Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
There's been some discussions circulating about what the new Paper Mario game will be like, with one claim stating it will be similar to the N64 and Gamecube titles, and another saying the game hopes to surpass TTYD. I hope it takes the strengths from all the games and brings them together if it can, since there may be good things in games that came after TTYD that were improvements to the formula and if so they shouldn't be ignored just because the new game is apparently going to be inspired by the first two games.

Other than sharing your thoughts or hopes on what the new Paper Mario game could be like, what do you think about the series as a whole? Do you have a favourite game? Did you prefer having companions? Have all the games lacked something you wanted to see fixed but it never happened?

I've only fully played TTYD and Sticker Star, and I enjoyed both but TTYD was my favourite of the two because I preferred having companions. It makes the dialogue better because Mario has someone on his side who can speak, whereas without them he doesn't say anything and so all the interactions feel like those from any other Mario game but with a paper aesthetic.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
There's been some discussions circulating about what the new Paper Mario game will be like, with one claim stating it will be similar to the N64 and Gamecube titles, and another saying the game hopes to surpass TTYD. I hope it takes the strengths from all the games and brings them together if it can, since there may be good things in games that came after TTYD that were improvements to the formula and if so they shouldn't be ignored just because the new game is apparently going to be inspired by the first two games.

Other than sharing your thoughts or hopes on what the new Paper Mario game could be like, what do you think about the series as a whole? Do you have a favourite game? Did you prefer having companions? Have all the games lacked something you wanted to see fixed but it never happened?

I've only fully played TTYD and Sticker Star, and I enjoyed both but TTYD was my favourite of the two because I preferred having companions. It makes the dialogue better because Mario has someone on his side who can speak, whereas without them he doesn't say anything and so all the interactions feel like those from any other Mario game but with a paper aesthetic.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I find it a shame that while the gameplay has changed over the years for the worst, the writing quality has not; it's like half the game's spirit still exists, and the rest just... carries the rotting carcass around.

I wonder if sales have been down enough and interest in the old games has made the team reconsider how the gameplay would be in future titles?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I find it a shame that while the gameplay has changed over the years for the worst, the writing quality has not; it's like half the game's spirit still exists, and the rest just... carries the rotting carcass around.

I wonder if sales have been down enough and interest in the old games has made the team reconsider how the gameplay would be in future titles?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 27th, 2020, 12:17 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
If this is anything to go by, sales haven't really tanked until Color Splash: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Paper_Mario

I have no idea if that game was drastically different, or if people didn't want to give it a chance after playing Sticker Star and having some problem with that game.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 27th, 2020, 12:17 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
If this is anything to go by, sales haven't really tanked until Color Splash: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Paper_Mario

I have no idea if that game was drastically different, or if people didn't want to give it a chance after playing Sticker Star and having some problem with that game.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Uh, we looking at the same chart? It peaked with Super Paper Mario, and fell by half in units sold in Paper Mario Sticker Star. And it's not even on a system that hasn't sold well, either.

Paper Mario: The Origami King Announced!

A new paper-crafted Mario adventure unfolds on Nintendo Switch this summer, coming July 17th, 2020!
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Uh, we looking at the same chart? It peaked with Super Paper Mario, and fell by half in units sold in Paper Mario Sticker Star. And it's not even on a system that hasn't sold well, either.

Paper Mario: The Origami King Announced!

A new paper-crafted Mario adventure unfolds on Nintendo Switch this summer, coming July 17th, 2020!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My first game was Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, then Super Paper Mario, then through Wii's Virtual Console of the original Paper Mario. Didn't touch Sticker Star, couldn't for Color Splash as I never got a Wii U, nor the crossover game with Mario & Luigi series of games (I was tempted but alas...I did not).

Absolutely loved Paper Mario TTYD, adored the original and actually enjoyed Super Paper Mario despite the drastic change it made to gameplay. The first two games having partners and NPCs that are were a variety or different from what we usually see in Mario games and yes M&L and Super Mario RPG did too. SPM as well but less so with Pixls as they were merely tools for Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi to use and only Tippi being memorable out of them as she had significance to the plot.

