Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,597
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've had a particular question bugging me for a while now about The Legend of Zelda and been wracking my brain over where a good place would be to pitch it, and finally came up with this thread idea for questions we've had about something in a game that isn't necessarily answered by the game or any lore and is instead based on speculation, guesses, or just doesn't have any answer or explanation that can be formulated.

So for my question, my question is why is Zelda always titled as Princess even when she is the only surviving member of the royal family. Breath of the Wild establishes that the current King of Hyrule is killed during the Calamity, as well as any other members of the royal family except for Zelda, and yet in Tears of the Kingdom everyone still refers to her as Princess Zelda. Wouldn't she be the Queen of Hyrule now? She's the only surviving member of the royal family and as such isn't in line for the throne as a Princess because that line got evaporated 100+ years ago, so shouldn't she just get promoted like Prince Charles did when Queen Elizabeth died? I don't know if she's the only royal family member if any other games but besides keeping her as Princess Zelda for consistency and marketing as a character I can't figure out any lore/in-world reason why she keeps that title when the throne is open for her to take.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,597 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've had a particular question bugging me for a while now about The Legend of Zelda and been wracking my brain over where a good place would be to pitch it, and finally came up with this thread idea for questions we've had about something in a game that isn't necessarily answered by the game or any lore and is instead based on speculation, guesses, or just doesn't have any answer or explanation that can be formulated.

So for my question, my question is why is Zelda always titled as Princess even when she is the only surviving member of the royal family. Breath of the Wild establishes that the current King of Hyrule is killed during the Calamity, as well as any other members of the royal family except for Zelda, and yet in Tears of the Kingdom everyone still refers to her as Princess Zelda. Wouldn't she be the Queen of Hyrule now? She's the only surviving member of the royal family and as such isn't in line for the throne as a Princess because that line got evaporated 100+ years ago, so shouldn't she just get promoted like Prince Charles did when Queen Elizabeth died? I don't know if she's the only royal family member if any other games but besides keeping her as Princess Zelda for consistency and marketing as a character I can't figure out any lore/in-world reason why she keeps that title when the throne is open for her to take.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
She continues to be referred to as Princess because there's no longer a kingdom, and thus no one to preform the coronation ceremony for her, and thus she is forever stuck at just being the Princess, never to be Queen. Trust me, my uncle works for Nintendo and told me this.

On a serious note (hey, who knows, maybe that is the reason Nintendo would give for it), my guess would be that she's not "Queen" Zelda because there's no Kingdom left. The kingdom is destroyed, the royal family is gone, she's just by herself now. Maybe she continues to be referred to as Princess strictly out of respect, despite their being no royal family anymore, essentially just making her a normal person now (after all, being royalty is just a status that can be lost -- plenty of instances of that happening throughout history). Perhaps if they make a third game in the BoTW/ToTK series of Zelda games, they'll have the Kingdom be saved and restored, and Zelda will be crowned Queen then.

In the end though it's probably not even something Nintendo thought about and just kept having her referred to as Princess Zelda in BoTW and ToTK just because that's what the fandom has always known her as and they figured it would just be easier to keep referring to her as that.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
She continues to be referred to as Princess because there's no longer a kingdom, and thus no one to preform the coronation ceremony for her, and thus she is forever stuck at just being the Princess, never to be Queen. Trust me, my uncle works for Nintendo and told me this.

On a serious note (hey, who knows, maybe that is the reason Nintendo would give for it), my guess would be that she's not "Queen" Zelda because there's no Kingdom left. The kingdom is destroyed, the royal family is gone, she's just by herself now. Maybe she continues to be referred to as Princess strictly out of respect, despite their being no royal family anymore, essentially just making her a normal person now (after all, being royalty is just a status that can be lost -- plenty of instances of that happening throughout history). Perhaps if they make a third game in the BoTW/ToTK series of Zelda games, they'll have the Kingdom be saved and restored, and Zelda will be crowned Queen then.

In the end though it's probably not even something Nintendo thought about and just kept having her referred to as Princess Zelda in BoTW and ToTK just because that's what the fandom has always known her as and they figured it would just be easier to keep referring to her as that.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looking up Zelda on a Wiki, I noticed she is explicitly named in the opening of TotK as "Zelda - Princess of Hyrule", so I assume the kingdom is still in existence especially as she is helping to rebuild what was destroyed prior to the events of TotK happening. However, your point on a ceremony being required has weight since apparently Twilight Princess opens with Zelda intending to become Queen, but the ceremony for it is interrupted by Zant so she is forced to spend the entire game as Princess. I guess the same thing has to happen in the TotK timeline, and just hadn't happened yet. She is also called Queen Zelda in Hyrule Warriors in the Japanese version, although it isn't a canon game.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever try to give a decent lore reason for how every new generation of Pokémon has all these new Pokémon that have never been heard of before in a region never heard of before. We've gone from 151 to over 1000 and as far as I know there's no in-universe reason given for how 10x the Pokémon exist but aren't discovered or known of in any way until Game Freak makes them.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looking up Zelda on a Wiki, I noticed she is explicitly named in the opening of TotK as "Zelda - Princess of Hyrule", so I assume the kingdom is still in existence especially as she is helping to rebuild what was destroyed prior to the events of TotK happening. However, your point on a ceremony being required has weight since apparently Twilight Princess opens with Zelda intending to become Queen, but the ceremony for it is interrupted by Zant so she is forced to spend the entire game as Princess. I guess the same thing has to happen in the TotK timeline, and just hadn't happened yet. She is also called Queen Zelda in Hyrule Warriors in the Japanese version, although it isn't a canon game.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever try to give a decent lore reason for how every new generation of Pokémon has all these new Pokémon that have never been heard of before in a region never heard of before. We've gone from 151 to over 1000 and as far as I know there's no in-universe reason given for how 10x the Pokémon exist but aren't discovered or known of in any way until Game Freak makes them.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Aug 16th, 2023, 07:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, I have no clue. I just threw out a random guess because I haven't played a new Zelda game since A Link Between Worlds, and I also never played Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, which makes Wind Waker on the Gamecube my last console Zelda game, so I have no clue what the timeline/lore of the series is like any more. So I'm definitely no expert and can't give any theories back by concrete reasoning for any of it.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Aug 16th, 2023, 07:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, I have no clue. I just threw out a random guess because I haven't played a new Zelda game since A Link Between Worlds, and I also never played Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, which makes Wind Waker on the Gamecube my last console Zelda game, so I have no clue what the timeline/lore of the series is like any more. So I'm definitely no expert and can't give any theories back by concrete reasoning for any of it.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Keep having this come to mind and forget to post it in here every time. I've never understood what the reason is the villains in Uncharted 3 are actually after the Djinn urn. At face value you could say because they're villains that want power from an ancient artifact. Which would be true but the whole story leading up to this contradicts their whole motive.

This urn is presumably filled with something like a hallucinogen that tainted the water of Ubar, leading everyone who drank the water to lose their minds and kill each other thinking they were seeing demons. The villains of Uncharted 3 want this to control their enemies through fear, but both Cutter and Drake are at different points shot with a dart by the villains that causes them to hallucinate and be convinced their friends are foes, as well as being put into a state of great fear. These darts clearly do not contain the essence of whatever tainted the water in Ubar because no one has gone there yet, so why is it that what the villains are already using isn't good enough?

The best I can assume is the urn can contaminate an incredibly large source of water and is wanted to do what the darts do on a larger scale, but it's weird to me the villains don't just use what they have already to target just their enemies instead of what I assume would be an entire civilian population that isn't doing anything to be their enemies. Hmm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Keep having this come to mind and forget to post it in here every time. I've never understood what the reason is the villains in Uncharted 3 are actually after the Djinn urn. At face value you could say because they're villains that want power from an ancient artifact. Which would be true but the whole story leading up to this contradicts their whole motive.

This urn is presumably filled with something like a hallucinogen that tainted the water of Ubar, leading everyone who drank the water to lose their minds and kill each other thinking they were seeing demons. The villains of Uncharted 3 want this to control their enemies through fear, but both Cutter and Drake are at different points shot with a dart by the villains that causes them to hallucinate and be convinced their friends are foes, as well as being put into a state of great fear. These darts clearly do not contain the essence of whatever tainted the water in Ubar because no one has gone there yet, so why is it that what the villains are already using isn't good enough?

The best I can assume is the urn can contaminate an incredibly large source of water and is wanted to do what the darts do on a larger scale, but it's weird to me the villains don't just use what they have already to target just their enemies instead of what I assume would be an entire civilian population that isn't doing anything to be their enemies. Hmm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I originally came to make this post to question why the Gerudo in The Legend of Zelda don't just make a note to kill the sole Gerudo male that gets born every 100 years since it will clearly never end well to let it live, but I discovered that Ganon/Ganondorf has only had three incarnations across the entire franchise and so the Gerudo probably haven't even had the opportunity to implement a "Gerudo Male Newborn Elimination Plan".

Looking back at earlier posts in here though, I extend the Nintendo Princess debate to ask why is Princess Peach not the Queen of the Mushroom Kingdom when she's the ruler of said kingdom? Apparently there have been very minor mentions of her mother but if Peach is the ruler then shouldn't she be Queen? Same applies to Daisy too being the ruler of Sarasaland yet remaining as a princess.
I guess the same argument for why Zelda is still a princess could apply, but unlike Hyrule neither the Musrhoom Kingdom or Sarasaland have suffered from a war or evil force killing off all the people who could perform a ceremony to make Peach or Daisy the Queen so what canonically is stopping them? Tongue

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I originally came to make this post to question why the Gerudo in The Legend of Zelda don't just make a note to kill the sole Gerudo male that gets born every 100 years since it will clearly never end well to let it live, but I discovered that Ganon/Ganondorf has only had three incarnations across the entire franchise and so the Gerudo probably haven't even had the opportunity to implement a "Gerudo Male Newborn Elimination Plan".

Looking back at earlier posts in here though, I extend the Nintendo Princess debate to ask why is Princess Peach not the Queen of the Mushroom Kingdom when she's the ruler of said kingdom? Apparently there have been very minor mentions of her mother but if Peach is the ruler then shouldn't she be Queen? Same applies to Daisy too being the ruler of Sarasaland yet remaining as a princess.
I guess the same argument for why Zelda is still a princess could apply, but unlike Hyrule neither the Musrhoom Kingdom or Sarasaland have suffered from a war or evil force killing off all the people who could perform a ceremony to make Peach or Daisy the Queen so what canonically is stopping them? Tongue
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I actually wonder if it's a thing that Nintendo (and I suppose Disney) finds that kids identify more with a princess than a queen; princess invokes "young, pleasant, perky" and queen probably invokes a parental/adult figure with which a kid would be completely out of tune with.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I actually wonder if it's a thing that Nintendo (and I suppose Disney) finds that kids identify more with a princess than a queen; princess invokes "young, pleasant, perky" and queen probably invokes a parental/adult figure with which a kid would be completely out of tune with.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 17th, 2024, 07:17 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Hmm, maybe. For Disney I figured they go for Princess because a) you're more likely to call a little girl a princess than a queen and b) most of the older Disney movies were about the princess finding their prince. I don't know if Japanese culture has a similar view to the term princess as Disney does though, although Disney doesn't tend to make their princesses rulers of a kingdom like Nintendo does.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 17th, 2024, 07:17 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Hmm, maybe. For Disney I figured they go for Princess because a) you're more likely to call a little girl a princess than a queen and b) most of the older Disney movies were about the princess finding their prince. I don't know if Japanese culture has a similar view to the term princess as Disney does though, although Disney doesn't tend to make their princesses rulers of a kingdom like Nintendo does.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Games Done Quick Moonface 34 3,101 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 11 434 Apr 11th, 2024, 11:01 PM
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 28 8,446 Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:44 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 136 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 807 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM