20% chance of appearing in the game. That way, each game feels more varied, and you'd have to keep a flexible plan which doesn't rely on a particular bonus coming up Tongue .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 24 8,670 6 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Persona (Series) | P3 Aigis The First Answer Port Announced Moonface 21 1,449 Yesterday, 02:25 PM
  Rayman (Series) Moonface 18 9,892 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:07 PM
  Hades (Series) | Hades II Early Access Announcement Moonface 15 6,527 Apr 17th, 2024, 10:19 PM
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 120 12,755 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:29 PM