Resident Evil 4 (Remake)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Oh no I did save the dog, but a lot of times the dog would happen to attract attention in the same direction as I was standing in so I'd still get hit with stuff. Rolleyes

I'm currently on the cabin fight and I've died four times now? Every time I get to the prick with the hammer is when everything goes to total shit.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Oh no I did save the dog, but a lot of times the dog would happen to attract attention in the same direction as I was standing in so I'd still get hit with stuff. Rolleyes

I'm currently on the cabin fight and I've died four times now? Every time I get to the prick with the hammer is when everything goes to total shit.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, the worst part about that is that the Brute is the end of the fight. You kill him, and about 10 seconds later you get the cutscene. The trick is surviving his ass in that TIGHT AS HELL ROOM! There is just no room to maneuver up there! It took me a good 10 tries before I finally got it once, and that was AFTER I had to restart the chapter to try and get there with more ammo. That entire sequence is a nightmare of a fight, and if you don't have a way to make flashbangs, I honestly don't know how you're supposed to win that fight.

Edit: unrelatedly, I've been looking at the silly mods on Nexus Mods for this game, and I have been highly amused. There is stuff like "Replace Del Lago with Kyogre" and "Replace Leon with Ashley" (that one is a bit buggy, apparently). I'm gonna beat the game before I go around messing with mods for the characters, but I do find it amusing.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, the worst part about that is that the Brute is the end of the fight. You kill him, and about 10 seconds later you get the cutscene. The trick is surviving his ass in that TIGHT AS HELL ROOM! There is just no room to maneuver up there! It took me a good 10 tries before I finally got it once, and that was AFTER I had to restart the chapter to try and get there with more ammo. That entire sequence is a nightmare of a fight, and if you don't have a way to make flashbangs, I honestly don't know how you're supposed to win that fight.

Edit: unrelatedly, I've been looking at the silly mods on Nexus Mods for this game, and I have been highly amused. There is stuff like "Replace Del Lago with Kyogre" and "Replace Leon with Ashley" (that one is a bit buggy, apparently). I'm gonna beat the game before I go around messing with mods for the characters, but I do find it amusing.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I eventually got past that fight, but I never managed to kill the Brute a single time on each of my attempts. I got extremely lucky on my final attempt though; my health was practically empty and I got grabbed by an enemy on the stairs which was a guaranteed death for me, but what I suspect was only a few frames before a death animation would have played out the cutscene played of Ashley busting a door open for Leon and Luis to escape the house. By sheer luck I outlasted the timer by mere fractions of a second, although I still ended up with 10 deaths across the entire chapter. I believe one of them was just to the super dog in the village that managed to snag me while I was trying to cheese it by hopping back and forth over a low wall to take pot shots at it until the AI would figure out to run around the wall to reach me. Tongue

Something that I forgot about as a huge gripe of mine with this game that occurred a lot during the cabin fight is the pause that happens when picking up certain items due to the confirmation screen appearing for that item. I hate that it will still play for treasures you've collected before, and in the cabin fight it played every single time I collected wooden boards for the windows. I wish I could turn that feature off entirely.

Oh! And I actually forgot, the cutscenes that play in the cabin fight are awful. I died a few times simply because one would play in the middle of someone attacking me, and I couldn't react fast enough when the cutscene would end or be skipped to avoid the incoming attack. They really mess with the flow of the gameplay in that section. Eh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I eventually got past that fight, but I never managed to kill the Brute a single time on each of my attempts. I got extremely lucky on my final attempt though; my health was practically empty and I got grabbed by an enemy on the stairs which was a guaranteed death for me, but what I suspect was only a few frames before a death animation would have played out the cutscene played of Ashley busting a door open for Leon and Luis to escape the house. By sheer luck I outlasted the timer by mere fractions of a second, although I still ended up with 10 deaths across the entire chapter. I believe one of them was just to the super dog in the village that managed to snag me while I was trying to cheese it by hopping back and forth over a low wall to take pot shots at it until the AI would figure out to run around the wall to reach me. Tongue

Something that I forgot about as a huge gripe of mine with this game that occurred a lot during the cabin fight is the pause that happens when picking up certain items due to the confirmation screen appearing for that item. I hate that it will still play for treasures you've collected before, and in the cabin fight it played every single time I collected wooden boards for the windows. I wish I could turn that feature off entirely.

