Super Mario RPG (Remake)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

Nintendo Wrote:
Originally released on Super NES, Super Mario RPG has been overhauled with new graphics! Join Mario, Bowser, Princess Peach, and original characters Mallow and Geno, in an RPG filled with twists, turns and treasure. Mario must team up with his allies to face down a menacing force known as the Smithy Gang in order to recover seven stars and repair the Star Road. Whether you played the original game or have yet to take the journey, you can dive into this Nintendo Switch version of the very first RPG in the Super Mario series! Super Mario RPG launches for Nintendo Switch Nov. 17, 2023.

I don't really know much about this game but visually the remake looks really nice and I'm curious about playing it. I know I could just easily play the original for now but I think I'd rather wait for the remake if I play this game in any fashion just so everything is completely fresh to me.

Also this thread can serve to discuss the original game as well, not just the freshly announced remake. Smile
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

Nintendo Wrote:
Originally released on Super NES, Super Mario RPG has been overhauled with new graphics! Join Mario, Bowser, Princess Peach, and original characters Mallow and Geno, in an RPG filled with twists, turns and treasure. Mario must team up with his allies to face down a menacing force known as the Smithy Gang in order to recover seven stars and repair the Star Road. Whether you played the original game or have yet to take the journey, you can dive into this Nintendo Switch version of the very first RPG in the Super Mario series! Super Mario RPG launches for Nintendo Switch Nov. 17, 2023.

I don't really know much about this game but visually the remake looks really nice and I'm curious about playing it. I know I could just easily play the original for now but I think I'd rather wait for the remake if I play this game in any fashion just so everything is completely fresh to me.

Also this thread can serve to discuss the original game as well, not just the freshly announced remake. Smile
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As a mega super fanboy of the original game... I want to be hyped for this, but... the game being in 3D like that just doesn't look right. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the jazzed up remade OST either.

I really want to be excited for this because the original is one of my favorite games of all-time, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to set aside my bias for the original on this one... it just doesn't look like it's going to have ANY of the charm that the OG had, since the graphics were a huge part of that charm.

I guess we'll see.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As a mega super fanboy of the original game... I want to be hyped for this, but... the game being in 3D like that just doesn't look right. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the jazzed up remade OST either.

I really want to be excited for this because the original is one of my favorite games of all-time, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to set aside my bias for the original on this one... it just doesn't look like it's going to have ANY of the charm that the OG had, since the graphics were a huge part of that charm.

I guess we'll see.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The start to the trailer in the stream blew me away, they finally are bringing this to the Switch. However Mario, Peach and Bowser looking stunted in that 3D form is off as we're all familiar with how they look in other 3D style Mario games. It worked in the original SMRPG because of it's own visual style, Geno and Mallow look OK here though. But damn I've always wanted to play SMRPG in some way and missed out on the Virtual Console on the Wii. At the moment it said eShop but wondering if it will get a physical release, but I suppose I'll be happy with digital.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The start to the trailer in the stream blew me away, they finally are bringing this to the Switch. However Mario, Peach and Bowser looking stunted in that 3D form is off as we're all familiar with how they look in other 3D style Mario games. It worked in the original SMRPG because of it's own visual style, Geno and Mallow look OK here though. But damn I've always wanted to play SMRPG in some way and missed out on the Virtual Console on the Wii. At the moment it said eShop but wondering if it will get a physical release, but I suppose I'll be happy with digital.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Idk, personally I like the astetic they're going for with it. But I'm also not super picky owning the og version on WiiU since my brother still has my SNES copy. xD I know I'm going to love it no matter what cause I'm going in with zero expectations. lol
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Idk, personally I like the astetic they're going for with it. But I'm also not super picky owning the og version on WiiU since my brother still has my SNES copy. xD I know I'm going to love it no matter what cause I'm going in with zero expectations. lol
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 21st, 2023, 06:20 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
At the moment it said eShop but wondering if it will get a physical release, but I suppose I'll be happy with digital.
Amazon and other retailers have physical versions up for pre-order so it isn't digital only. Wink

I'm not used to the original art style of the game so I didn't really have a visual identity for this game already in my mind before seeing the trailer. However I can agree that the stunted forms are a little odd depending on the angle; Peach in the very first transition to the new graphics looked really odd to me but she was fine later in the trailer when the angles were different.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 21st, 2023, 06:20 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
At the moment it said eShop but wondering if it will get a physical release, but I suppose I'll be happy with digital.
Amazon and other retailers have physical versions up for pre-order so it isn't digital only. Wink

I'm not used to the original art style of the game so I didn't really have a visual identity for this game already in my mind before seeing the trailer. However I can agree that the stunted forms are a little odd depending on the angle; Peach in the very first transition to the new graphics looked really odd to me but she was fine later in the trailer when the angles were different.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, I was happy to see physical copies start popping up for pre-order when there was no confirmation of it from the Direct. Despite some hesitations about the remake, I'm still going to get it and play the shit out of it most likely since as I mentioned, the OG is one of my top games of all-time and a game that I lost countless childhood hours to. That midget Mario though man, shit just looks weird.

Might even take a few days off of work for it so I can binge it and really go all-out with the nostalgia trip.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, I was happy to see physical copies start popping up for pre-order when there was no confirmation of it from the Direct. Despite some hesitations about the remake, I'm still going to get it and play the shit out of it most likely since as I mentioned, the OG is one of my top games of all-time and a game that I lost countless childhood hours to. That midget Mario though man, shit just looks weird.

Might even take a few days off of work for it so I can binge it and really go all-out with the nostalgia trip.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 27th, 2023, 03:21 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
That midget Mario though man, shit just looks weird.
Mario is the only one I didn't find too odd just because he kinda gets a super dumpy form in the Super Mario Bros. games whenever he lacks a mushroom. Peach was weirdly the one that stood out to me most but that's probably because she's the first one to be shown in the new style in the trailer, but it was really only in that cutscene transition to the new graphics where I was bugged by it. In the video thumbnail she looks fine to me.

Knowing this game resulted in the Paper Mario and Mario + Luigi games but having only played any of the former, how does this game compare to Paper Mario in general when it comes to gameplay? The trailer showed stuff like battling which seems to have similarities but I dunno what the rest of the game compares like. Not that I'm expecting or wanting this game to feel a lot like Paper Mario mind you; I'm just trying to use what I have experienced to get a better feel for what to expect out of this game, particularly since this came before anything else so I don't know what it established versus what it lacks compared to what came later.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 27th, 2023, 03:21 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
That midget Mario though man, shit just looks weird.
Mario is the only one I didn't find too odd just because he kinda gets a super dumpy form in the Super Mario Bros. games whenever he lacks a mushroom. Peach was weirdly the one that stood out to me most but that's probably because she's the first one to be shown in the new style in the trailer, but it was really only in that cutscene transition to the new graphics where I was bugged by it. In the video thumbnail she looks fine to me.

Knowing this game resulted in the Paper Mario and Mario + Luigi games but having only played any of the former, how does this game compare to Paper Mario in general when it comes to gameplay? The trailer showed stuff like battling which seems to have similarities but I dunno what the rest of the game compares like. Not that I'm expecting or wanting this game to feel a lot like Paper Mario mind you; I'm just trying to use what I have experienced to get a better feel for what to expect out of this game, particularly since this came before anything else so I don't know what it established versus what it lacks compared to what came later.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I never played the Paper Mario games, but SMRPG is a turn-based RPG (obv) that uses a timed hits system for attacking and defending. I know that Paper Mario uses a similar system, however I have seen people who have played both say that the timing in the Paper Mario games is much, much more forgiving. In SMRPG, even if you do get good enough timing to reduce the damage taken from an enemy attack, you have to be very precise if you want to make 0 damage from the attack, instead of just reduced damage. Attacking also has the same system where properly timing the hits will allow you to output more damage. Of course this being a complete remake, they could make changes to the system so it might not be exactly like it was in the SNES game.

