Notable/Celebrity Deaths | Mutsumi Inomata (63), "Tales of" character designer
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It sounds like that rip current was really bad since the normal response to those is either swim parallel to the shore or let the current take you until it naturally lets you out by reaching the weaker edges of the current from following the flow. My dad has been caught in one and he told me about how you never swim towards the shore while still in the current, so the fact they had little choice but to do that here really shows the uniqueness of the situation.
I wonder if Japan has any sort of system of signaling to swimmers when a rip current is present in popular areas of water? I know in the UK, especially in Cornwall, that the beaches will have flags to indicate where life guards have checked the water for safety and if a rip current is detected they immediately black flag the section and forbid anyone from entering the water in that area of the beach, and will instantly call to you via loud speaker if you're seen in the water there. It's a very useful system that helps keep people safe in areas that are popular on the coast and I wish it had been in place at that Japanese diving spot. Sad
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It sounds like that rip current was really bad since the normal response to those is either swim parallel to the shore or let the current take you until it naturally lets you out by reaching the weaker edges of the current from following the flow. My dad has been caught in one and he told me about how you never swim towards the shore while still in the current, so the fact they had little choice but to do that here really shows the uniqueness of the situation.
I wonder if Japan has any sort of system of signaling to swimmers when a rip current is present in popular areas of water? I know in the UK, especially in Cornwall, that the beaches will have flags to indicate where life guards have checked the water for safety and if a rip current is detected they immediately black flag the section and forbid anyone from entering the water in that area of the beach, and will instantly call to you via loud speaker if you're seen in the water there. It's a very useful system that helps keep people safe in areas that are popular on the coast and I wish it had been in place at that Japanese diving spot. Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just saw that Robbie Coltrane, the actor who played Hagrid in Harry Potter, has passed away at 72 years of age.

Apparently he said this during the Harry Potter reunion special, which is also his last appearance on screen:
Robbie Coltrane Wrote:
"The legacy of the movies is, I suspect, that my children's generation will show them to their children. So you could be watching it in 50 years' time, easy. I'll not be here, sadly, but... But Hagrid will, yes."

I don't think I saw him in anything outside of HP, but I loved the character of Hagrid and 72 still feels young to me. I didn't see any mention for a cause of death so that sucks if he passed naturally at the age. Sad

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just saw that Robbie Coltrane, the actor who played Hagrid in Harry Potter, has passed away at 72 years of age.

Apparently he said this during the Harry Potter reunion special, which is also his last appearance on screen:
Robbie Coltrane Wrote:
"The legacy of the movies is, I suspect, that my children's generation will show them to their children. So you could be watching it in 50 years' time, easy. I'll not be here, sadly, but... But Hagrid will, yes."

I don't think I saw him in anything outside of HP, but I loved the character of Hagrid and 72 still feels young to me. I didn't see any mention for a cause of death so that sucks if he passed naturally at the age. Sad
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Darn, well I know Hagrid was his most iconic role but know he's been in a lot more obviously and was a great actor. It may have been a short role, but liked him in Blackadder The Third which was probably the first thing I saw him in. So yes he gets to live on through those films and such. RIP
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Darn, well I know Hagrid was his most iconic role but know he's been in a lot more obviously and was a great actor. It may have been a short role, but liked him in Blackadder The Third which was probably the first thing I saw him in. So yes he gets to live on through those films and such. RIP
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious if he passed from anything in particular since 72 isn't that old these days, and the most I found was he was suffering from illness for two years prior to his passing, but what that illness was and whether it played any part in his death I can't ascertain. He was also suffering from osteoarthritis which in 2016 he said caused him constant pain all day, which put him into a wheelchair as of 2019. Whatever caused his passing, I get the feeling it was a mercy for him given how he was living.

I also never realized he played a role in "The World is Not Enough" until seeing it mentioned on his Wiki page. As soon as I saw it I knew what character he played, and never realized it was him because of how different he looks clean shaven in that movie compared to his look as Hagrid. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious if he passed from anything in particular since 72 isn't that old these days, and the most I found was he was suffering from illness for two years prior to his passing, but what that illness was and whether it played any part in his death I can't ascertain. He was also suffering from osteoarthritis which in 2016 he said caused him constant pain all day, which put him into a wheelchair as of 2019. Whatever caused his passing, I get the feeling it was a mercy for him given how he was living.

I also never realized he played a role in "The World is Not Enough" until seeing it mentioned on his Wiki page. As soon as I saw it I knew what character he played, and never realized it was him because of how different he looks clean shaven in that movie compared to his look as Hagrid. XD
Daisy Johnson Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
The Sims 4, Sims 3
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 5,276
WipEout Silent Hill Dragon Quest 
(Aug 8th, 2022, 10:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:
’Grease’ Star Olivia Newton-John Has Passed Away at 73 Years Old

Cosmopolitan Wrote:
After a 30-year battle with breast cancer, Olivia Newton-John has passed away. Her rep confirmed the news, saying Olivia "died peacefully at her ranch in Southern California Monday morning, surrounded by family and friends." She was only 73 years old.

Her husband posted confirmation to her official Facebook page, saying the following:

"Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.

Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund (ONJFoundationFund.org).

I didn't even know she had cancer; I haven't heard anything about her in years and know nothing of her outside of Grease. I'm shocked she had cancer for so long because I also didn't know you could have cancer for that long. RIP. Sad

This one hit me the hardest so far.  I had so much respect for the woman. She was one of my idols. I looked up to her when it came to my start in school chorus and later in the church choir.  She really will be missed!
[Image: GsFGwd4.gif]
[Image: V1uxtCc.png] 
Daisy Johnson Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
The Sims 4, Sims 3
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 5,276 WipEout Silent Hill Dragon Quest 
(Aug 8th, 2022, 10:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:
’Grease’ Star Olivia Newton-John Has Passed Away at 73 Years Old

Cosmopolitan Wrote:
After a 30-year battle with breast cancer, Olivia Newton-John has passed away. Her rep confirmed the news, saying Olivia "died peacefully at her ranch in Southern California Monday morning, surrounded by family and friends." She was only 73 years old.

Her husband posted confirmation to her official Facebook page, saying the following:

"Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.

Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund (ONJFoundationFund.org).

I didn't even know she had cancer; I haven't heard anything about her in years and know nothing of her outside of Grease. I'm shocked she had cancer for so long because I also didn't know you could have cancer for that long. RIP. Sad

This one hit me the hardest so far.  I had so much respect for the woman. She was one of my idols. I looked up to her when it came to my start in school chorus and later in the church choir.  She really will be missed!
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I'm sad to announce the passing of famous Batman voice over Kevin Conroy. RIP legend.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/arts/...-dead.html
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I'm sad to announce the passing of famous Batman voice over Kevin Conroy. RIP legend.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/arts/...-dead.html
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
So unfortunate. Cancer is an unkind phenomenon. Sad Can't see who would ever properly voice Batman again.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
So unfortunate. Cancer is an unkind phenomenon. Sad Can't see who would ever properly voice Batman again.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Damn didn't know he had cancer, just completely shocked me he went but understandable if that's what made him go so early. Yep, he really was the best voice for Batman.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Damn didn't know he had cancer, just completely shocked me he went but understandable if that's what made him go so early. Yep, he really was the best voice for Batman.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
This one happened a couple weeks back, but I just found out about it, and it is a rough one, imo. On October 28th, Jerry Lee Lewis passed on at age 87, famed for hits like "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On". Prior to his death, he was the last Pre-Beatles Rock 'n' Roller left alive. While is personal life leaves MUCH to be desired, his legacy on music is very well secured and important to the history of Roll 'n' Roll.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
This one happened a couple weeks back, but I just found out about it, and it is a rough one, imo. On October 28th, Jerry Lee Lewis passed on at age 87, famed for hits like "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On". Prior to his death, he was the last Pre-Beatles Rock 'n' Roller left alive. While is personal life leaves MUCH to be desired, his legacy on music is very well secured and important to the history of Roll 'n' Roll.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ah, the last of a bygone era. Shame. What a wild thing that Million Dollar Quartet was.

Still a disgusting piece of shit for marrying his 13 year old cousin, but you know.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ah, the last of a bygone era. Shame. What a wild thing that Million Dollar Quartet was.

Still a disgusting piece of shit for marrying his 13 year old cousin, but you know.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't watch Power Rangers so I don't know if he was in anything else for me to know him, but I just saw that Jason David Frank has passed away.

I have no idea what he was going through, but whatever it is unfortunately caused him to take his own life by suicide which is really depressing to learn. Sad

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't watch Power Rangers so I don't know if he was in anything else for me to know him, but I just saw that Jason David Frank has passed away.

I have no idea what he was going through, but whatever it is unfortunately caused him to take his own life by suicide which is really depressing to learn. Sad
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I did watch the old Power Rangers with him in it and liked his character, but also didn't stick with the series for long so I wasn't that attached to it or any of the actors involved. However, knowing he took his own life is disheartening so whatever he was going through must've been rough. Still, RIP.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I did watch the old Power Rangers with him in it and liked his character, but also didn't stick with the series for long so I wasn't that attached to it or any of the actors involved. However, knowing he took his own life is disheartening so whatever he was going through must've been rough. Still, RIP.
Daisy Johnson Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
The Sims 4, Sims 3
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 5,276
WipEout Silent Hill Dragon Quest 
He was dealing with a lot. I have been keeping an eye on him through news reports and stuff. He was in the midst of his second divorce and it wasn't good.
[Image: GsFGwd4.gif]
[Image: V1uxtCc.png] 
Daisy Johnson Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
The Sims 4, Sims 3
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 5,276 WipEout Silent Hill Dragon Quest 
He was dealing with a lot. I have been keeping an eye on him through news reports and stuff. He was in the midst of his second divorce and it wasn't good.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 23rd, 2022, 06:48 PM)Daisy Johnson Wrote:
Dang, I wonder what happened in the second divorce that was so bad to be a factor in pushing him to taking his own life. Unless Wikipedia is only giving a simple overview, it doesn't seem like his first one went super terribly for him in comparison but I might be mistaken. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 23rd, 2022, 06:48 PM)Daisy Johnson Wrote:
Dang, I wonder what happened in the second divorce that was so bad to be a factor in pushing him to taking his own life. Unless Wikipedia is only giving a simple overview, it doesn't seem like his first one went super terribly for him in comparison but I might be mistaken. Unsure
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
Ryan Dunn from Jackass was a rough one for me. I was a massive fan of the movies and TV show growing up, and it was a bit heartbreaking when he passed.

Chester Bennington of Linkin Park was another really difficult one. Linkin Park was one of my absolute favorites back in the day. Knowing of his passing, and how he went, RIGHT after listening to the single "Heavy" really makes you think. Sad
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
Ryan Dunn from Jackass was a rough one for me. I was a massive fan of the movies and TV show growing up, and it was a bit heartbreaking when he passed.

Chester Bennington of Linkin Park was another really difficult one. Linkin Park was one of my absolute favorites back in the day. Knowing of his passing, and how he went, RIGHT after listening to the single "Heavy" really makes you think. Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest "Notable" Purchase Moonface 59 7,305 Apr 15th, 2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Moonface