Octopath Traveler
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The sequel is an interesting announcement, especially for me. It gives me another reason to consider picking up a Switch (which is good considering that I'm having such a hard time finding reasons to get one). Although I still need more than two reasons to pick one up, it still is a good step in the right direction.

Now the only question is, do I pick up a Switch and Octopath now, or wait until it's closer to the eventual release of the sequel? :thinking:

I kind of want to stick to my "I'm not paying $300 for a Switch when it should be $250 at most" stance, but at the same time I really want to play Octopath traveler.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The sequel is an interesting announcement, especially for me. It gives me another reason to consider picking up a Switch (which is good considering that I'm having such a hard time finding reasons to get one). Although I still need more than two reasons to pick one up, it still is a good step in the right direction.

Now the only question is, do I pick up a Switch and Octopath now, or wait until it's closer to the eventual release of the sequel? :thinking:

I kind of want to stick to my "I'm not paying $300 for a Switch when it should be $250 at most" stance, but at the same time I really want to play Octopath traveler.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'd say wait and maybe try out the mobile game when it arrives. Of the mobile games I've played by Square Enix, they've never taken the piss with in game purchases and don't detract from the experience with them. Good way to check out the general features of the series without shelling out any cash early.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'd say wait and maybe try out the mobile game when it arrives. Of the mobile games I've played by Square Enix, they've never taken the piss with in game purchases and don't detract from the experience with them. Good way to check out the general features of the series without shelling out any cash early.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Well, the thing that puts me on the fence about the Switch right now is that there are a few digital-only games on the Switch that I'm actually interested in, so if I got a Switch now, I'd have Octopath + those few games. I'm just having a hard time getting myself to go out and spend the money on a Switch when it's little more than a glorified handheld that has the option of playing games on a TV, albeit usually at a sub-par standard compared to the PS4. But at the same time, as I've said, Octopath looks really good and I know I'd love it, so maybe it would be worth the purchase after all. The main problem is the exclusives. Any multi-platform games that come to the Switch and PS4, I'm obviously picking the PS4 version for better performance + Trophies.

I don't think I have to worry about liking Octopath. It's one of those old-school style JRPGs that have that classic look while also looking sleek and modern, and I love that. It's like I Am Setsuna (which is a game I absolutely love). So I know I would absolutely love Octopath.

I talked about it in the Switch topic a bit, but I have been actively researching for games on the Switch that might help push me to go out and get one. I'm even looking for games that my mom would like playing, so that I could justify it by buying it as a system both her and I could use.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Well, the thing that puts me on the fence about the Switch right now is that there are a few digital-only games on the Switch that I'm actually interested in, so if I got a Switch now, I'd have Octopath + those few games. I'm just having a hard time getting myself to go out and spend the money on a Switch when it's little more than a glorified handheld that has the option of playing games on a TV, albeit usually at a sub-par standard compared to the PS4. But at the same time, as I've said, Octopath looks really good and I know I'd love it, so maybe it would be worth the purchase after all. The main problem is the exclusives. Any multi-platform games that come to the Switch and PS4, I'm obviously picking the PS4 version for better performance + Trophies.

I don't think I have to worry about liking Octopath. It's one of those old-school style JRPGs that have that classic look while also looking sleek and modern, and I love that. It's like I Am Setsuna (which is a game I absolutely love). So I know I would absolutely love Octopath.

I talked about it in the Switch topic a bit, but I have been actively researching for games on the Switch that might help push me to go out and get one. I'm even looking for games that my mom would like playing, so that I could justify it by buying it as a system both her and I could use.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ew, mobile game? That's a complete turn-off for me. Having 8 to use in battle looks too easy anyway. 8 chances to break, heal, revive is crazy. Don't understand why Champion of the Continent won't be a digital-only game for the Switch as well. Eh Perhaps at a later date. Then again Fire Emblem Heroes and Super Mario Run aren't so, nah. Kind wish they didn't go this route for a mobile game. Shows the popularity of the game has got to their heads. I suppose many people will get this anyway, so they can enjoy it. EDIT: OK, for the controls and in-app purchases of course. Nevermind, don't want for Switch. XD

A sequel however sounds great. Can't wait to see something for it. Grin

Come to a stop in my Octopath playthrough, boss of Forest of No Return got me. Well, I quit before it could kill my team, but knew my layout wasn't handling it. The Leviathan and Ogre Eagle are the ones that have beaten me so far. This one would have. I'll find out next time if it does again. After I finish Olberic's Chapter 4 as that's the last one I've yet to do.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ew, mobile game? That's a complete turn-off for me. Having 8 to use in battle looks too easy anyway. 8 chances to break, heal, revive is crazy. Don't understand why Champion of the Continent won't be a digital-only game for the Switch as well. Eh Perhaps at a later date. Then again Fire Emblem Heroes and Super Mario Run aren't so, nah. Kind wish they didn't go this route for a mobile game. Shows the popularity of the game has got to their heads. I suppose many people will get this anyway, so they can enjoy it. EDIT: OK, for the controls and in-app purchases of course. Nevermind, don't want for Switch. XD