Concerning Origami King, I'm finding it difficult to feel excited even after watching it four times now. I need to at least see one more trailer, I'm assuming there might be nearer the July release. Did get a good vibe from the start of the trailer, with Peach being on the side of the origami (thinking mostly unwillingly?), and Mario getting his own being from that 'side' with him. Since I didn't get Sticker Star or Color Splash, I feel I should get this though. Will decide later.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My first game was Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, then Super Paper Mario, then through Wii's Virtual Console of the original Paper Mario. Didn't touch Sticker Star, couldn't for Color Splash as I never got a Wii U, nor the crossover game with Mario & Luigi series of games (I was tempted but alas...I did not).

Absolutely loved Paper Mario TTYD, adored the original and actually enjoyed Super Paper Mario despite the drastic change it made to gameplay. The first two games having partners and NPCs that are were a variety or different from what we usually see in Mario games and yes M&L and Super Mario RPG did too. SPM as well but less so with Pixls as they were merely tools for Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi to use and only Tippi being memorable out of them as she had significance to the plot.

Concerning Origami King, I'm finding it difficult to feel excited even after watching it four times now. I need to at least see one more trailer, I'm assuming there might be nearer the July release. Did get a good vibe from the start of the trailer, with Peach being on the side of the origami (thinking mostly unwillingly?), and Mario getting his own being from that 'side' with him. Since I didn't get Sticker Star or Color Splash, I feel I should get this though. Will decide later.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think that Origami "Peach" isn't Peach but the main villain disguised as Peach, considering you see them in the next scene unraveling themselves as such. Still, it is intriguing, and the new battle system does seem worth a try, which is more than I can say about the last two entries in the series.

Do we count Paper Jam as a Paper Mario entry, or a Mario&Luigi entry? Hmm
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think that Origami "Peach" isn't Peach but the main villain disguised as Peach, considering you see them in the next scene unraveling themselves as such. Still, it is intriguing, and the new battle system does seem worth a try, which is more than I can say about the last two entries in the series.

Do we count Paper Jam as a Paper Mario entry, or a Mario&Luigi entry? Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah that's a good point since that origami was a Shy Guy at first in that moment in the trailer. I'm kinda worried about this battle system, but better to actually try it myself. Wonder if there'll be a demo, as I would definitely try that out.

Would count Paper Jam more as a Mario & Luigi game, but felt it necessary to mention that as it does have quite a lot of Paper Mario characters and some features from that too.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah that's a good point since that origami was a Shy Guy at first in that moment in the trailer. I'm kinda worried about this battle system, but better to actually try it myself. Wonder if there'll be a demo, as I would definitely try that out.

Would count Paper Jam more as a Mario & Luigi game, but felt it necessary to mention that as it does have quite a lot of Paper Mario characters and some features from that too.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the new battle system could be fun, since the timer means you have to think fast about how to manipulate the rings. According to translations there are three options in the bottom right corner that say "Help, Cheer, Run" which sounds like maybe the crowd feature of TTYD is back.

I'll probably wait on some more gameplay and/or details to come out along with reviews to see whether I buy this at launch or wait on it. As promising as it looks I want to go into it knowing what I'm going to get so that I don't get disappointed by having the wrong expectations or hopes for it.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the new battle system could be fun, since the timer means you have to think fast about how to manipulate the rings. According to translations there are three options in the bottom right corner that say "Help, Cheer, Run" which sounds like maybe the crowd feature of TTYD is back.

