Nintendo Sues Yuzu; $2.4m Settlement Agreed
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In some fun news for the day, Nintendo are threatening to sue the creators of the Switch emulator Yuzu, claiming its tech illegally circumvents Nintendo's software encryption and facilitates piracy. Nintendo is therefore seeking damages for alleged violations and a shutdown of the emulator.

Source:
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In some fun news for the day, Nintendo are threatening to sue the creators of the Switch emulator Yuzu, claiming its tech illegally circumvents Nintendo's software encryption and facilitates piracy. Nintendo is therefore seeking damages for alleged violations and a shutdown of the emulator.

Source:
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This is purely Nintendo throwing their big money ballsacks around on the little guys cuz these poor devs do not have the money to hold up their end in court, even if Nintendo has practically no leg to stand on with this case. They blame the leaking and subsequent distribution of their videogame one week prior to street date (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom) on Yuzu, the OPEN-SOURCE emulation software, rather than their distributors for breaking street date. Nintendo claims it caused their fans to be distressed on social media cuz people were leaking spoilers, once again still blaming Yuzu for this. Nevermind the fact that these are perfectly legal copies of the game being played on their legal Nintendo Switch systems.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This is purely Nintendo throwing their big money ballsacks around on the little guys cuz these poor devs do not have the money to hold up their end in court, even if Nintendo has practically no leg to stand on with this case. They blame the leaking and subsequent distribution of their videogame one week prior to street date (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom) on Yuzu, the OPEN-SOURCE emulation software, rather than their distributors for breaking street date. Nintendo claims it caused their fans to be distressed on social media cuz people were leaking spoilers, once again still blaming Yuzu for this. Nevermind the fact that these are perfectly legal copies of the game being played on their legal Nintendo Switch systems.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 29th, 2024, 03:39 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
It never crossed my mind that the distributors are the reason TotK (or any game for that matter) got out early, and even without Yuzu the spoilers would still be going around. As for anyone being distressed, do the smart thing anyone who wants to avoid spoilers does and avoid social media when word gets out that something is being spoiled. You'd have to do the same thing if you didn't get a copy of the game at launch or even if you did get a copy, people who get further than you can still put that onto social media to spoil you on what comes later.
I already thought Nintendo were pulling at straws to paint Yuzu in a bad light, but now I wish Yuzu could fight back and get Nintendo slapped silly in court as being full of shit.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 29th, 2024, 03:39 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
It never crossed my mind that the distributors are the reason TotK (or any game for that matter) got out early, and even without Yuzu the spoilers would still be going around. As for anyone being distressed, do the smart thing anyone who wants to avoid spoilers does and avoid social media when word gets out that something is being spoiled. You'd have to do the same thing if you didn't get a copy of the game at launch or even if you did get a copy, people who get further than you can still put that onto social media to spoil you on what comes later.
I already thought Nintendo were pulling at straws to paint Yuzu in a bad light, but now I wish Yuzu could fight back and get Nintendo slapped silly in court as being full of shit.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yuzu to Pay $2.4 million to Nintendo; Yuzu to Also Cease All Operations
Well, looks like Nintendo win. Both parties have mutually agreed to have Yuzu pay $2.4 million in damage to Nintendo, as well as for Yuzu to cease any and all operations, including distribution of the emulation software in any and all parts.

Sources:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/...0.10.0.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/...0.10.1.pdf

I wasn't aware before this that Yuzu were apparently making money from this via Patreon, which is probably a huge factor in Nintendo going after them so hard.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yuzu to Pay $2.4 million to Nintendo; Yuzu to Also Cease All Operations
Well, looks like Nintendo win. Both parties have mutually agreed to have Yuzu pay $2.4 million in damage to Nintendo, as well as for Yuzu to cease any and all operations, including distribution of the emulation software in any and all parts.

Sources:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/...0.10.0.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/...0.10.1.pdf

I wasn't aware before this that Yuzu were apparently making money from this via Patreon, which is probably a huge factor in Nintendo going after them so hard.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I didn't know that either but once I realised that Yuzu got supportive money for TOTK they clearly dug their own grave unfortunately.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I didn't know that either but once I realised that Yuzu got supportive money for TOTK they clearly dug their own grave unfortunately.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Yea, any emulation software that is basically supported (monetarily) is always brought down by the big N, it shouldn't be a surprise by now.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Yea, any emulation software that is basically supported (monetarily) is always brought down by the big N, it shouldn't be a surprise by now.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
I know a few friends who are happy about this turn of events. I think it's because they thought the Yuzu developers were getting away with creating a Switch on pc and getting paid for it, all the while boasting about it, their take. 🤷‍♂️
[Image: shadow10.png]
"You best try your hardest. Or else you'll get hurt" - Shadow before fighting Emerl.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
I know a few friends who are happy about this turn of events. I think it's because they thought the Yuzu developers were getting away with creating a Switch on pc and getting paid for it, all the while boasting about it, their take. 🤷‍♂️

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nintendo Direct Megathread ShiraNoMai 34 5,111 Apr 18th, 2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Nintendo Partner Direct - Feb. 21, 2024 Moonface 8 287 Mar 14th, 2024, 05:14 PM
  Super Nintendo World Moonface 33 8,626 Jan 26th, 2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Nintendo Direct - September 14, 2023 Moonface 3 433 Sep 14th, 2023, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Nintendo Direct - June 21, 2023 Moonface 4 774 Jul 18th, 2023, 05:55 PM