Hell's Bells, hm?
Administrators
Currently Playing
AC: NH (NS) | TLOU2 (PS4)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
XP: 4,664
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
For the past week I've been playing Days Gone, and it's the first game in a while that felt like it was dragging on at points and made me wish it was trimmed down a little. I know it's a thing for open world games to give fetch quests and stuff to pad things out a bit, but this game made that stuff feel like very obvious padding and made me wish I could get back to advancing the actual story.

As for a game that feels too short, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty felt that way to me back when I originally played it. When every other R&C game before it had been an 8+ hour affair, a 2 hour entry that was part of the mainline games felt very underwhelming in comparison. It sucked more because it wasn't a bad game, so one moment I'm really enjoying the game and suddenly it's over. Eh
[Image: tumblr_picdhxmZg01r1fejho5_540.gif]
IN THE SUN, SLEEPING LIKE A BUM.
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!

Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
For the past week I've been playing Days Gone, and it's the first game in a while that felt like it was dragging on at points and made me wish it was trimmed down a little. I know it's a thing for open world games to give fetch quests and stuff to pad things out a bit, but this game made that stuff feel like very obvious padding and made me wish I could get back to advancing the actual story.

As for a game that feels too short, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty felt that way to me back when I originally played it. When every other R&C game before it had been an 8+ hour affair, a 2 hour entry that was part of the mainline games felt very underwhelming in comparison. It sucked more because it wasn't a bad game, so one moment I'm really enjoying the game and suddenly it's over. Eh
Kyng Offline
Settled In
XP: 1,142
Persona 
To be honest, when a game feels too long, it's usually my own fault: I like to explore the entire game world, thus spending way longer on the game than I need to Tongue . Skyrim falls into this category: I still haven't finished the main quest (or even come close to doing so), because I keep getting distracted by the side quests Tongue .

As for games that are too short: Portal is my go-to example. However, that's understandable: Valve probably just didn't know what they had at that point, and they were just testing the concept to see if they could flesh it out later.
Kyng Offline
Settled In
XP: 1,142
To be honest, when a game feels too long, it's usually my own fault: I like to explore the entire game world, thus spending way longer on the game than I need to Tongue . Skyrim falls into this category: I still haven't finished the main quest (or even come close to doing so), because I keep getting distracted by the side quests Tongue .

As for games that are too short: Portal is my go-to example. However, that's understandable: Valve probably just didn't know what they had at that point, and they were just testing the concept to see if they could flesh it out later.
Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
(Jun 1st, 2020, 01:20 AM)Kyng Wrote:
I think any first entry for a game series is fine to be shorter since generally you're trying out a concept and don't necessarily want to pour a lot of time and resources into something that's testing the waters. Luigi's Mansion is a game that comes to mind that I think fits into this idea too.

A game I finished yesterday that feels a little short is Jak 3. The length isn't bad, but it feels short in that a lot of story context is just never covered. A character who swears he will not return to Haven City is just inexplicably present for a single mission in said city, and then disappears again back to where he actually lives. Jak collects light and dark eco crystals, but I didn't encounter any dialogue that suggests they are used for the planet defense system. Speaking of said system, one mission has Jak disabling the shield on the enemy ship that's going to attack the planet so that the defense system can target it, but you don't get told that is why you're doing the mission (you get told nothing, you just do it out of the blue). So the game doesn't feel short in the sense of there isn't enough on offer, but rather that it doesn't seem to cover everything it's supposed to cover.
[Image: tumblr_picdhxmZg01r1fejho5_540.gif]
IN THE SUN, SLEEPING LIKE A BUM.
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!

Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
(Jun 1st, 2020, 01:20 AM)Kyng Wrote:
I think any first entry for a game series is fine to be shorter since generally you're trying out a concept and don't necessarily want to pour a lot of time and resources into something that's testing the waters. Luigi's Mansion is a game that comes to mind that I think fits into this idea too.

A game I finished yesterday that feels a little short is Jak 3. The length isn't bad, but it feels short in that a lot of story context is just never covered. A character who swears he will not return to Haven City is just inexplicably present for a single mission in said city, and then disappears again back to where he actually lives. Jak collects light and dark eco crystals, but I didn't encounter any dialogue that suggests they are used for the planet defense system. Speaking of said system, one mission has Jak disabling the shield on the enemy ship that's going to attack the planet so that the defense system can target it, but you don't get told that is why you're doing the mission (you get told nothing, you just do it out of the blue). So the game doesn't feel short in the sense of there isn't enough on offer, but rather that it doesn't seem to cover everything it's supposed to cover.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sounds in Games Moonface 2 265 Jun 29th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  How Do You Feel About Leaks? Moonface 4 292 May 17th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Last Post: popopdc
  Tutorials in Games Moonface 6 478 May 3rd, 2020, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Cancelled Games: Was there any you wanted to try? Nightingale 24 7,196 Mar 27th, 2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Daltonio
  Anticipated Games Moonface 15 3,661 Mar 10th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Yuri