Poll: Would You Pay $70 For PS5/XSX Games?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
42.86%
3 42.86%
Depends
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would You Pay $70 For PS5/XSX Games?
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Xbox fans will be fine. They only need to pay that extra $10 when Microsoft releases their one exclusive every two years. KEKW

I'm fairly certain that Microsoft has already announced a price increase for the Series X early next year.

Nintendo likely won't increase game prices to $70, considering that they're already charging $20 too much more Switch games and they also never put their first party titles on sale for more than like $2.

Anyways, I've said it before and I'll keep saying it -- if the increase from $60 to $70 is too much for someone, they probably should find a different hobby than gaming. If a $10 difference is a make-or-break situation, then obviously you shouldn't be spending $60 on games either.

Also fun fact that I didn't remember from the past: Nintendo 64 games ranged from $40 to almost $90 back in the day. You can obviously tell who the people are who didn't start gaming until the PS3/Xbox 360 era. KEKW
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Xbox fans will be fine. They only need to pay that extra $10 when Microsoft releases their one exclusive every two years. KEKW

I'm fairly certain that Microsoft has already announced a price increase for the Series X early next year.

Nintendo likely won't increase game prices to $70, considering that they're already charging $20 too much more Switch games and they also never put their first party titles on sale for more than like $2.

Anyways, I've said it before and I'll keep saying it -- if the increase from $60 to $70 is too much for someone, they probably should find a different hobby than gaming. If a $10 difference is a make-or-break situation, then obviously you shouldn't be spending $60 on games either.

Also fun fact that I didn't remember from the past: Nintendo 64 games ranged from $40 to almost $90 back in the day. You can obviously tell who the people are who didn't start gaming until the PS3/Xbox 360 era. KEKW
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My stance has slightly changed. If prices are going up fine, I'm not interested in the majority of games coming out, like 99.99999~% of them, so my monies won't be drained so much. I got my PS5 in time before the console increase, and currently wanting like three of four future games, which I'll be fine paying full price for when they release, that or a special edition for them. Tekken 8 will very likely have DLC once again but not waiting for the whole lot to be released to get it all, I'll play T8 base Day 1, then see what the DLC holds.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My stance has slightly changed. If prices are going up fine, I'm not interested in the majority of games coming out, like 99.99999~% of them, so my monies won't be drained so much. I got my PS5 in time before the console increase, and currently wanting like three of four future games, which I'll be fine paying full price for when they release, that or a special edition for them. Tekken 8 will very likely have DLC once again but not waiting for the whole lot to be released to get it all, I'll play T8 base Day 1, then see what the DLC holds.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 6th, 2022, 06:05 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I expect Nintendo would only increase their prices when they do a successor to the Switch, but if they don't increase their prices at that time then I have no clue if or when they'd ever do it. Also, does anyone know if third party games on Switch have gone for $70 at any point? It's hard to check because most of those games have gone down in price since launch.

As for games being more expensive back in the day, I don't think knowledge on that necessarily indicates people started gaming in the PS3/X360 era. I didn't know games cost that much back then despite playing games since the PS1 came out, simply because I wasn't the one buying the games as a kid so I had no exposure to the price. By the time I started buying games myself they were way cheaper.

(Dec 6th, 2022, 07:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
$70 only irks me now knowing that it isn't really worth buying any game at that price unless I absolutely have to play it at launch, such as Ragnarok. I wasn't dying to get my hands on say, Elden Ring, and if I had got it for $70 only to see it now going for like $35 and it hasn't even been out for a year I'd be bothered knowing that I didn't need to pay $70. Now to be fair, that same discount would've happened had the game been $60, but seeing that $70 titles can still go down by like 50% in under a year just gives me less incentive to show interest in most games at $70.

On the bright side, indie games probably won't really go up in price at all which might mean they get even more interest from people who want to play something cheaper while waiting for a $70 title to go on a sale.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

I expect Nintendo would only increase their prices when they do a successor to the Switch, but if they don't increase their prices at that time then I have no clue if or when they'd ever do it. Also, does anyone know if third party games on Switch have gone for $70 at any point? It's hard to check because most of those games have gone down in price since launch.

As for games being more expensive back in the day, I don't think knowledge on that necessarily indicates people started gaming in the PS3/X360 era. I didn't know games cost that much back then despite playing games since the PS1 came out, simply because I wasn't the one buying the games as a kid so I had no exposure to the price. By the time I started buying games myself they were way cheaper.

(Dec 6th, 2022, 07:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
$70 only irks me now knowing that it isn't really worth buying any game at that price unless I absolutely have to play it at launch, such as Ragnarok. I wasn't dying to get my hands on say, Elden Ring, and if I had got it for $70 only to see it now going for like $35 and it hasn't even been out for a year I'd be bothered knowing that I didn't need to pay $70. Now to be fair, that same discount would've happened had the game been $60, but seeing that $70 titles can still go down by like 50% in under a year just gives me less incentive to show interest in most games at $70.

