Notable/Celebrity Deaths | James Earl Jones (93)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,707
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sid Eudy (63), Professional Wrestler Known as Sid Vicious/Sycho Sid, Has Passed Away 
The news was just confirmed by Eudy's son via a social media post:

Gunnar Eudy Wrote:
In Memory of My Father, Sid Eudy

Dear friends and family,

I am deeply saddened to share that my father, Sid Eudy, has passed away after battling cancer for several years. He was a man of strength, kindness, and love, and his presence will be greatly missed.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we grieve this loss. Details for a memorial service will be shared soon.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely, Gunnar Eudy

I never watched the guy as I got into wrestling after his time but I know he was one of the big stars/names of his era. I don't know how much this gif gets used outside of wrestling circles but if you've seen this then this is him: 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fhsnrtvlqofp9j3w4l...y.gif&ct=g]
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,707 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sid Eudy (63), Professional Wrestler Known as Sid Vicious/Sycho Sid, Has Passed Away 
The news was just confirmed by Eudy's son via a social media post:

Gunnar Eudy Wrote:
In Memory of My Father, Sid Eudy

Dear friends and family,

I am deeply saddened to share that my father, Sid Eudy, has passed away after battling cancer for several years. He was a man of strength, kindness, and love, and his presence will be greatly missed.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we grieve this loss. Details for a memorial service will be shared soon.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely, Gunnar Eudy

I never watched the guy as I got into wrestling after his time but I know he was one of the big stars/names of his era. I don't know how much this gif gets used outside of wrestling circles but if you've seen this then this is him: 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fhsnrtvlqofp9j3w4l...y.gif&ct=g]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,168
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Me, at that news break: ...wait, huh? Ain't he been dead for decades???

Never knew a wrestler also coined that stage name, honestly wild that he could considering how popular the Sex Pistols were. Regardless, cancer taking another victim is still a tragic event. Let him rest peacefully after his long battle o7
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,168 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Me, at that news break: ...wait, huh? Ain't he been dead for decades???

Never knew a wrestler also coined that stage name, honestly wild that he could considering how popular the Sex Pistols were. Regardless, cancer taking another victim is still a tragic event. Let him rest peacefully after his long battle o7
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 27th, 2024, 03:38 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
He adopted the name outside of any big televised promotions, so I can maybe get how he'd slip under the radar with that name during that time but I'm surprised he was able to keep using the name when he signed with WCW which was one of the two big televised wrestling promotions at the time (the other being WWF/WWE). That said I think the name maybe did cause problems or there are concerns it will because WWE only refers to him on their website as "Sid" with nothing else attached and even removed any reference to Vicious from his alumni page.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 27th, 2024, 03:38 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
He adopted the name outside of any big televised promotions, so I can maybe get how he'd slip under the radar with that name during that time but I'm surprised he was able to keep using the name when he signed with WCW which was one of the two big televised wrestling promotions at the time (the other being WWF/WWE). That said I think the name maybe did cause problems or there are concerns it will because WWE only refers to him on their website as "Sid" with nothing else attached and even removed any reference to Vicious from his alumni page.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,294
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
*overly long deep breath*

So of one the annoying things wrestling promotions are known to do is, if a wrestler wrestles under a specific moniker that was coined when start wrestling under them, they will claim to own the copyright on that moniker, meaning the wrestler loses the right to use the moniker outside of that promotion Sid originally wrestled under the WWE as Sid Justice, so that was out when he transfered to WCW. But, because he had already wrestled in WCW before it was bought up by Ted Turner, he had a moniker he could still use in Sid Vicious. Why he took the moniker? I have no idea. Probably liked the sound of it, and I think he was historically a Heel, so that might be why.

...What? I can know stuff.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,294 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 

So of one the annoying things wrestling promotions are known to do is, if a wrestler wrestles under a specific moniker that was coined when start wrestling under them, they will claim to own the copyright on that moniker, meaning the wrestler loses the right to use the moniker outside of that promotion Sid originally wrestled under the WWE as Sid Justice, so that was out when he transfered to WCW. But, because he had already wrestled in WCW before it was bought up by Ted Turner, he had a moniker he could still use in Sid Vicious. Why he took the moniker? I have no idea. Probably liked the sound of it, and I think he was historically a Heel, so that might be why.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 29th, 2024, 11:33 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Yeah he was always a heel I think, and given he wore a leather jacket probably just felt he had a look that fit using Sid Vicious as a name. I'm wondering why WWE aren't using the term now though because they own WCW and would own the name, yet don't use it nor make any reference to it. An older version of Sid's alumni page does reference it though, so it got removed at some point and I wonder if it was to avoid an issue or because an issue got made from it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 29th, 2024, 11:33 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Yeah he was always a heel I think, and given he wore a leather jacket probably just felt he had a look that fit using Sid Vicious as a name. I'm wondering why WWE aren't using the term now though because they own WCW and would own the name, yet don't use it nor make any reference to it. An older version of Sid's alumni page does reference it though, so it got removed at some point and I wonder if it was to avoid an issue or because an issue got made from it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I think it's because WWE are trying to be more kid-friendly at this point in their life, and having a wrestler literally named "Sid Vicious" or "Sycho Sid" is probably not a good look. It's be like, I don't know, having one of your big wrestlers being named something like "Abdullah the Butcher"; it's not a good look.

...Wait, what do you mean that's actually one of their Hall of Fame inductees?!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I think it's because WWE are trying to be more kid-friendly at this point in their life, and having a wrestler literally named "Sid Vicious" or "Sycho Sid" is probably not a good look. It's be like, I don't know, having one of your big wrestlers being named something like "Abdullah the Butcher"; it's not a good look.

...Wait, what do you mean that's actually one of their Hall of Fame inductees?!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,833
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I just missed Sid when he was in WWF so all I knew about him were general mentions, clips, his Wrestlemania match against Undertaker and that he was a well known wrestler. Geez though, 63. RIP
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,833 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I just missed Sid when he was in WWF so all I knew about him were general mentions, clips, his Wrestlemania match against Undertaker and that he was a well known wrestler. Geez though, 63. RIP
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Fatman Scoop (53) Passes Away After Collapsing On-Stage
U.S. rapper Fatman Scoop has passed away at the age of 53 after collapsing on stage halfway through his concert set on Friday: BBC

His most famous hit was Be Faithful, which was originally released in 1999 but garnered international success in 2003, topping the charts in Ireland and the UK.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Fatman Scoop (53) Passes Away After Collapsing On-Stage
U.S. rapper Fatman Scoop has passed away at the age of 53 after collapsing on stage halfway through his concert set on Friday: BBC

His most famous hit was Be Faithful, which was originally released in 1999 but garnered international success in 2003, topping the charts in Ireland and the UK.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I'll be honest, I didn't recognize who this was until the article mentioned Missy Elliott. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, he's the hype man in Missy Elliott's hit "Lose Control" (not to be confused with "Music Makes You Lose Control" by Les Rythmes Digitales, which uses the exact same vocal sample).

It's a shame that this happened the way it did. Just dropping in the middle of a show? Hell of a way to go out. I wonder what happened that caused him to drop in the first place.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I'll be honest, I didn't recognize who this was until the article mentioned Missy Elliott. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, he's the hype man in Missy Elliott's hit "Lose Control" (not to be confused with "Music Makes You Lose Control" by Les Rythmes Digitales, which uses the exact same vocal sample).

It's a shame that this happened the way it did. Just dropping in the middle of a show? Hell of a way to go out. I wonder what happened that caused him to drop in the first place.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I won't be surprised if it was something heart related given the first part of his rap name is pretty literal. The only other thing I can see suddenly killing someone would be an aneurysm.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I won't be surprised if it was something heart related given the first part of his rap name is pretty literal. The only other thing I can see suddenly killing someone would be an aneurysm.
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,168
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Aug 31st, 2024, 11:44 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

One could argue that he died doing what he loved Shrug Though I guess that's assuming he was performing out of love and not for necessity's sake.

Still, yeah I also know him from that sample; hearing the "Be Faithful" made me think I had heard the original before but no, I was just hearing that sample in Missy Elliot's song (who I didn't realize was actually cited as a guest in the song's featured artists)
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,168 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Aug 31st, 2024, 11:44 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

One could argue that he died doing what he loved Shrug Though I guess that's assuming he was performing out of love and not for necessity's sake.

Still, yeah I also know him from that sample; hearing the "Be Faithful" made me think I had heard the original before but no, I was just hearing that sample in Missy Elliot's song (who I didn't realize was actually cited as a guest in the song's featured artists)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 30th, 2024, 10:50 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
That's a fair point, and I realized that WWE always do a video package for when a notable wrestler who worked for them passes away so I decided to check their Sid Eudy video to see what names they refer to him as and how much. They don't attempt to avoid the Vicious or Sycho name in it and when they want to avoid using a particular name they will go to great lengths to pull it off (see: Vince McMahon or Chris Benoit) so I guess it just depends when they're choosing to use his ring names or not. Shrug

Also for anyone who has maybe seen it, Eudy has one of the most infamous clips of a wrestling injury where he straight up snaps his leg like a twig by jumping off the top rope. I always forget that it's him in the clip because I focus more on the noodle leg than the person it's attached to.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 30th, 2024, 10:50 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
That's a fair point, and I realized that WWE always do a video package for when a notable wrestler who worked for them passes away so I decided to check their Sid Eudy video to see what names they refer to him as and how much. They don't attempt to avoid the Vicious or Sycho name in it and when they want to avoid using a particular name they will go to great lengths to pull it off (see: Vince McMahon or Chris Benoit) so I guess it just depends when they're choosing to use his ring names or not. Shrug

Also for anyone who has maybe seen it, Eudy has one of the most infamous clips of a wrestling injury where he straight up snaps his leg like a twig by jumping off the top rope. I always forget that it's him in the clip because I focus more on the noodle leg than the person it's attached to.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, I actually know the exact clip you're talking about, and it's horrible. IIRC, he was going for a move called the "Big Boot", where you jump from the rope and stomp on your opponent. He landed it wrong, and, uh, yeah...it's not pretty.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, I actually know the exact clip you're talking about, and it's horrible. IIRC, he was going for a move called the "Big Boot", where you jump from the rope and stomp on your opponent. He landed it wrong, and, uh, yeah...it's not pretty.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 1st, 2024, 09:59 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
You're partly correct. Sid never performed moves from the top rope due to his size, but was being pressured by WCW to expand his moveset so he decided to try doing the big boot from the top rope. Unfortunately he was correct in his initial thoughts of it being a bad idea but got that confirmation through breaking his tibia and fibula upon landing. Yikes

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 1st, 2024, 09:59 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
You're partly correct. Sid never performed moves from the top rope due to his size, but was being pressured by WCW to expand his moveset so he decided to try doing the big boot from the top rope. Unfortunately he was correct in his initial thoughts of it being a bad idea but got that confirmation through breaking his tibia and fibula upon landing. Yikes
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Today, I can report that James Earl Jones has passed away at the age of 93. While he is a long distinguished actor, he's probably most famous as the voice of Darth Vader.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Today, I can report that James Earl Jones has passed away at the age of 93. While he is a long distinguished actor, he's probably most famous as the voice of Darth Vader.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest "Notable" Purchase Moonface 72 12,304 Sep 7th, 2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Moonface