I'd highly recommend going and playing the original first though, because you won't get the same level of charm from the remake as you will the original. It's a fairly short game for an RPG, so it's not something you'd have to worry about sinking 100 hours into, and if you play on an emulator, you can use speedup to get through the game even faster if you wanted.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I never played the Paper Mario games, but SMRPG is a turn-based RPG (obv) that uses a timed hits system for attacking and defending. I know that Paper Mario uses a similar system, however I have seen people who have played both say that the timing in the Paper Mario games is much, much more forgiving. In SMRPG, even if you do get good enough timing to reduce the damage taken from an enemy attack, you have to be very precise if you want to make 0 damage from the attack, instead of just reduced damage. Attacking also has the same system where properly timing the hits will allow you to output more damage. Of course this being a complete remake, they could make changes to the system so it might not be exactly like it was in the SNES game.

I'd highly recommend going and playing the original first though, because you won't get the same level of charm from the remake as you will the original. It's a fairly short game for an RPG, so it's not something you'd have to worry about sinking 100 hours into, and if you play on an emulator, you can use speedup to get through the game even faster if you wanted.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I've played every Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi rpg games. The only thing that's the same is the rpg elements. Everything else is usually changed up party wise for the Paper Mario series after restrictions were given after the first GC Paper Mario was released and is ever changing according to interviews done with the Paper Mario dev team.

I'm just excitired I'll be playing a remake of my fav SNES game at this point really.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I've played every Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi rpg games. The only thing that's the same is the rpg elements. Everything else is usually changed up party wise for the Paper Mario series after restrictions were given after the first GC Paper Mario was released and is ever changing according to interviews done with the Paper Mario dev team.

I'm just excitired I'll be playing a remake of my fav SNES game at this point really.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 28th, 2023, 07:46 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Hmm, the short length makes it tempting to maybe check the original out. I guess I'm just worried that playing the OG and going into this remake in quick succession may cause burnout of the remake for me since it's going to be a lot of the same all over again except for better graphics. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 28th, 2023, 07:46 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Hmm, the short length makes it tempting to maybe check the original out. I guess I'm just worried that playing the OG and going into this remake in quick succession may cause burnout of the remake for me since it's going to be a lot of the same all over again except for better graphics. Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
It looks like there will be some additions to the battle system that will make it feel fresh, so I don't think you have to worry about that being too similar. As for content, who knows what they might add? I have a feeling they'll add a couple of new things to the game just to spruce things up.

I would still recommend playing the original first just so you can experience it. Especially the soundtrack, as it sounds like the remade versions of the songs will change things up and won't have quite the same impact. 90s Square Soft OSTs were amazing.

As you mentioned, the game isn't terribly long, you could probably get through it pretty quick depending on free time. You could finish the game in July/August and then have however much time before you play the remake (assuming you're not playing it on release). Of course up to you, but I just highly recommend playing the OG first, not just to experience it, but also to get to know what all the new additions and changes are when you see them.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
It looks like there will be some additions to the battle system that will make it feel fresh, so I don't think you have to worry about that being too similar. As for content, who knows what they might add? I have a feeling they'll add a couple of new things to the game just to spruce things up.

I would still recommend playing the original first just so you can experience it. Especially the soundtrack, as it sounds like the remade versions of the songs will change things up and won't have quite the same impact. 90s Square Soft OSTs were amazing.

As you mentioned, the game isn't terribly long, you could probably get through it pretty quick depending on free time. You could finish the game in July/August and then have however much time before you play the remake (assuming you're not playing it on release). Of course up to you, but I just highly recommend playing the OG first, not just to experience it, but also to get to know what all the new additions and changes are when you see them.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Super Mario RPG | Sept. 14 Direct Trailer
A new trailer for Super Mario RPG was shown during today's Nintendo Direct, showing returning and new gameplay features.

• Action Commands
    Time your button presses with Action Commands to increase damage dealt or decrease damage received. When you time your attacks perfectly, you can now damage all enemies at once. Every successful Action Command will fill a gauge that when full, will let you unleash the three-character triple move! Depending on your current party, the move will change, so experiment with different combos.

• Post-Game Boss Rematches
    After beating the game, you'll be able to challenge bosses to a rematch! However, these rematches will feature stronger versions of the ones you fought before, so be prepared.

If you need a reminder, Super Mario RPG releases for Nintendo Switch on November 17, 2023.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Super Mario RPG | Sept. 14 Direct Trailer
A new trailer for Super Mario RPG was shown during today's Nintendo Direct, showing returning and new gameplay features.

• Action Commands
    Time your button presses with Action Commands to increase damage dealt or decrease damage received. When you time your attacks perfectly, you can now damage all enemies at once. Every successful Action Command will fill a gauge that when full, will let you unleash the three-character triple move! Depending on your current party, the move will change, so experiment with different combos.

• Post-Game Boss Rematches
    After beating the game, you'll be able to challenge bosses to a rematch! However, these rematches will feature stronger versions of the ones you fought before, so be prepared.

If you need a reminder, Super Mario RPG releases for Nintendo Switch on November 17, 2023.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As I mentioned in the Direct topic, I'm loving every thing I'm seeing currently except the AoE effects on timed hits and the triple attack system. Just hope it doesn't make the game any more of a breeze than it already is, because the game completely lacks any sort of challenge to begin with, and I doubt they're going to add difficulty modes or anything to this remake.

The post-game boss re-fights sound like they could deliver some decent challenge, but the problem there is that you can't do them until everything else in the game is already completed.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As I mentioned in the Direct topic, I'm loving every thing I'm seeing currently except the AoE effects on timed hits and the triple attack system. Just hope it doesn't make the game any more of a breeze than it already is, because the game completely lacks any sort of challenge to begin with, and I doubt they're going to add difficulty modes or anything to this remake.

The post-game boss re-fights sound like they could deliver some decent challenge, but the problem there is that you can't do them until everything else in the game is already completed.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm just happy it's getting remasted, adding anything else to it is just icing on the cake in my opinion. I love this game, especially the story where Peach almost gets married to a bad guy and he brings in a cake that you have to battle. Love it! But how your gonna rebattle a smushed cake, idk. lol
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm just happy it's getting remasted, adding anything else to it is just icing on the cake in my opinion. I love this game, especially the story where Peach almost gets married to a bad guy and he brings in a cake that you have to battle. Love it! But how your gonna rebattle a smushed cake, idk. lol
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 14th, 2023, 05:18 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I would suspect the triple attack can at least be ignored and just not used, but AoE looks to be non-optional so I would hope battles have been tweaked to balance better around that.

As for rematches being post-game it makes sense if they want to have all of them balanced equally and make earlier bosses feel as hard as late-game ones. Just making them harder but keeping early game bosses notably easier than late-game ones would just make the entire feature feel like a shoddy way of doing a harder difficulty that may as well just be applied to the entire game from the get go or treated as a NG+ feature like how FromSoft games scale everything up on a NG. This is more akin to if FromSoft didn't do NG and instead said "here's all our bosses but they're all at Level 99 instead of ranging from Level 50 - 99 instead of 1 - 49".

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 14th, 2023, 05:18 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I would suspect the triple attack can at least be ignored and just not used, but AoE looks to be non-optional so I would hope battles have been tweaked to balance better around that.

As for rematches being post-game it makes sense if they want to have all of them balanced equally and make earlier bosses feel as hard as late-game ones. Just making them harder but keeping early game bosses notably easier than late-game ones would just make the entire feature feel like a shoddy way of doing a harder difficulty that may as well just be applied to the entire game from the get go or treated as a NG+ feature like how FromSoft games scale everything up on a NG. This is more akin to if FromSoft didn't do NG and instead said "here's all our bosses but they're all at Level 99 instead of ranging from Level 50 - 99 instead of 1 - 49".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 31 8,824 9 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Resident Evil 4 (Remake) Moonface 94 11,929 Feb 16th, 2024, 04:22 PM
  Final Fantasy (Series) | Kitase Comments on FF6 Remake Moonface 3 210 Feb 1st, 2024, 04:06 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Mario Kart (Series) | MK8D Wave 6 Courses Mr EliteL 80 18,851 Nov 1st, 2023, 08:57 PM
  Super Mario Bros. Wonder Moonface 35 3,035 Oct 26th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: queenzelda