On the bright side, indie games probably won't really go up in price at all which might mean they get even more interest from people who want to play something cheaper while waiting for a $70 title to go on a sale.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh, if I feel I can wait for prices to drop for a game I would too. May consider that for Eiyuden but possibly not, unless I find the release is coming too soon but still want to play other games/do other stuff before I am ready to play. Also yay typo for "three of four" meant to be "or"...although perhaps three of four is correct if I do wait for Eiyuden, even if it's supposedly releasing a year from now. Tekken 8 and Dragon's Dogma 2 will for sure be launch purchases for me.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Oh, if I feel I can wait for prices to drop for a game I would too. May consider that for Eiyuden but possibly not, unless I find the release is coming too soon but still want to play other games/do other stuff before I am ready to play. Also yay typo for "three of four" meant to be "or"...although perhaps three of four is correct if I do wait for Eiyuden, even if it's supposedly releasing a year from now. Tekken 8 and Dragon's Dogma 2 will for sure be launch purchases for me.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I know I'm going to be paying full price for Hogwarts Legacy for the PS5 since it's a birthday gift game I'm buying for my husband who's a huge Harry Potter fan. Ah well, at least FF7 Crisis Core remastered on the PS5 is $50 thank god.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I know I'm going to be paying full price for Hogwarts Legacy for the PS5 since it's a birthday gift game I'm buying for my husband who's a huge Harry Potter fan. Ah well, at least FF7 Crisis Core remastered on the PS5 is $50 thank god.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 17th, 2022, 06:03 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I know I'm going to be paying full price for Hogwarts Legacy for the PS5 since it's a birthday gift game I'm buying for my husband who's a huge Harry Potter fan.
That's fair. Do you think you'll play any of that game or is it not really your cup of tea?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I know I'm going to be paying full price for Hogwarts Legacy for the PS5 since it's a birthday gift game I'm buying for my husband who's a huge Harry Potter fan.
That's fair. Do you think you'll play any of that game or is it not really your cup of tea?
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650
Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
Yeah, probably. I wouldn't look after 10USD if I really wanted the game. Now if a game increase went to 100USD, then that would mean I wouldn't buy as much games as I used to. Not that I buy much games actually, it's only like 2-3 per year.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650 Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
Yeah, probably. I wouldn't look after 10USD if I really wanted the game. Now if a game increase went to 100USD, then that would mean I wouldn't buy as much games as I used to. Not that I buy much games actually, it's only like 2-3 per year.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Dec 17th, 2022, 10:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yes, not only do I have plans to play it but I plan to stream it on twitch as well. But because it's a gift for my husband, he'll be getting it on his birthday which is Feb 25th. (Maybe earlier, we'll see.)

As for the $75 standard edition of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster releasing for consoles, Imma pass since I bought the pixel remaster already on pc.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Dec 17th, 2022, 10:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yes, not only do I have plans to play it but I plan to stream it on twitch as well. But because it's a gift for my husband, he'll be getting it on his birthday which is Feb 25th. (Maybe earlier, we'll see.)

As for the $75 standard edition of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster releasing for consoles, Imma pass since I bought the pixel remaster already on pc.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 19th, 2022, 05:35 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
While I understand this collection is multiple games, apparently SE has a habit of re-releasing games with a price higher than that of standard titles. They did this with the re-release of Chrono Trigger on DS back in the day:

The FFPR is at least 6 games so maybe $75 isn't that bad, although I think it should've been $60 ($10 a game) or if SE wanted to charge more then it should've been $70 to be in-line with all the other games on the market. I especially think Chrono DS should have absolutely not been priced higher than other games in the market and I'm not sure I would ever want to pay for any game that tries to price itself higher than the standard price everything else in the market is using. Like now that $70 is the standard, I see no reason any game should be trying to charge more than that even if it is only $5. It just says to me the publisher is charging slightly more because they know they can, rather than the product actually needing to be priced higher due to increased costs of game development (and there's no way the FFPR would've cost SE anywhere close to as much money as any modern new games cost that charge $70).

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 19th, 2022, 05:35 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
While I understand this collection is multiple games, apparently SE has a habit of re-releasing games with a price higher than that of standard titles. They did this with the re-release of Chrono Trigger on DS back in the day:

The FFPR is at least 6 games so maybe $75 isn't that bad, although I think it should've been $60 ($10 a game) or if SE wanted to charge more then it should've been $70 to be in-line with all the other games on the market. I especially think Chrono DS should have absolutely not been priced higher than other games in the market and I'm not sure I would ever want to pay for any game that tries to price itself higher than the standard price everything else in the market is using. Like now that $70 is the standard, I see no reason any game should be trying to charge more than that even if it is only $5. It just says to me the publisher is charging slightly more because they know they can, rather than the product actually needing to be priced higher due to increased costs of game development (and there's no way the FFPR would've cost SE anywhere close to as much money as any modern new games cost that charge $70).
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
$75 doesn't seem that bad for the physical version of the Pixel Remasters until you realize that Square Enix is charging $25 for the shipping, plus tax, putting the price of the standard physical copy at over $100. Then there's a Collector's Edition you can get for the low, low price of $260 + shipping + tax.

