Worst (Cyber) Attack to a Game Company?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So if you haven't heard, Insomniac Games were hacked recently by a ransomware group who threatened to publish everything they had obtained unless a ransom of $2 million was paid. That threat was made a week ago and the ransom went unpaid, and as a result the group have now published more than 1.67TB of internal data belonging to Insomniac, which includes files for the upcoming Wolverine game, Spider-Man 2, two other game projects that are planned for release in 2029 and 2033, as well as the personal data of Insomniac employees which includes passport scans, I-9 forms, Slack channels and more: https://www.cyberdaily.au/culture/9959-s...ernal-data

Obviously this is an incredibly damaging attack against Insomniac, mainly due to the amount of personal data that has been shared. I'm used to most stories about studios being targets for a malicious endeavor to be that game footage and/or details got leaked early, which while bad isn't remotely on par to the personal data leaks Insomniac have been victim of. So I was wondering to myself if this might be the worst attack a game company has suffered from, or if there's other instances that were just as bad or god forbid actually worse than this one?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So if you haven't heard, Insomniac Games were hacked recently by a ransomware group who threatened to publish everything they had obtained unless a ransom of $2 million was paid. That threat was made a week ago and the ransom went unpaid, and as a result the group have now published more than 1.67TB of internal data belonging to Insomniac, which includes files for the upcoming Wolverine game, Spider-Man 2, two other game projects that are planned for release in 2029 and 2033, as well as the personal data of Insomniac employees which includes passport scans, I-9 forms, Slack channels and more: https://www.cyberdaily.au/culture/9959-s...ernal-data

Obviously this is an incredibly damaging attack against Insomniac, mainly due to the amount of personal data that has been shared. I'm used to most stories about studios being targets for a malicious endeavor to be that game footage and/or details got leaked early, which while bad isn't remotely on par to the personal data leaks Insomniac have been victim of. So I was wondering to myself if this might be the worst attack a game company has suffered from, or if there's other instances that were just as bad or god forbid actually worse than this one?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
A recurring theme for me posting on these types of threads is that an event was so monumentous that it was given its own Wikipedia page. Today is no different. I am, of course, referring to the Sony Network Hack of 2011. So easily we forget that 77 million people had their personal details exposed. Combine that with a delayed response and a CATASTROPHICALLY bad attempt at damage control, and you have a hack so monumentous, that literal GOVERNMENTS got involved.

Also, trying to search for the year this happened gave me a search result of 2023 as recommended, and SONY LITERALLY HAD THIS HAPPEN AGAIN 2 MONTHS AGO, ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
A recurring theme for me posting on these types of threads is that an event was so monumentous that it was given its own Wikipedia page. Today is no different. I am, of course, referring to the Sony Network Hack of 2011. So easily we forget that 77 million people had their personal details exposed. Combine that with a delayed response and a CATASTROPHICALLY bad attempt at damage control, and you have a hack so monumentous, that literal GOVERNMENTS got involved.

Also, trying to search for the year this happened gave me a search result of 2023 as recommended, and SONY LITERALLY HAD THIS HAPPEN AGAIN 2 MONTHS AGO, ARE YOU SERIOUS?
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I'm not. Sony gives two shits about defending against cyber attacks and just let's them happen over and over. Why do they care? Why should they? Sony get tons of cash thrown at them just for the privilege of someone owning a PS5. 

Sony isn't your friend, it certainly doesn't care about the people who work in their company. If they did this shit wouldn't keep happening. And what's sad is the government does nothing. Nobody cares, it's all stuff people just monopolize anyway. In the end it's another front page piece on the news forgotten in time, just like the first, second, third times.

smh
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I'm not. Sony gives two shits about defending against cyber attacks and just let's them happen over and over. Why do they care? Why should they? Sony get tons of cash thrown at them just for the privilege of someone owning a PS5. 

Sony isn't your friend, it certainly doesn't care about the people who work in their company. If they did this shit wouldn't keep happening. And what's sad is the government does nothing. Nobody cares, it's all stuff people just monopolize anyway. In the end it's another front page piece on the news forgotten in time, just like the first, second, third times.

smh
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
100% what queenzelda posted. 

If anything the hacks I feel are going to be worse. Set a pass code: change your password.  It's about to hit the fan... 
[Image: shadow10.png]
"You best try your hardest. Or else you'll get hurt" - Shadow before fighting Emerl.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
100% what queenzelda posted. 

If anything the hacks I feel are going to be worse. Set a pass code: change your password.  It's about to hit the fan... 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 21st, 2023, 02:17 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I did recall the 2011 PSN hack when making this thread, but I did forget that it leaked that much personal customer information. I can't remember if I saw that SIE hack at the time it happened or not though. I expect the only way this Insomniac hack would somehow end up more damaging to Sony than the 2011 hack would be if it drastically hurts their deal with Disney for the exclusive rights to Marvel games for the next decade. I doubt Disney is going to take kindly to that information going public, especially if another company uses it as leverage in future negotiations with them.

(Dec 21st, 2023, 07:13 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

smh
No company is your friend nor family, no matter how much they make the claim or if you even work for them. Despite that, Sony should have been doing better at preventing these attacks long ago and clearly haven't made much effort, since the Insomniac hack apparently took less than 20 minutes to pull off with such little effort that it even surprised the group who hacked them in the first place.
As I said above, Disney having their private business dealings with Sony/Insomniac being made public through this is very likely to piss them off big time and I'd expect them to hold Sony fully accountable for allowing this hack to be so easy to pull off. Unless I'm mistaken, previous attacks on Sony haven't dragged in other companies so as long as Sony doesn't lose customers (which it doesn't to any meaningful amount) they don't really see a change to their business once the dust settles. Having Disney dragged into this one though means Sony as a business will be answering to another business, and we all know Disney doesn't mess about when it comes to managing their own business so if they target Sony for any damage this hack brings their way that'll hurt Sony a lot. If that happens and Sony still doesn't learn though, I genuinely think that any chance of Sony learning is beyond hope at that point.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 21st, 2023, 02:17 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I did recall the 2011 PSN hack when making this thread, but I did forget that it leaked that much personal customer information. I can't remember if I saw that SIE hack at the time it happened or not though. I expect the only way this Insomniac hack would somehow end up more damaging to Sony than the 2011 hack would be if it drastically hurts their deal with Disney for the exclusive rights to Marvel games for the next decade. I doubt Disney is going to take kindly to that information going public, especially if another company uses it as leverage in future negotiations with them.

(Dec 21st, 2023, 07:13 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

smh
No company is your friend nor family, no matter how much they make the claim or if you even work for them. Despite that, Sony should have been doing better at preventing these attacks long ago and clearly haven't made much effort, since the Insomniac hack apparently took less than 20 minutes to pull off with such little effort that it even surprised the group who hacked them in the first place.
As I said above, Disney having their private business dealings with Sony/Insomniac being made public through this is very likely to piss them off big time and I'd expect them to hold Sony fully accountable for allowing this hack to be so easy to pull off. Unless I'm mistaken, previous attacks on Sony haven't dragged in other companies so as long as Sony doesn't lose customers (which it doesn't to any meaningful amount) they don't really see a change to their business once the dust settles. Having Disney dragged into this one though means Sony as a business will be answering to another business, and we all know Disney doesn't mess about when it comes to managing their own business so if they target Sony for any damage this hack brings their way that'll hurt Sony a lot. If that happens and Sony still doesn't learn though, I genuinely think that any chance of Sony learning is beyond hope at that point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best/Worst DLC? Moonface 2 62 Apr 13th, 2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 795 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  What was the worst incident of spoilers that ever happened to you? popopdc 1 599 Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:15 PM
  Worst Game Launch? Moonface 24 18,767 Sep 7th, 2022, 08:28 PM
  Best/Worst Sections in Games Moonface 14 9,738 Jul 14th, 2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: WR91