A sequel however sounds great. Can't wait to see something for it. Grin

Come to a stop in my Octopath playthrough, boss of Forest of No Return got me. Well, I quit before it could kill my team, but knew my layout wasn't handling it. The Leviathan and Ogre Eagle are the ones that have beaten me so far. This one would have. I'll find out next time if it does again. After I finish Olberic's Chapter 4 as that's the last one I've yet to do.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Mar 14th, 2019, 01:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Kind wish they didn't go this route for a mobile game. Shows the popularity of the game has got to their heads. I suppose many people will get this anyway

Mobile gaming is the most popular and profitable form of gaming in Japan, so it's no surprise to see Square Enix take a semi-successful series and run with it on mobile. The biggest issue with it being mobile is whether or not Square Enix will bother to bring it to the west. They are pretty hit or miss on their mobile titles. It was a big enough surprise that they decided to bring Star Ocean Anamnesis over here.

Japanese players are also more than happy to pump a ton of money into mobile games (which is why gacha games are so huge in Japan), so of course SE is going to pump it full of "optional" purchases.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Mar 14th, 2019, 01:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Kind wish they didn't go this route for a mobile game. Shows the popularity of the game has got to their heads. I suppose many people will get this anyway

Mobile gaming is the most popular and profitable form of gaming in Japan, so it's no surprise to see Square Enix take a semi-successful series and run with it on mobile. The biggest issue with it being mobile is whether or not Square Enix will bother to bring it to the west. They are pretty hit or miss on their mobile titles. It was a big enough surprise that they decided to bring Star Ocean Anamnesis over here.

Japanese players are also more than happy to pump a ton of money into mobile games (which is why gacha games are so huge in Japan), so of course SE is going to pump it full of "optional" purchases.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Given how well Octopath did, I'd be shocked to not see the mobile game come West. 8 player fights I can get behind if the opponents are scaled to it, although I would prefer to be picking a team of four.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Given how well Octopath did, I'd be shocked to not see the mobile game come West. 8 player fights I can get behind if the opponents are scaled to it, although I would prefer to be picking a team of four.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah, of course. I forgot how mobile gaming is big in Japan. So yeah, understandable then a successful game gets a mobile one. I suppose I'll hope it goes well so more can be put into Octopath 2. I assume Champion of the Continent will release quite a long time before the sequel anyway.

(Mar 18th, 2019, 12:59 AM)(Last Game Played) Moonface Wrote:
(Mar 4th, 2019, 06:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Travelled to every Chapter 4 location without the designated character just to see what the towns were like beforehand. Like how Wispermill, Everhold and Riverford has that music of something mysterious, dark and/or shady is going on. Especially Wispermill after Scrutinising all the townspeople I could. XD
I know it's redundant now, but you can enter a Chapter 4 area with that respective character and simply opt out of continuing their story at the current time. Wink

Yep, I noticed that when I went to Chapter 2 locations. Ended up deciding for most of the new area I went to after that I'd leave the character out of my party to save time going to the bar. Believe I only did that for Everhold, Wispermill, Orewell and Riverford. With Therion I forgot about the area transitions while going around to Steal. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah, of course. I forgot how mobile gaming is big in Japan. So yeah, understandable then a successful game gets a mobile one. I suppose I'll hope it goes well so more can be put into Octopath 2. I assume Champion of the Continent will release quite a long time before the sequel anyway.

(Mar 18th, 2019, 12:59 AM)(Last Game Played) Moonface Wrote:
(Mar 4th, 2019, 06:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Travelled to every Chapter 4 location without the designated character just to see what the towns were like beforehand. Like how Wispermill, Everhold and Riverford has that music of something mysterious, dark and/or shady is going on. Especially Wispermill after Scrutinising all the townspeople I could. XD
I know it's redundant now, but you can enter a Chapter 4 area with that respective character and simply opt out of continuing their story at the current time. Wink

Yep, I noticed that when I went to Chapter 2 locations. Ended up deciding for most of the new area I went to after that I'd leave the character out of my party to save time going to the bar. Believe I only did that for Everhold, Wispermill, Orewell and Riverford. With Therion I forgot about the area transitions while going around to Steal. XD
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So it's been discovered that Octopath Traveler has received a rating for Steam in Korea. Which signals that there is very likely a Steam port announcement coming soon.

I find this kind of irritating. Not because of anything Square Enix did, but because I just spent $350 to play Octopath Traveler a couple of weeks ago, and then they decide to release the game on Steam. I could have not spent that $300 on a Switch right now, and gotten the game on Steam instead where I'd have the extra fun of Achievements to earn, and then waited to get a Switch for another year or two when there's maybe a few more games I actually want to play on it.

I held out getting a Switch for so long, and then finally broke down because I wanted to play Octopath so badly, and now I get punished for it. FeelsBadMan
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So it's been discovered that Octopath Traveler has received a rating for Steam in Korea. Which signals that there is very likely a Steam port announcement coming soon.

I find this kind of irritating. Not because of anything Square Enix did, but because I just spent $350 to play Octopath Traveler a couple of weeks ago, and then they decide to release the game on Steam. I could have not spent that $300 on a Switch right now, and gotten the game on Steam instead where I'd have the extra fun of Achievements to earn, and then waited to get a Switch for another year or two when there's maybe a few more games I actually want to play on it.

I held out getting a Switch for so long, and then finally broke down because I wanted to play Octopath so badly, and now I get punished for it. FeelsBadMan
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Octopath Traveler Coming to PC in June
In a now deleted blog post, Square Enix announced that Octopath Traveler will be coming to PC this June in all territories:

Square Enix Wrote:
We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.

The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.

What is Octopath Traveler about?

Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:
  • Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
  • Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
  • Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
  • Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
  • Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
  • Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
  • Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
  • H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.

For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.

Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.

Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.

It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.

Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.

How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?

Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!

Considering a rating for the game was given on Steam in Korea, it isn't surprising to see the game will be releasing worldwide on the platform, even if Square Enix didn't want you to know about it just yet. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Octopath Traveler Coming to PC in June
In a now deleted blog post, Square Enix announced that Octopath Traveler will be coming to PC this June in all territories:

Square Enix Wrote:
We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.

The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.

What is Octopath Traveler about?

Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:
  • Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
  • Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
  • Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
  • Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
  • Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
  • Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
  • Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
  • H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.

For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.

Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.

Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.

It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.

Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.

How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?

Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!

Considering a rating for the game was given on Steam in Korea, it isn't surprising to see the game will be releasing worldwide on the platform, even if Square Enix didn't want you to know about it just yet. Tongue
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
It's official: I wasted money on a Switch.

Maybe it's not too late to get a refund on it.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 12th, 2019, 03:13 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Where did you buy it from and how recently?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 12th, 2019, 03:13 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Where did you buy it from and how recently?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I got it at Target like three weeks ago or so. Don't know where my recipe for it is though.

I still do have Dragon Marked for Death, so I guess I have a reason to keep my Switch around. But this definitely takes away the biggest reason for me to actually care about playing my Switch. I may end up dropping the Switch version and just waiting for the Steam port so I can play it with the added bonus of Achievements.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I got it at Target like three weeks ago or so. Don't know where my recipe for it is though.

I still do have Dragon Marked for Death, so I guess I have a reason to keep my Switch around. But this definitely takes away the biggest reason for me to actually care about playing my Switch. I may end up dropping the Switch version and just waiting for the Steam port so I can play it with the added bonus of Achievements.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
It both sucks and a good thing Octopath is coming to PC. Sounds like my kind of luck too, but I think I'd prefer playing on Switch than PC personally anyway. Am interested in what kind of achievements there'll be though.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
It both sucks and a good thing Octopath is coming to PC. Sounds like my kind of luck too, but I think I'd prefer playing on Switch than PC personally anyway. Am interested in what kind of achievements there'll be though.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For anyone who likes collecting art books, The Art of Octopath Traveler is being localized and is currently up for pre-order:

If the book has a lot of written content I might consider getting it. If it's just artwork it'll be a harder sell for me because I find books like that can usually be boring, but also such books tend to have a lot of the concept art viewable in the actual game as extra content so there isn't that much new to even see.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For anyone who likes collecting art books, The Art of Octopath Traveler is being localized and is currently up for pre-order:

If the book has a lot of written content I might consider getting it. If it's just artwork it'll be a harder sell for me because I find books like that can usually be boring, but also such books tend to have a lot of the concept art viewable in the actual game as extra content so there isn't that much new to even see.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Just pre-ordered. Definitely seems worthy if it's over 200+ pages. Sincerely can't imagine all of that being just art.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Just pre-ordered. Definitely seems worthy if it's over 200+ pages. Sincerely can't imagine all of that being just art.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Octopath Traveler II Moonface 21 3,602 Feb 15th, 2023, 08:40 AM
Last Post: queenzelda