General Game Chat
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It also occurred to me that this game came out the year I graduated high school, which was 10 years ago. When they announced it, my immediate thought was "has it been that long to warrant such an update?" then... yeah. Shock

I'm more shocked that Nintendo hasn't ported over their Twilight Princess and Wind Waker remasters from Wii U onto Switch yet. They were quick to put over DKC Tropical Freeze, but for some reason are hesitant on the Zelda titles. People were convinced they were gonna release a three-some pack, with the Skyward Sword being the latest addition to the pack that would make it "new", and then they just... didn't.  Eh
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It also occurred to me that this game came out the year I graduated high school, which was 10 years ago. When they announced it, my immediate thought was "has it been that long to warrant such an update?" then... yeah. Shock

I'm more shocked that Nintendo hasn't ported over their Twilight Princess and Wind Waker remasters from Wii U onto Switch yet. They were quick to put over DKC Tropical Freeze, but for some reason are hesitant on the Zelda titles. People were convinced they were gonna release a three-some pack, with the Skyward Sword being the latest addition to the pack that would make it "new", and then they just... didn't.  Eh
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Nintendo should really bring over anything left on Wii U that doesn't deserve to be kept stuck on it, like WWHD and TPHD. The only changes they'll need to make are some of the controls because visually the games are already updated, so it's even easier money than SS.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Nintendo should really bring over anything left on Wii U that doesn't deserve to be kept stuck on it, like WWHD and TPHD. The only changes they'll need to make are some of the controls because visually the games are already updated, so it's even easier money than SS.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Jul 17th, 2021, 01:02 AM)Moonface Wrote:
True. I guess my point should've really been more that last gen promoted pumping out remasters mostly through necessity, and knowing how much money it made those publishers they are just going to keep doing it. Ghost does at least let you buy the DC stuff without a new copy though; I think it's like $20 or something.

yeah but on platforms where it isn't a necessity, like PC or Xbox, they commented to do it. bringing older games to newer generations in a half ass way is just irritating. 

(Jul 17th, 2021, 02:22 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

yeah well nintendo does whatever they want with their IPs. BotW is years old now. what's the retail price? still $59.99. as much as I love them and I know they're family friendly and shit, they definitely are some of the greediest around. Honestly, if SS doesn't tie into BotW2 with them floating islands, I'd be fucking shocked

(Jul 17th, 2021, 02:26 AM)Moonface Wrote:

yeah I really don't get that. I'd get WWHD for sure. I never had a Wii U. Plus it would actually run way better on switch anyway. Kinda want to boot up Cemu and play it soon
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Jul 17th, 2021, 01:02 AM)Moonface Wrote:
True. I guess my point should've really been more that last gen promoted pumping out remasters mostly through necessity, and knowing how much money it made those publishers they are just going to keep doing it. Ghost does at least let you buy the DC stuff without a new copy though; I think it's like $20 or something.

yeah but on platforms where it isn't a necessity, like PC or Xbox, they commented to do it. bringing older games to newer generations in a half ass way is just irritating. 

(Jul 17th, 2021, 02:22 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

yeah well nintendo does whatever they want with their IPs. BotW is years old now. what's the retail price? still $59.99. as much as I love them and I know they're family friendly and shit, they definitely are some of the greediest around. Honestly, if SS doesn't tie into BotW2 with them floating islands, I'd be fucking shocked

(Jul 17th, 2021, 02:26 AM)Moonface Wrote:

yeah I really don't get that. I'd get WWHD for sure. I never had a Wii U. Plus it would actually run way better on switch anyway. Kinda want to boot up Cemu and play it soon
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,798
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 16th, 2021, 03:34 PM)Monocle Wrote:
yeah, I've known Gary for over a decade. we literally go from him shitting on my opinion to talking about stuff we both like without skipping a beat. it never bothered me then and it definitely doesn't bother me now. negative opinions about my likes or myself actually haven't ever bothered me. I'm way too positive and have way too much self esteem to give a shit. everyone's entitled to their opinion and they're entitled to express it just like in entitled to dismiss it and give zero fucks about it.

honestly, I still have my Wii so I have no desire to buy the HD version. Kinda sick of getting these remasters already. not just Zelda, I mean in general. Like I love Ghost of Tsushima but it didn't need an entirely new release for the directors cut. Just send it a damn dlc with all of it. too many publishers are so willing to do this now.