Oh! And I actually forgot, the cutscenes that play in the cabin fight are awful. I died a few times simply because one would play in the middle of someone attacking me, and I couldn't react fast enough when the cutscene would end or be skipped to avoid the incoming attack. They really mess with the flow of the gameplay in that section. Eh
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, super dog is actually easy if you have the bolt thrower; just spam the attachable mines! The bolt staggers, and the mine blows it up, knocking it on the ground for a good while.

I'll be honest, I got lucky with the fight, so I was almost alwayd in a position where I wasn't having to deal with an enemy attacking me when a cutscene went off, or I was already committing to a dodge anyway. Either way, it STILL took me easily as long as you to beat it, so I doubt it was truly making it that much more difficult for you. *shrug*
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, super dog is actually easy if you have the bolt thrower; just spam the attachable mines! The bolt staggers, and the mine blows it up, knocking it on the ground for a good while.

I'll be honest, I got lucky with the fight, so I was almost alwayd in a position where I wasn't having to deal with an enemy attacking me when a cutscene went off, or I was already committing to a dodge anyway. Either way, it STILL took me easily as long as you to beat it, so I doubt it was truly making it that much more difficult for you. *shrug*
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 3rd, 2023, 11:29 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
See I had the bolt thrower and was even using it with the mines for the super dog, only for the dog to conveniently move the second I fired a shot so my mine dart would go stick to a random bush or wall behind it. Rolleyes

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 3rd, 2023, 11:29 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
See I had the bolt thrower and was even using it with the mines for the super dog, only for the dog to conveniently move the second I fired a shot so my mine dart would go stick to a random bush or wall behind it. Rolleyes
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Passed the Water Hall fight by the skin of my teeth. 17 pistol rounds, 30 TMP rounds, and 3 shotgun shells to my name going into the next chapter. Halp. Also, the writing once again shows itself to be better in this version. Granted, it's pretty easy to beat "Ashley runs into the obvious trap because she's dumb!" Still, sentiment stands!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Passed the Water Hall fight by the skin of my teeth. 17 pistol rounds, 30 TMP rounds, and 3 shotgun shells to my name going into the next chapter. Halp. Also, the writing once again shows itself to be better in this version. Granted, it's pretty easy to beat "Ashley runs into the obvious trap because she's dumb!" Still, sentiment stands!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is the TMP worth getting? It's the only weapon my merchant has right now that I've still not bothered to buy, since in the original it was useful to do staggers and melee follow-ups with but with how little enemies stagger using a pistol which is stronger it gives me the feeling the TMP isn't going to be very useful for the approach it could be used for in the original game. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is the TMP worth getting? It's the only weapon my merchant has right now that I've still not bothered to buy, since in the original it was useful to do staggers and melee follow-ups with but with how little enemies stagger using a pistol which is stronger it gives me the feeling the TMP isn't going to be very useful for the approach it could be used for in the original game. Hmm
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
It doesn't stagger with every shot like it used to, but it puts out rounds fast enough that it will stagger enemies by the time you let go of the trigger. The problem is it eats ammo VERY quickly. It's also WAY more powerful than in the original game (I think it starts at, like, 0.5 instead of 0.3 in the original). Basically, it's useful to thin a crowd if you already have some distance. It's also useful against bosses if you can mag dump them. Otherwise, it's a lot like the bolt thrower: useful in very limited circumstances, but when those circumstances come up, you'll be glad you have it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
It doesn't stagger with every shot like it used to, but it puts out rounds fast enough that it will stagger enemies by the time you let go of the trigger. The problem is it eats ammo VERY quickly. It's also WAY more powerful than in the original game (I think it starts at, like, 0.5 instead of 0.3 in the original). Basically, it's useful to thin a crowd if you already have some distance. It's also useful against bosses if you can mag dump them. Otherwise, it's a lot like the bolt thrower: useful in very limited circumstances, but when those circumstances come up, you'll be glad you have it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Hmm, maybe I'll get it then. Just need to decide whether to get the TMP available to me right now or wait a bit and see if the merchant gets a better one in stock later when I have enough room in my case to hold it comfortably. Tongue

What do you (and anyone else playing/watching this game) think of Ada's voice acting btw? I've seen a lot of comments that her voice acting isn't that good in terms of both delivery and sound quality, but I've only had the one cutscene after the cabin that features her so far so I've not really heard enough to start forming a proper opinion on it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Hmm, maybe I'll get it then. Just need to decide whether to get the TMP available to me right now or wait a bit and see if the merchant gets a better one in stock later when I have enough room in my case to hold it comfortably. Tongue

What do you (and anyone else playing/watching this game) think of Ada's voice acting btw? I've seen a lot of comments that her voice acting isn't that good in terms of both delivery and sound quality, but I've only had the one cutscene after the cabin that features her so far so I've not really heard enough to start forming a proper opinion on it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
She's...acceptable. That's the best way I can describe it. The VA she had in the original was better, but that's true of Leon as well, so it's not really an insult to say that. I've only heard her twice now, so I guess I can't be a great judge, either. You're catching up on me pretty quickly.

Edit: At the other "Hardest section of the game": The Hedge Maze. You know, I actually like running the Gamecube version of the original game over all else, because you can skip that section entirely by shooting a lock through a door with the TMP; this was fixed in all other versions. So, having to do it in this version of the game? I'm not pleased!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
She's...acceptable. That's the best way I can describe it. The VA she had in the original was better, but that's true of Leon as well, so it's not really an insult to say that. I've only heard her twice now, so I guess I can't be a great judge, either. You're catching up on me pretty quickly.

Edit: At the other "Hardest section of the game": The Hedge Maze. You know, I actually like running the Gamecube version of the original game over all else, because you can skip that section entirely by shooting a lock through a door with the TMP; this was fixed in all other versions. So, having to do it in this version of the game? I'm not pleased!
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I just heard her lines. Know what it is? she's flat. Her voice is just flat and devoid of any emotion. I blame the voice director but she can't voice act at all. she literally sounds like she's reading a script instead of acting her lines. it's not horrible. But it's not good. It's... just is.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I just heard her lines. Know what it is? she's flat. Her voice is just flat and devoid of any emotion. I blame the voice director but she can't voice act at all. she literally sounds like she's reading a script instead of acting her lines. it's not horrible. But it's not good. It's... just is.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
...And the internet is harassing the voice actress for Ada's allegedly crappy voice. So, you know, that's awesome and all. And you know, I'd have to listen to her again, but an emotionless VA for Ada would actually fit her character quite a lot, given how disaffected she is. She's a mission girl, only having a soft spot for Leon because of their history (Probably from Leon going out of his way to save her several times), and even then she barely lets it on. She's very much a "mission first" kind of person, and while her snarky facade was fitting for the rest of the game in the original RE4, given the new tone of the remake, I'd say this would be a much better way to play her.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
...And the internet is harassing the voice actress for Ada's allegedly crappy voice. So, you know, that's awesome and all. And you know, I'd have to listen to her again, but an emotionless VA for Ada would actually fit her character quite a lot, given how disaffected she is. She's a mission girl, only having a soft spot for Leon because of their history (Probably from Leon going out of his way to save her several times), and even then she barely lets it on. She's very much a "mission first" kind of person, and while her snarky facade was fitting for the rest of the game in the original RE4, given the new tone of the remake, I'd say this would be a much better way to play her.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I haven't gotten that far to see how she speaks with Leon but I disagree. There's detached and cold and then there's nothing. She doesn't do detached and cold. She does nothing. She's reading a script. There's no acting being done. she's just there.

plus this "remakeverse" already had a voice actress for Ada. why wasn't sure bright back like most series do nowadays?

But I still agree with one thing. Whether she's good or bad for the role, die doesn't deserve what she's going through now. so utterly disgusting of the extreme fandom.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I haven't gotten that far to see how she speaks with Leon but I disagree. There's detached and cold and then there's nothing. She doesn't do detached and cold. She does nothing. She's reading a script. There's no acting being done. she's just there.

plus this "remakeverse" already had a voice actress for Ada. why wasn't sure bright back like most series do nowadays?

But I still agree with one thing. Whether she's good or bad for the role, die doesn't deserve what she's going through now. so utterly disgusting of the extreme fandom.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 4th, 2023, 10:21 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This is the part I just got past this morning. I found using the second rifle the game offers to you as being very good for one shotting the dogs if there's either enough distance or you can catch one through one of the fences. The Riot Shotgun can be okay but doesn't always kill in one shot like the rifle did for me so you can end up using more ammo.

Overall it wasn't as bad as the original for me, likely because I rarely had more than one dog engaged with me at a time plus they kept running away after attacking then taking a while to turn up again, unlike the original game where I felt the dogs were pretty much on you once you trigger them and didn't stop until they died.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 03:37 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I just heard her lines. Know what it is? she's flat. Her voice is just flat and devoid of any emotion.
Having encountered a second cutscene with her, I'd agree with this. If they didn't want to go for the femme fatale character that she was in the OG RE4 that's fine, but I think she needs to be a bit more cold or dismissive in her tone in this remake. It sounds like the voice for Uncharted's Elena Fisher but if she was kept at a single voice tone. I don't hate it mind you, but the lack of interest I get from her tone makes me find it hard to care to listen to her.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 03:44 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ada being emotionless or detached personally from the situation is definitely a good fit for her character, but the lack of depth in her voice regardless of the line being said doesn't give that feeling to me. Leon gives very little to the police officers at the beginning of the game but he gave me a much stronger vibe of "I'm here for a mission not to make friends" in those moments compared to Ada, despite that being a bigger part of her character than him.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 01:10 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I believe the RE2R actress was supportive or outright part of a voice actors union which Capcom wasn't a fan of, so they replaced her. I might be wrong though but I think I'm recalling it correctly.

As for the threats against the actress, it doesn't surprise me to see it but it's still bullshit. Criticize the performance all you want but don't start doing personal attacks. I wish sites would crack down on that and just ban accounts that do it. Heck if anyone doing it could be tied to their gamer accounts I'd be totally fine having those banned. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 4th, 2023, 10:21 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This is the part I just got past this morning. I found using the second rifle the game offers to you as being very good for one shotting the dogs if there's either enough distance or you can catch one through one of the fences. The Riot Shotgun can be okay but doesn't always kill in one shot like the rifle did for me so you can end up using more ammo.

Overall it wasn't as bad as the original for me, likely because I rarely had more than one dog engaged with me at a time plus they kept running away after attacking then taking a while to turn up again, unlike the original game where I felt the dogs were pretty much on you once you trigger them and didn't stop until they died.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 03:37 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I just heard her lines. Know what it is? she's flat. Her voice is just flat and devoid of any emotion.
Having encountered a second cutscene with her, I'd agree with this. If they didn't want to go for the femme fatale character that she was in the OG RE4 that's fine, but I think she needs to be a bit more cold or dismissive in her tone in this remake. It sounds like the voice for Uncharted's Elena Fisher but if she was kept at a single voice tone. I don't hate it mind you, but the lack of interest I get from her tone makes me find it hard to care to listen to her.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 03:44 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ada being emotionless or detached personally from the situation is definitely a good fit for her character, but the lack of depth in her voice regardless of the line being said doesn't give that feeling to me. Leon gives very little to the police officers at the beginning of the game but he gave me a much stronger vibe of "I'm here for a mission not to make friends" in those moments compared to Ada, despite that being a bigger part of her character than him.

(Apr 5th, 2023, 01:10 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I believe the RE2R actress was supportive or outright part of a voice actors union which Capcom wasn't a fan of, so they replaced her. I might be wrong though but I think I'm recalling it correctly.

As for the threats against the actress, it doesn't surprise me to see it but it's still bullshit. Criticize the performance all you want but don't start doing personal attacks. I wish sites would crack down on that and just ban accounts that do it. Heck if anyone doing it could be tied to their gamer accounts I'd be totally fine having those banned. Errm
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Regardless of that, her character always has a soft spot for Leon. That's how their relationship is and she's terrible at hiding it. None of that is conveyed in her voice. Nothing is converted in her voice. Only words being said.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Regardless of that, her character always has a soft spot for Leon. That's how their relationship is and she's terrible at hiding it. None of that is conveyed in her voice. Nothing is converted in her voice. Only words being said.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Fantasy (Series) | Kitase Comments on FF6 Remake Moonface 3 210 Feb 1st, 2024, 04:06 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Resident Evil (Series) Moonface 77 42,996 Dec 4th, 2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Super Mario RPG (Remake) Moonface 19 2,351 Nov 13th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Final Fantasy VII Remake Moonface 82 40,058 Jun 16th, 2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  MediEvil Remake Metallix 7 5,845 Oct 6th, 2019, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Metallix