GotY/Gaming in 2023 Megathread
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I didn't realize Hogwarts Legacy was 50% off in the Winter Sale right now. Might be time to double dip on it.

Nice to see Lethal Company in the Silver category. Not bad for an indie game made by... is it one dev? I think I remember hearing it's just one person who made it, but I could be misremembering.

Sons of the Forest benefited greatly by catching the attention of a lot of big streamers and getting boosted in a huge way thanks to that. Kind of like how Persona 5 many years ago got as popular as it did because a lot of gigantic streamers who never played a Persona game for some reason found interest in P5 and streamed it and a lot of people who would have otherwise never even paid attention to the series ended up buying it, otherwise P5 would have had the same mediocre sales a niche series normally has. Streamers can influence the sale of a game in pretty big ways (see: Phasmophobia).
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I didn't realize Hogwarts Legacy was 50% off in the Winter Sale right now. Might be time to double dip on it.

Nice to see Lethal Company in the Silver category. Not bad for an indie game made by... is it one dev? I think I remember hearing it's just one person who made it, but I could be misremembering.

Sons of the Forest benefited greatly by catching the attention of a lot of big streamers and getting boosted in a huge way thanks to that. Kind of like how Persona 5 many years ago got as popular as it did because a lot of gigantic streamers who never played a Persona game for some reason found interest in P5 and streamed it and a lot of people who would have otherwise never even paid attention to the series ended up buying it, otherwise P5 would have had the same mediocre sales a niche series normally has. Streamers can influence the sale of a game in pretty big ways (see: Phasmophobia).
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Dec 22nd, 2023, 11:20 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Dec 21st, 2023, 08:03 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I just play the version I have on my Switch though I do have both Java/Bedrock I tend to play Bedrock a lot. I just like to build my boat and explore all of the world. I'm hoping to discover another woodland mansion. My husband and I came upon one in my world I had hosted for a while, and we discovered a huge wool grey cat made by the people living there and my husband learned to teleport it WHOLE to our base. 🤦‍♀️ The hosted world I had is long gone now, but I still remember our finding that place. It was a lot of fun. I just like to look at the world inside of Minecraft in peaceful mode and just mindlessly float along. :3
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought all console versions of Minecraft were the Bedrock version, while Java is exclusive to PC. If you do have the game on PC (the Java version in particular as I don't think this exists for Bedrock) I'd recommend looking into OptiFine, as it makes the game run significantly better. Wink 

I actually do have Java on pc. I just tend to play Bedrock more since I don't like playing keyboard and mouse via Java. So eh. Besides if I wanted to mod minecraft, I'd play pokecraft. lol
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Dec 22nd, 2023, 11:20 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Dec 21st, 2023, 08:03 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I just play the version I have on my Switch though I do have both Java/Bedrock I tend to play Bedrock a lot. I just like to build my boat and explore all of the world. I'm hoping to discover another woodland mansion. My husband and I came upon one in my world I had hosted for a while, and we discovered a huge wool grey cat made by the people living there and my husband learned to teleport it WHOLE to our base. 🤦‍♀️ The hosted world I had is long gone now, but I still remember our finding that place. It was a lot of fun. I just like to look at the world inside of Minecraft in peaceful mode and just mindlessly float along. :3
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought all console versions of Minecraft were the Bedrock version, while Java is exclusive to PC. If you do have the game on PC (the Java version in particular as I don't think this exists for Bedrock) I'd recommend looking into OptiFine, as it makes the game run significantly better. Wink 

I actually do have Java on pc. I just tend to play Bedrock more since I don't like playing keyboard and mouse via Java. So eh. Besides if I wanted to mod minecraft, I'd play pokecraft. lol
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that Baldur's Gate 3 is the first game to win a GotY award from what is viewed to be the five major award ceremonies; Golden Joystick Awards, The Game Awards, D.I.C.E. Awards, Game Developer's Choice Awards, and the BAFTA's.

Other games have come close with 4/5 GotY awards from these ceremonies in previous years, which are Elden Ring, God of War, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This list breaks down what ceremonies gave awards to which games per year:
  • 2014 - Dark Souls II (Golden Joystick), Dragon Age: Inquisition (The Game Awards, DICE), Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (GDC), Destiny (BAFTA)
  • 2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, GDC), Fallout 4 (DICE, BAFTA)
  • 2016 - Dark Souls III (Golden Joystick), Overwatch (The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (BAFTA)
  • 2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), What Remains of Edith Finch (BAFTA)
  • 2018 - Fortnite (Golden Joystick), God of War (The Game Awards, DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
  • 2019 - Resident Evil 2 (Golden Joystick), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (The Game Awards), Untitled Goose Game (DICE, GDC), Outer Wilds (BAFTA)
  • 2020 - The Last of Us Part II (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards), Hades (DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
  • 2021 - Resident Evil: Village (Golden Joystick), It Takes Two (The Game Awards, DICE), Inscryption (GDC), Returnal (BAFTA)
  • 2022 - Elden Ring (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), Vampire Survivors (BAFTA)
  • 2023 - Baldur's Gate 3 (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
It makes me wonder when the next time will be that we see a game manage to pull that off. It isn't even like 2023 didn't have other big titles that could have potentially put Baldur's Gate into the 4/5 club. Gasp
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that Baldur's Gate 3 is the first game to win a GotY award from what is viewed to be the five major award ceremonies; Golden Joystick Awards, The Game Awards, D.I.C.E. Awards, Game Developer's Choice Awards, and the BAFTA's.

Other games have come close with 4/5 GotY awards from these ceremonies in previous years, which are Elden Ring, God of War, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This list breaks down what ceremonies gave awards to which games per year:
  • 2014 - Dark Souls II (Golden Joystick), Dragon Age: Inquisition (The Game Awards, DICE), Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (GDC), Destiny (BAFTA)
  • 2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, GDC), Fallout 4 (DICE, BAFTA)
  • 2016 - Dark Souls III (Golden Joystick), Overwatch (The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (BAFTA)
  • 2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), What Remains of Edith Finch (BAFTA)
  • 2018 - Fortnite (Golden Joystick), God of War (The Game Awards, DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
  • 2019 - Resident Evil 2 (Golden Joystick), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (The Game Awards), Untitled Goose Game (DICE, GDC), Outer Wilds (BAFTA)
  • 2020 - The Last of Us Part II (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards), Hades (DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
  • 2021 - Resident Evil: Village (Golden Joystick), It Takes Two (The Game Awards, DICE), Inscryption (GDC), Returnal (BAFTA)
  • 2022 - Elden Ring (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC), Vampire Survivors (BAFTA)
  • 2023 - Baldur's Gate 3 (Golden Joystick, The Game Awards, DICE, GDC, BAFTA)
It makes me wonder when the next time will be that we see a game manage to pull that off. It isn't even like 2023 didn't have other big titles that could have potentially put Baldur's Gate into the 4/5 club. Gasp

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest Gaming Purchase Mr EliteL 366 128,834 7 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Nintendo Direct Megathread ShiraNoMai 34 5,108 Apr 18th, 2024, 11:58 PM
  Share Your Gaming Tier Lists Mr EliteL 5 152 Apr 1st, 2024, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Kyng
  State of Play Megathread | Jan. 31 Show Announced queenzelda 81 23,183 Feb 16th, 2024, 08:42 PM
  E3 2023 and Beyond Cancelled Moonface 34 4,967 Dec 16th, 2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kyng