You don't need to lie. You can tell them that you crave abuse~ Especially when I step on you and call you an insignificant worm. It doesn't need to be kept a secret.

Nintendo not porting WW HD to the Switch yet is a crime against gamers and Nintendo should feel bad. Especially when they pick to port a shitty LoZ game like Skyward Sword instead.

But it is Nintendo so you can't really expect them to make good decisions most of the time. Maybe once they make three or four more stupid decisions, they'll do something smart. We're up to two horrible decisions (Skyward Sword port and OLED model having no actual improvements), so we're half-way to a good decision!
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,798 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 16th, 2021, 03:34 PM)Monocle Wrote:
yeah, I've known Gary for over a decade. we literally go from him shitting on my opinion to talking about stuff we both like without skipping a beat. it never bothered me then and it definitely doesn't bother me now. negative opinions about my likes or myself actually haven't ever bothered me. I'm way too positive and have way too much self esteem to give a shit. everyone's entitled to their opinion and they're entitled to express it just like in entitled to dismiss it and give zero fucks about it.

honestly, I still have my Wii so I have no desire to buy the HD version. Kinda sick of getting these remasters already. not just Zelda, I mean in general. Like I love Ghost of Tsushima but it didn't need an entirely new release for the directors cut. Just send it a damn dlc with all of it. too many publishers are so willing to do this now.

You don't need to lie. You can tell them that you crave abuse~ Especially when I step on you and call you an insignificant worm. It doesn't need to be kept a secret.

Nintendo not porting WW HD to the Switch yet is a crime against gamers and Nintendo should feel bad. Especially when they pick to port a shitty LoZ game like Skyward Sword instead.

But it is Nintendo so you can't really expect them to make good decisions most of the time. Maybe once they make three or four more stupid decisions, they'll do something smart. We're up to two horrible decisions (Skyward Sword port and OLED model having no actual improvements), so we're half-way to a good decision!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just found out that a game I play is closing down in three months and after that you can't play anymore. Shame because I liked the game and now don't know if I can care to keep playing until the end date. Eh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just found out that a game I play is closing down in three months and after that you can't play anymore. Shame because I liked the game and now don't know if I can care to keep playing until the end date. Eh
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
What game is that Moony?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
What game is that Moony?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2021, 04:15 PM)Karo Wrote:
What game is that Moony?
Dr. Mario World. I get that it's because the player count has never been very high for the game and therefore the gacha stuff probably doesn't make much money as a result, but it's so stupid that the single player content is also going to be killed off because it's a cloud based game. I'd rather Nintendo just disable online components and let everyone play the game offline. Eh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2021, 04:15 PM)Karo Wrote:
What game is that Moony?
Dr. Mario World. I get that it's because the player count has never been very high for the game and therefore the gacha stuff probably doesn't make much money as a result, but it's so stupid that the single player content is also going to be killed off because it's a cloud based game. I'd rather Nintendo just disable online components and let everyone play the game offline. Eh
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Maaaan. I've been on a huge retro kick lately. Some of it is because fan translations that I couldn't play before I got the pc, like Tales of Destiny DC, and others are because emulation lets you improve the resolution of games by such a huge amount. It's actually really impressive.

Here's a comparison:

yeah it's still a ps2 game but it looks way better than playing it at native on a 4k display
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Maaaan. I've been on a huge retro kick lately. Some of it is because fan translations that I couldn't play before I got the pc, like Tales of Destiny DC, and others are because emulation lets you improve the resolution of games by such a huge amount. It's actually really impressive.

Here's a comparison:

yeah it's still a ps2 game but it looks way better than playing it at native on a 4k display
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
It's just a shame that PS2 is meant to display at 4:3, not 16:9, so you've stretched the width of all the sprites. Legit, though, aside from a lack of blur, I literally notice no difference. Am I missing something, or...

Also, DDS is awesome; great choice of game.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
It's just a shame that PS2 is meant to display at 4:3, not 16:9, so you've stretched the width of all the sprites. Legit, though, aside from a lack of blur, I literally notice no difference. Am I missing something, or...

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 4th, 2021, 05:36 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

if you click the actual images, it's more noticeable. I mean I'm on my phone so everything gets shrunk lol. It's just the blurriness and shit from native is completely gone with the increased resolution.

I'll find a better example when I'm on the computer again.

and yeah I don't know how to turn off the wide-screen stretching. I don't have the wide-screen patches options on sooooo no idea why it's doing that
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 4th, 2021, 05:36 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

if you click the actual images, it's more noticeable. I mean I'm on my phone so everything gets shrunk lol. It's just the blurriness and shit from native is completely gone with the increased resolution.

I'll find a better example when I'm on the computer again.

and yeah I don't know how to turn off the wide-screen stretching. I don't have the wide-screen patches options on sooooo no idea why it's doing that
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
You can just, you know, keep it windowed in an approximate 4:3 window. I'd need to pull out my PCSX2 again, but I'm sure there's a setting to keep native resolution buried in the options.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
You can just, you know, keep it windowed in an approximate 4:3 window. I'd need to pull out my PCSX2 again, but I'm sure there's a setting to keep native resolution buried in the options.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
let's try this again with the image from DDS lmao at 4:3! yaaaaay

EDIT: aside from blur, the AA smooths things so that it just looks better all around. It's not like it has new models or new textures. That would be a mod, like the Ocarina of Time 3D HD mod that i've been playing. now THAT is impressive.

and yeah i fucking love DDS and SMT in general. I personally think the gameplay is better than Nocturne, except for actually fighting Hitoshura or Demi-fiend. whatever he's actually called
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
let's try this again with the image from DDS lmao at 4:3! yaaaaay

EDIT: aside from blur, the AA smooths things so that it just looks better all around. It's not like it has new models or new textures. That would be a mod, like the Ocarina of Time 3D HD mod that i've been playing. now THAT is impressive.

and yeah i fucking love DDS and SMT in general. I personally think the gameplay is better than Nocturne, except for actually fighting Hitoshura or Demi-fiend. whatever he's actually called
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So is there anything actually being changed in the game for those higher resolutions, or is it just able to look that good by the way the emulator renders the visuals/enhances them? I just noticed you mention there's not new models/textures but with how good it looks, I can't believe that it's the same game with just visual settings improving it. Blink

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So is there anything actually being changed in the game for those higher resolutions, or is it just able to look that good by the way the emulator renders the visuals/enhances them? I just noticed you mention there's not new models/textures but with how good it looks, I can't believe that it's the same game with just visual settings improving it. Blink
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, that's just the emulator tools. See, on an actual PS2, it's strength is polygon generation, but put it through any anti-aliasing or texture filtering, and it just freaks the hell out, which means jagged edges are very common. But emulators don't give a crap about what the hardware can handle, which means it can just throw whatever it wants at the generated image as long as the program can take it. So, you can get some pretty solid images this way, but they ain't what the original hardware can do.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, that's just the emulator tools. See, on an actual PS2, it's strength is polygon generation, but put it through any anti-aliasing or texture filtering, and it just freaks the hell out, which means jagged edges are very common. But emulators don't give a crap about what the hardware can handle, which means it can just throw whatever it wants at the generated image as long as the program can take it. So, you can get some pretty solid images this way, but they ain't what the original hardware can do.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Would that be why playing a PS2 game on PS4 looks really good? I remember playing Ape Escape 2 and the image quality was really good, but I don't think anything was actually changed in the game for the PS4 version and the website for it says it just uses 1080p up-scaling, which I assume is similar to what the emulators do for PS2 games?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Would that be why playing a PS2 game on PS4 looks really good? I remember playing Ape Escape 2 and the image quality was really good, but I don't think anything was actually changed in the game for the PS4 version and the website for it says it just uses 1080p up-scaling, which I assume is similar to what the emulators do for PS2 games?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 779 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,916 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface