Favorite RPG Encounter Styles?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,450
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm currently watching someone playing the TTYD Remake and man, I forgot how cool the theming is for battle encounters in this game. Having fights on a stage representing the current area is neat in and of itself, but the crowd mechanic really elevates it and it's a sin Nintendo didn't keep that in subsequent Paper Mario games.

Grievances with Nintendo aside, I honestly think the encounter presentation/style in TTYD is one of if not the best in any game; however, I also have very little experience with RPG's so for all I know I could be massively wrong on this. So what are your favorite encounter styles/presentations in games that have them?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,450 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm currently watching someone playing the TTYD Remake and man, I forgot how cool the theming is for battle encounters in this game. Having fights on a stage representing the current area is neat in and of itself, but the crowd mechanic really elevates it and it's a sin Nintendo didn't keep that in subsequent Paper Mario games.

Grievances with Nintendo aside, I honestly think the encounter presentation/style in TTYD is one of if not the best in any game; however, I also have very little experience with RPG's so for all I know I could be massively wrong on this. So what are your favorite encounter styles/presentations in games that have them?
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,001
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
One of my favorites is the Bonus Boss fight in Digital Devil Saga. Spoilers spoilers spoilers.

Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,001 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
One of my favorites is the Bonus Boss fight in Digital Devil Saga. Spoilers spoilers spoilers.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: I'm not super familiar with SMT stuff but a quick search leads me to believe that you're fighting the protagonists of SMT Nocturne in DDS? If so that's pretty neat, and would be more so if somehow the game could read your data for Nocturne if you have any and make the party take on their stats. Although it might make the fight impossible if you had them at a high level. ROFL

I did want to look at all the different visual styles for Pokémon battles in all the games but it seems nowhere has that info actually put together to look at it. I only know of a small amount and although I could pick my favourite from just those I was curious how the others were. Sad

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: I'm not super familiar with SMT stuff but a quick search leads me to believe that you're fighting the protagonists of SMT Nocturne in DDS? If so that's pretty neat, and would be more so if somehow the game could read your data for Nocturne if you have any and make the party take on their stats. Although it might make the fight impossible if you had them at a high level. ROFL

I did want to look at all the different visual styles for Pokémon battles in all the games but it seems nowhere has that info actually put together to look at it. I only know of a small amount and although I could pick my favourite from just those I was curious how the others were. Sad
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jun 4th, 2024, 12:37 AM)Moonface Wrote:
You are correct about the character, yes. Also, given the mechanics of the fight, having him read your save data might actually make the boss EASIER, not harder! He really is that brutal, and it doesn't help that you have to play by his rules. Yes, he has rules for the fight, and if you break them, he just insta-kills you. I'll explain this in another topic so I don't fill a post here with unnecessary info that is completely off-topic.

Speaking on topic, because it wouldn't be me if I didn't mention it, Legend of Dragoon has a very cinematic style of area decoration in a battle, often using them as more than just window dressing, especially in boss fights. Probably the earliest time this really becomes a thing is during the fight with Kongol about halfway into disc 1. One of his attacks sends your party barreling into a wall at absurd speeds, and you actually impact that wall when it happens! It's not much, sure, but it's the little things, you know?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
You are correct about the character, yes. Also, given the mechanics of the fight, having him read your save data might actually make the boss EASIER, not harder! He really is that brutal, and it doesn't help that you have to play by his rules. Yes, he has rules for the fight, and if you break them, he just insta-kills you. I'll explain this in another topic so I don't fill a post here with unnecessary info that is completely off-topic.

Speaking on topic, because it wouldn't be me if I didn't mention it, Legend of Dragoon has a very cinematic style of area decoration in a battle, often using them as more than just window dressing, especially in boss fights. Probably the earliest time this really becomes a thing is during the fight with Kongol about halfway into disc 1. One of his attacks sends your party barreling into a wall at absurd speeds, and you actually impact that wall when it happens! It's not much, sure, but it's the little things, you know?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 9th, 2024, 03:55 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Since I didn't see a post anywhere on this I'm gonna guess you didn't get to it yet or forgot? Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 9th, 2024, 03:55 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Since I didn't see a post anywhere on this I'm gonna guess you didn't get to it yet or forgot? Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I had the post ready, and then accidentally deleted it because I was on my phone, which has no undo. I'll do it when I don't have work at 7 AM.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I had the post ready, and then accidentally deleted it because I was on my phone, which has no undo. I'll do it when I don't have work at 7 AM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You Have a (Least) Favorite Pokémon Type? Moonface 3 1,157 May 31st, 2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Which Villainous Team is Your Favorite in Pokemon? Moonface 9 2,737 Nov 9th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Favorite Pokémon (By Generation) Mr EliteL 16 15,836 Jul 2nd, 2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord