Games You Didn't Play Because You Watched Them?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Had this idea from @Mr EliteL's Ask Me thread where he mentioned not having interest in playing DMC5 after just watching some of it instead, so what games have you not played because you watched a playthrough instead? I'm not meaning games where you watched it and decided the game wasn't for you, but rather you would've played it yourself had you not watched a playthrough beforehand?

To give an example that's based on an experience of my own, I think I would've loved to play Subnautica but my first experience with the game in any capacity (even down to really knowing what it was) was from watching someone play it on Twitch. I got so invested in watching their playthrough that I ended up catching the entire thing, and then the problem was that a lot of the fun of that game is exploring and uncovering things. When you know everything the game has to find, it loses a lot of the appeal, and the same goes for the creatures you'll encounter too. I would have played the sequel but I heard that wasn't very good, so that pretty much locks me out of experiencing Subnautica in any way first-hand I guess. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Had this idea from @Mr EliteL's Ask Me thread where he mentioned not having interest in playing DMC5 after just watching some of it instead, so what games have you not played because you watched a playthrough instead? I'm not meaning games where you watched it and decided the game wasn't for you, but rather you would've played it yourself had you not watched a playthrough beforehand?

To give an example that's based on an experience of my own, I think I would've loved to play Subnautica but my first experience with the game in any capacity (even down to really knowing what it was) was from watching someone play it on Twitch. I got so invested in watching their playthrough that I ended up catching the entire thing, and then the problem was that a lot of the fun of that game is exploring and uncovering things. When you know everything the game has to find, it loses a lot of the appeal, and the same goes for the creatures you'll encounter too. I would have played the sequel but I heard that wasn't very good, so that pretty much locks me out of experiencing Subnautica in any way first-hand I guess. Tongue
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I mainly watch cutscenes and not really playthroughs, although I have done sometimes like games played by streamers/YouTubers in the past. But I have also watched then did get them, although some were free at the time (RPG Maker games).

For DMC5 and a few others I still intended to get them just not straight away, but then later on that urge just fades so I decide to look for a different game to potentially buy. That or if I'll find the time to get around to it, and with my backlog of games I just don't want to add to it, which is why my list for upcoming games is always so low or some get removed. *sigh* Or they just end up as a game I simply no longer want.

Mortal Kombat 9-11/1 for the story campaign only, then maybe looking at how ridiculous fatalities are but this also falls under games I wasn't going to buy because of all the more....realistic portrayal of severe and fatal injuries. One look is all I need. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I mainly watch cutscenes and not really playthroughs, although I have done sometimes like games played by streamers/YouTubers in the past. But I have also watched then did get them, although some were free at the time (RPG Maker games).

For DMC5 and a few others I still intended to get them just not straight away, but then later on that urge just fades so I decide to look for a different game to potentially buy. That or if I'll find the time to get around to it, and with my backlog of games I just don't want to add to it, which is why my list for upcoming games is always so low or some get removed. *sigh* Or they just end up as a game I simply no longer want.

Mortal Kombat 9-11/1 for the story campaign only, then maybe looking at how ridiculous fatalities are but this also falls under games I wasn't going to buy because of all the more....realistic portrayal of severe and fatal injuries. One look is all I need. XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 21st, 2023, 11:46 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
If you want an in-depth look at the story of the later MK games and also a tally of the canon deaths, I recommend looking at the Dead Meat videos that were recently made for MK10 and MK11. Wink

Resistance 3 is another game that I didn't play because I watched it first, and I'm glad I did because I wasn't really a fan of how the ending levels felt like a carbon copy of the London sections from Resistance: Fall of Man.
Until Dawn is also a game I own a copy of but will likely never play because I stupidly watched a full playthrough of it when it released, not knowing the game is mostly about the story rather than any actual gameplay (to me it's a glorified visual novel).
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 21st, 2023, 11:46 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
If you want an in-depth look at the story of the later MK games and also a tally of the canon deaths, I recommend looking at the Dead Meat videos that were recently made for MK10 and MK11. Wink

Resistance 3 is another game that I didn't play because I watched it first, and I'm glad I did because I wasn't really a fan of how the ending levels felt like a carbon copy of the London sections from Resistance: Fall of Man.
Until Dawn is also a game I own a copy of but will likely never play because I stupidly watched a full playthrough of it when it released, not knowing the game is mostly about the story rather than any actual gameplay (to me it's a glorified visual novel).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Games Done Quick Moonface 34 3,101 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 11 431 Apr 11th, 2024, 11:01 PM
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 28 8,428 Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:44 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game Details You (Maybe) Didn't Notice? Moonface 5 290 Mar 20th, 2024, 04:32 PM
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 681 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM