Tekken 8 | Season 1 Trailer
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,776
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Tekken 8 | Devil Jin Trailer

Jun: "Jin, don't let the power of the Devil consume you!"
Devil Jin: "Hmph! Suffer the lineage of family trauma you've avoided for so long!" *proceeds to chain her to a rock and slice her in half with a light saber*
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,776 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Tekken 8 | Devil Jin Trailer

Jun: "Jin, don't let the power of the Devil consume you!"
Devil Jin: "Hmph! Suffer the lineage of family trauma you've avoided for so long!" *proceeds to chain her to a rock and slice her in half with a light saber*
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,158
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I did play Devil Jin quite a lot in T5 and T6 but just barely used him in Tag2 and T7. I didn't really get into the story version of DJ when I played the demo so didn't see much, but this trailer really makes me want to go back and give him a go again as I was already planning to anyway. Didn't realise his hits have much more impact now, makes him look more brutal than ever especially doing that to Jun, really makes it look like there's nothing left of Jin and it's just the Devil Gene going wild.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,158 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I did play Devil Jin quite a lot in T5 and T6 but just barely used him in Tag2 and T7. I didn't really get into the story version of DJ when I played the demo so didn't see much, but this trailer really makes me want to go back and give him a go again as I was already planning to anyway. Didn't realise his hits have much more impact now, makes him look more brutal than ever especially doing that to Jun, really makes it look like there's nothing left of Jin and it's just the Devil Gene going wild.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Although it's obvious, I'm going to advise you to avoid going onto YouTube @Mr EliteL as apparently people who got the game early are putting up story spoilers on there. I've not seen any myself but saw a good number of people on the Tekken subreddit saying they'd seen it in their front pages or on the recommended sidebar while watching a video.

That aside, currently T8 is sitting at a 90 average from critic reviews, which apparently Tekken hasn't hit as an average score for quite some time now.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Although it's obvious, I'm going to advise you to avoid going onto YouTube @Mr EliteL as apparently people who got the game early are putting up story spoilers on there. I've not seen any myself but saw a good number of people on the Tekken subreddit saying they'd seen it in their front pages or on the recommended sidebar while watching a video.

That aside, currently T8 is sitting at a 90 average from critic reviews, which apparently Tekken hasn't hit as an average score for quite some time now.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I'm going avoid YT tomorrow as well as Twitch until I have the game in my hands, although I am willing to see how high the Twitch viewership numbers get to when I get up on Friday. I don't know when my copy will arrive as I ordered physical, hope it doesn't take too long.

90 average, not too shabby. I wonder how I'll feel when I've played a good amount. Tag2 is still my personal favourite overall though, T7 came close at one point but lacked in areas way too much I might not even consider it my 2nd anymore. Team Battle better be a DLC mode down the line because that's the mode that made me play each Tekken a lot until next release, even T6 though to a lesser extent than the rest, T7 without it made me stop playing when the 3rd DLC pack came around, I'd only play sparingly each DLC release then drop it. Although I have little to no hope for Team Battle now, Sadge. I'll just see how the game does for DLC and patches in the future but no need to decide right now how much or long I'll play T8.

My plan for Friday is either play story mode first or get to grips with Lee then story, then I'll give Lili, Devil Jin, King and possibly Xiaoyu a good try then Arcade Quest.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I'm going avoid YT tomorrow as well as Twitch until I have the game in my hands, although I am willing to see how high the Twitch viewership numbers get to when I get up on Friday. I don't know when my copy will arrive as I ordered physical, hope it doesn't take too long.

90 average, not too shabby. I wonder how I'll feel when I've played a good amount. Tag2 is still my personal favourite overall though, T7 came close at one point but lacked in areas way too much I might not even consider it my 2nd anymore. Team Battle better be a DLC mode down the line because that's the mode that made me play each Tekken a lot until next release, even T6 though to a lesser extent than the rest, T7 without it made me stop playing when the 3rd DLC pack came around, I'd only play sparingly each DLC release then drop it. Although I have little to no hope for Team Battle now, Sadge. I'll just see how the game does for DLC and patches in the future but no need to decide right now how much or long I'll play T8.

My plan for Friday is either play story mode first or get to grips with Lee then story, then I'll give Lili, Devil Jin, King and possibly Xiaoyu a good try then Arcade Quest.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Why would you need to avoid Twitch? Unless you were to go into a stream where someone is playing the game I'd expect spoilers would be almost impossible to come across. Unsure

If this game doesn't get Team Battle or any other modes added post launch, my dream wish would be that when the story of Tekken is done and no further mainline games will happen that the final Tekken game is just one that contains all of the fighters, stages, and modes that have appeared throughout the series. Almost like a game that celebrates everything about Tekken.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Why would you need to avoid Twitch? Unless you were to go into a stream where someone is playing the game I'd expect spoilers would be almost impossible to come across. Unsure

If this game doesn't get Team Battle or any other modes added post launch, my dream wish would be that when the story of Tekken is done and no further mainline games will happen that the final Tekken game is just one that contains all of the fighters, stages, and modes that have appeared throughout the series. Almost like a game that celebrates everything about Tekken.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah to just avoid any screens if I look in the Tekken 8 category, but don't need to now. Saw T8 got up to 86K viewers which is pretty good.

Yeah a final game to celebrate the series would be great, don't know when that will be though. If T8 does do well I'm thinking Tekken x Street Fighter will be made next then T9, apparently Harada said 8 will last for 10 years until the next game. 10 years sounds like a long wait so surely there will be something in between to fill in the gap, and with the producer of SF showing up during Evo 2023....wait no, Ono isn't part of Capcom anymore. OK, perhaps not then. XD
Still I think there will be a sequel because of a certain something.

Played through all Story Mode, quite enjoyed it and certainly better than T7's because everyone got a part to play, even if small with some having a bigger role than the rest plus no silly journalist slowing the momentum down. I played on Hard, some Kazuya fights took a while, namely when I was forced to play Lars who I just sucked with.
There was a teaser in the Story Mode that was similar to Tekken Force so I'm thinking that might actually happen at some point, that moment did get a bit clustered though and I sometimes got stuck in between enemies, so I got chain attacked around me, whilst there were gunners shooting at me too. XD

So far my only gripe is character customisation, it may have a bit more areas to customise than T7 but the options are worse than T7's. There are no unique clothing for characters like T7 had, everyone at least two for Upper Body and Lower and maybe a Full Body, also you could individually select the upper clothing of default/unique outfits or lower and mix them or with the common options. None of that in T8. Female characters have a very limited Lower Body options too it's like two skirts with slight variations and two trousers with slight variations. Similar with the Males too but they get a tiny bit more. Eh
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah to just avoid any screens if I look in the Tekken 8 category, but don't need to now. Saw T8 got up to 86K viewers which is pretty good.

Yeah a final game to celebrate the series would be great, don't know when that will be though. If T8 does do well I'm thinking Tekken x Street Fighter will be made next then T9, apparently Harada said 8 will last for 10 years until the next game. 10 years sounds like a long wait so surely there will be something in between to fill in the gap, and with the producer of SF showing up during Evo 2023....wait no, Ono isn't part of Capcom anymore. OK, perhaps not then. XD
Still I think there will be a sequel because of a certain something.

Played through all Story Mode, quite enjoyed it and certainly better than T7's because everyone got a part to play, even if small with some having a bigger role than the rest plus no silly journalist slowing the momentum down. I played on Hard, some Kazuya fights took a while, namely when I was forced to play Lars who I just sucked with.
There was a teaser in the Story Mode that was similar to Tekken Force so I'm thinking that might actually happen at some point, that moment did get a bit clustered though and I sometimes got stuck in between enemies, so I got chain attacked around me, whilst there were gunners shooting at me too. XD

So far my only gripe is character customisation, it may have a bit more areas to customise than T7 but the options are worse than T7's. There are no unique clothing for characters like T7 had, everyone at least two for Upper Body and Lower and maybe a Full Body, also you could individually select the upper clothing of default/unique outfits or lower and mix them or with the common options. None of that in T8. Female characters have a very limited Lower Body options too it's like two skirts with slight variations and two trousers with slight variations. Similar with the Males too but they get a tiny bit more. Eh
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh dang you finished the story already. I was expecting it to take you until tomorrow or the end of the weekend to get to the end so hadn't gone to find a YouTube playthrough of the story so I could talk about it with you and share my thoughts on things. XD

I do know about at least two of the character arcade endings (Jun and Kazuya) as they both got posted onto the Tekken subreddit pre-launch, so I guess those and the character customization is the best I can offer for a discussion right now that isn't just me asking questions about the game. Tongue
I've seen mixed responses to the character customization, with the only agreed upon view being that it's better than T7 but doesn't come on par to TTT2 or T6. Obviously I can't see all of the options to form my own opinion on it (not do I know the full scope of T7's customization to make a comparison) but I'm aware a lot of characters are lacking iconic clothing they've had in previous games (Hwoarang lacks his headband or classic Dobok, Nina doesn't have the bodysuit) and that there's apparently a lot of t-shirts for everyone?

Despite whatever the state is of T8's character customization though I have seen a lot of really good custom outfits over the last day or so that I wanna share:
Also, in case you didn't know this happened EL, there was a drone light show over London Bridge to celebrate the launch of Tekken 8: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments...in_london/
As neat as that is, I'm not sure how I feel yet about the idea of drones being used to play advertisements in the night sky. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh dang you finished the story already. I was expecting it to take you until tomorrow or the end of the weekend to get to the end so hadn't gone to find a YouTube playthrough of the story so I could talk about it with you and share my thoughts on things. XD

I do know about at least two of the character arcade endings (Jun and Kazuya) as they both got posted onto the Tekken subreddit pre-launch, so I guess those and the character customization is the best I can offer for a discussion right now that isn't just me asking questions about the game. Tongue
I've seen mixed responses to the character customization, with the only agreed upon view being that it's better than T7 but doesn't come on par to TTT2 or T6. Obviously I can't see all of the options to form my own opinion on it (not do I know the full scope of T7's customization to make a comparison) but I'm aware a lot of characters are lacking iconic clothing they've had in previous games (Hwoarang lacks his headband or classic Dobok, Nina doesn't have the bodysuit) and that there's apparently a lot of t-shirts for everyone?

Despite whatever the state is of T8's character customization though I have seen a lot of really good custom outfits over the last day or so that I wanna share:
Also, in case you didn't know this happened EL, there was a drone light show over London Bridge to celebrate the launch of Tekken 8: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments...in_london/
As neat as that is, I'm not sure how I feel yet about the idea of drones being used to play advertisements in the night sky. Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I made it my mission to do it all Day 1, also for the alternate ending as you can just enter the final chapter and play it through and let the other outcome happen on the final round/phase. I must say that final chapter is brilliantly done for the atmosphere, cutscenes, music, multiple phases, Jin being given some of his Tekken 3 moves and also Jun/Asuka Kazama style moves, Jin and Kazuya countering each other to prolong it.

I've done Jun, Reina, Lee and Nina Episodes so far, everyone gets 5 fights. There is an Arcade mode too with the usual 8 or so rounds but nothing at the end except a special boss fight against story Devil Kazuya, possibly other character but I've only played once so far.

I'd actually disagree with T8 being better than T7 as I already mentioned. Most of those are recolours of character's own costumes with a few exceptions like Leon. Plus the hairstyles used are also a few character's own just featured in the customisation for both male and female like for Paul is Lee's hair (Lee's hair is also in the female selection, another is Leo's too and a few others). The recolouring is fine and all as that's mostly what I've been customising so far, just needs more unique or more variety. I don't particularly like any of the T-shirts either, they just look crap with the male builds. XD

Any other ads with drones in I wouldn't want to see but damn that one for this game looks incredible. Gasp
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah I made it my mission to do it all Day 1, also for the alternate ending as you can just enter the final chapter and play it through and let the other outcome happen on the final round/phase. I must say that final chapter is brilliantly done for the atmosphere, cutscenes, music, multiple phases, Jin being given some of his Tekken 3 moves and also Jun/Asuka Kazama style moves, Jin and Kazuya countering each other to prolong it.

I've done Jun, Reina, Lee and Nina Episodes so far, everyone gets 5 fights. There is an Arcade mode too with the usual 8 or so rounds but nothing at the end except a special boss fight against story Devil Kazuya, possibly other character but I've only played once so far.

I'd actually disagree with T8 being better than T7 as I already mentioned. Most of those are recolours of character's own costumes with a few exceptions like Leon. Plus the hairstyles used are also a few character's own just featured in the customisation for both male and female like for Paul is Lee's hair (Lee's hair is also in the female selection, another is Leo's too and a few others). The recolouring is fine and all as that's mostly what I've been customising so far, just needs more unique or more variety. I don't particularly like any of the T-shirts either, they just look crap with the male builds. XD

Any other ads with drones in I wouldn't want to see but damn that one for this game looks incredible. Gasp
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm aware of the alternate story ending if you lose in the fight that triggers it, and I have seen it but barely remember it. LOL

So besides the number of fights what's the difference between the Episodes and Arcade mode? I'm just wondering why the devs bothered to put character endings into Episodes over going the classic way with the Arcade mode when both modes are present in this game (unlike T6 if memory serves correctly).

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm aware of the alternate story ending if you lose in the fight that triggers it, and I have seen it but barely remember it. LOL

So besides the number of fights what's the difference between the Episodes and Arcade mode? I'm just wondering why the devs bothered to put character endings into Episodes over going the classic way with the Arcade mode when both modes are present in this game (unlike T6 if memory serves correctly).
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
The alternate ending is kinda meh really, Kazuya just continues on the warpath leading G Corp as a supreme power over everything. That definitely won't be the canon going into T9. XD

I wondered why they couldn't just put the Intro and Endings in the Arcade Mode instead too. Little reason to play Arcade other than the last stage fights. The Character Episodes at least have fights against 5 rivals fitting to the character chosen and not just completely random. Kazuya faces Paul, Claudio, Victor, Lee then Lars. Lee has Bryan, Yoshimitsu, Jack-8 (those three to test his battle suit against), Lars then Kazuya.

I realised why the Into The Stratosphere stage happens as I was confused during story as to how it launches into space, because I wasn't paying attention first time.
Also, t-shirts don't look as bad on characters as I previously thought. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
The alternate ending is kinda meh really, Kazuya just continues on the warpath leading G Corp as a supreme power over everything. That definitely won't be the canon going into T9. XD

I wondered why they couldn't just put the Intro and Endings in the Arcade Mode instead too. Little reason to play Arcade other than the last stage fights. The Character Episodes at least have fights against 5 rivals fitting to the character chosen and not just completely random. Kazuya faces Paul, Claudio, Victor, Lee then Lars. Lee has Bryan, Yoshimitsu, Jack-8 (those three to test his battle suit against), Lars then Kazuya.

I realised why the Into The Stratosphere stage happens as I was confused during story as to how it launches into space, because I wasn't paying attention first time.
Also, t-shirts don't look as bad on characters as I previously thought. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I finally started watching a playthrough of the Story Mode, but since it's three and a half hours long I'm not gonna binge the entire thing in one hit. I did consider just watching cutscenes and no gameplay but given there's a lot of moments within the actual gameplay itself I'm either going to miss some cool stuff or just end up with a video filled with random jumpy gameplay cutscenes mixed in with the regular cutscenes. Anyway, I just watched to the end of Chapter 3:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I finally started watching a playthrough of the Story Mode, but since it's three and a half hours long I'm not gonna binge the entire thing in one hit. I did consider just watching cutscenes and no gameplay but given there's a lot of moments within the actual gameplay itself I'm either going to miss some cool stuff or just end up with a video filled with random jumpy gameplay cutscenes mixed in with the regular cutscenes. Anyway, I just watched to the end of Chapter 3:

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
For anyone else: Here's my rendition of what the Tekken 1 tournament would look like with full brackets, what?!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
For anyone else: Here's my rendition of what the Tekken 1 tournament would look like with full brackets, what?!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I finished watching the whole Story Mode after my last post so I know everything now.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I finished watching the whole Story Mode after my last post so I know everything now.

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Haven't been playing much recently just here and there, but plan to try out online soon especially after buying a wire to connect directly to my router instead of WiFi because I can't trust it after it disconnected during the Beta.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Haven't been playing much recently just here and there, but plan to try out online soon especially after buying a wire to connect directly to my router instead of WiFi because I can't trust it after it disconnected during the Beta.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd have to assume Reina obtained the Devil Gene from being experimented on, since I doubt poor Heihachi managed to put a bun in another tainted oven and if he had he would have absolutely nuked the little shit, and Reina doesn't act like Heihachi gave her the typical Mishima family treatment. Tekken 4 also has Heihachi seeking the Devil Gene for this purpose:

Tekken Wiki Wrote:
Two years ago Heihachi failed to capture Ogre. He made his researchers collect blood and tissue left behind by Ogre and attempted to create a new life form by combining its genetic material with his own. However, the experiment failed. Heihachi learned that he lacked the Devil Gene necessary to harness Ogre's powers.
It would make the most sense (from the options we can speculate about) for Reina to have come from this. We never get a definitive answer to whether he actually gets a sample of the gene from Jin or Kazuya, and he may have even got one from Jinpachi.

Oh a trailer showed Yoshi and Bryan in that battlefield section? Which one shows it?

I'm curious, what stages would you say have good songs? I tried listening to the OST on Spotify and I gotta be honest, I didn't vibe with anything I heard. It might be a case of the OST being better in-game than out of it, but that sucks if so because I feel like older Tekken games have OST's that can be good independent of the game.

Oh, if you're wondering why I didn't spoiler tag this it was because I figured since just us are in this thread there's little need to keep hiding everything. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd have to assume Reina obtained the Devil Gene from being experimented on, since I doubt poor Heihachi managed to put a bun in another tainted oven and if he had he would have absolutely nuked the little shit, and Reina doesn't act like Heihachi gave her the typical Mishima family treatment. Tekken 4 also has Heihachi seeking the Devil Gene for this purpose:

Tekken Wiki Wrote:
Two years ago Heihachi failed to capture Ogre. He made his researchers collect blood and tissue left behind by Ogre and attempted to create a new life form by combining its genetic material with his own. However, the experiment failed. Heihachi learned that he lacked the Devil Gene necessary to harness Ogre's powers.
It would make the most sense (from the options we can speculate about) for Reina to have come from this. We never get a definitive answer to whether he actually gets a sample of the gene from Jin or Kazuya, and he may have even got one from Jinpachi.

Oh a trailer showed Yoshi and Bryan in that battlefield section? Which one shows it?

I'm curious, what stages would you say have good songs? I tried listening to the OST on Spotify and I gotta be honest, I didn't vibe with anything I heard. It might be a case of the OST being better in-game than out of it, but that sucks if so because I feel like older Tekken games have OST's that can be good independent of the game.

Oh, if you're wondering why I didn't spoiler tag this it was because I figured since just us are in this thread there's little need to keep hiding everything. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elden Ring | Shadow of the Erdtree Trailer Moonface 139 23,847 Mar 9th, 2024, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Final Fantasy XVI | DLC Trailer + Release Dates Moonface 19 2,666 Dec 8th, 2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Tekken (Series) Mr EliteL 49 29,556 Jul 21st, 2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Moonface