Then throw that all on top of the fact that they did a stealth opening for pre-orders of the physical edition in the middle of the night, in extremely limited quantities and exclusively on their online store -- which sold out in just a few hours -- and the whole situation with the physical editions of the PR has been an absolute joke and Square Enix should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They are a large enough company that there is absolutely no reason they couldn't do a typical retail release for the physical versions of the Pixel Remasters.

I was at work when the pre-orders went up and by the time I got home the standard physical for PS4 was already sold out. As much as I would have hated to do it, I would have paid the around $110 for a physical PS4 copy. Instead I now have to wait in hopes of a restock or miss out on it entirely, because I'm sure any copies on eBay are going to be priced for several hundreds of dollars.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
$75 doesn't seem that bad for the physical version of the Pixel Remasters until you realize that Square Enix is charging $25 for the shipping, plus tax, putting the price of the standard physical copy at over $100. Then there's a Collector's Edition you can get for the low, low price of $260 + shipping + tax.

Then throw that all on top of the fact that they did a stealth opening for pre-orders of the physical edition in the middle of the night, in extremely limited quantities and exclusively on their online store -- which sold out in just a few hours -- and the whole situation with the physical editions of the PR has been an absolute joke and Square Enix should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They are a large enough company that there is absolutely no reason they couldn't do a typical retail release for the physical versions of the Pixel Remasters.

I was at work when the pre-orders went up and by the time I got home the standard physical for PS4 was already sold out. As much as I would have hated to do it, I would have paid the around $110 for a physical PS4 copy. Instead I now have to wait in hopes of a restock or miss out on it entirely, because I'm sure any copies on eBay are going to be priced for several hundreds of dollars.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 20th, 2022, 10:32 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I don't get why the shipping on that particular item is so high. I randomly went checking some items on their store to see what the shipping was on them and I haven't yet found something wanting more than $6 for standard shipping. Unsure

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 20th, 2022, 10:32 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I don't get why the shipping on that particular item is so high. I randomly went checking some items on their store to see what the shipping was on them and I haven't yet found something wanting more than $6 for standard shipping. Unsure
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm thinking the shipping is so high because its coming from Japan is my thought. Even still, Imma pass on the waiting list for a physical release for the console of my choice. I'll either wait for a restock or miss out. I'm happy with my pc versions.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm thinking the shipping is so high because its coming from Japan is my thought. Even still, Imma pass on the waiting list for a physical release for the console of my choice. I'll either wait for a restock or miss out. I'm happy with my pc versions.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 27th, 2022, 08:42 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Hmm, good point especially since that particular item is likely only available through SE and as such they wouldn't bother to get it produced in the US but just all done in one place which is likely Japan. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be knowing where the item is shipped from based on the label, but I have no idea how that could be found out without anyone here having ordered the item to get the label information or someone else elsewhere just happening to share that information.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 27th, 2022, 08:42 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Hmm, good point especially since that particular item is likely only available through SE and as such they wouldn't bother to get it produced in the US but just all done in one place which is likely Japan. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be knowing where the item is shipped from based on the label, but I have no idea how that could be found out without anyone here having ordered the item to get the label information or someone else elsewhere just happening to share that information.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 9th, 2022, 01:24 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Well, so much for us thinking this wasn't happening any time soon:

I guess there could be a chance this changes by the time tomorrow's Direct is finished but I won't hold my breath.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 9th, 2022, 01:24 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Well, so much for us thinking this wasn't happening any time soon:

I guess there could be a chance this changes by the time tomorrow's Direct is finished but I won't hold my breath.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
They've already deleted the price from the shop apparently

Seems physically the game is still $59.99, at least. Still, quite a strange call to make. I'm wondering if it'll be addressed tomorrow Hmm

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
They've already deleted the price from the shop apparently

Seems physically the game is still $59.99, at least. Still, quite a strange call to make. I'm wondering if it'll be addressed tomorrow Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xbox to Bring Games to Other Systems Moonface 9 332 Feb 23rd, 2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  What Notable Games Will Be Lost With the 3DS/Wii U eShop Closure? Moonface 7 1,186 Jan 18th, 2024, 04:26 PM
  Storing Your Games? Moonface 8 706 Nov 18th, 2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kyng
  Will Games Go Above $70 Eventually? Moonface 5 1,084 May 6th, 2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  What If All PS4 Games Were Also On PC? Moonface 37 26,938 Jul 1st, 2021, 04:38 PM