I'll probably wait on some more gameplay and/or details to come out along with reviews to see whether I buy this at launch or wait on it. As promising as it looks I want to go into it knowing what I'm going to get so that I don't get disappointed by having the wrong expectations or hopes for it.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I'm really counting on Nintendo to release more(new) video snippets of the game before launch, but I'm cautiously optimistic in general. I do hope they'll also release a demo, too, like you said EL. Nintendo has been doing pretty good with that lately so it's possible, but we'll see.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I'm really counting on Nintendo to release more(new) video snippets of the game before launch, but I'm cautiously optimistic in general. I do hope they'll also release a demo, too, like you said EL. Nintendo has been doing pretty good with that lately so it's possible, but we'll see.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think it could do Nintendo good to release a demo, given how there's probably a lot of people like some of us here who are on the fence with the game and depending on how the marketing for this game turns out, there could be a notable percentage of people interested who will wait until after launch to see how the game is, and a demo would help tackle that and encourage those players to buy the game sooner than they may have originally intended to.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think it could do Nintendo good to release a demo, given how there's probably a lot of people like some of us here who are on the fence with the game and depending on how the marketing for this game turns out, there could be a notable percentage of people interested who will wait until after launch to see how the game is, and a demo would help tackle that and encourage those players to buy the game sooner than they may have originally intended to.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I think I'm the only Paper Mario fan who actually liked the changes to the series. I always get the Paper Mario games & enjoy them, so I'm sure the Origami King will be just as enjoyable if not more so.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I think I'm the only Paper Mario fan who actually liked the changes to the series. I always get the Paper Mario games & enjoy them, so I'm sure the Origami King will be just as enjoyable if not more so.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Second More In-depth Look at Origami King

Here's another trailer for Origami King with gameplay, exploration, partners, battles and bosses to glance over.

Had to watch a couple times over after my first watch. Was getting into this a bit more, but the downside being what the bosses were. As we already saw the rubber band being before, I assumed that would be a boss. But they've gone and added more, a 12 pack of colouring pencils and tape?! I was fine with the one like that. Did notice the large origami Blooper near the beginning, but that could be a sub-boss? Seems strange there'd be 4 already revealed. Hoping the three...stationary bosses are early and not all are like that. Gotta say the way boss battles are different to normal fights looks OK at least. Not convinced me for a day one buy yet although I don't want to get to spoiled by people who do.

Apparently there's screenshots showing what Luigi is up to, menu items for boots and hammers as well as badge-like accessories but only found it in this video so far, mute and look or listen to what the guy says if you want:

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Second More In-depth Look at Origami King

Here's another trailer for Origami King with gameplay, exploration, partners, battles and bosses to glance over.

Had to watch a couple times over after my first watch. Was getting into this a bit more, but the downside being what the bosses were. As we already saw the rubber band being before, I assumed that would be a boss. But they've gone and added more, a 12 pack of colouring pencils and tape?! I was fine with the one like that. Did notice the large origami Blooper near the beginning, but that could be a sub-boss? Seems strange there'd be 4 already revealed. Hoping the three...stationary bosses are early and not all are like that. Gotta say the way boss battles are different to normal fights looks OK at least. Not convinced me for a day one buy yet although I don't want to get to spoiled by people who do.

Apparently there's screenshots showing what Luigi is up to, menu items for boots and hammers as well as badge-like accessories but only found it in this video so far, mute and look or listen to what the guy says if you want:

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I hate the boss designs. Why not have origami constructions that are those things or beings that utilise those as weapons. Like the tape is used by something as a whip and the pencils like spears that are used to throw and stab? It just feels so uninspired and boring. Eh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I hate the boss designs. Why not have origami constructions that are those things or beings that utilise those as weapons. Like the tape is used by something as a whip and the pencils like spears that are used to throw and stab? It just feels so uninspired and boring. Eh
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Jun 14th, 2020, 10:00 PM)Moonface Wrote:

To me it's just coming full circle as it were, because these bosses used to be 'things' you would find & use in your journey against certain story bosses. But now THEY they're the boss of the game & I think it's kind of cute, if not maybe a full circle thing of 'the things' coming back: but this time there in the game to TAKE YOU OUT. lol
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Jun 14th, 2020, 10:00 PM)Moonface Wrote:

To me it's just coming full circle as it were, because these bosses used to be 'things' you would find & use in your journey against certain story bosses. But now THEY they're the boss of the game & I think it's kind of cute, if not maybe a full circle thing of 'the things' coming back: but this time there in the game to TAKE YOU OUT. lol
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door | Remaster Coming in 2024
Announced during today's Nintendo Direct, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is coming to Nintendo Switch next year with enhanced graphics!

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door | Remaster Coming in 2024
Announced during today's Nintendo Direct, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is coming to Nintendo Switch next year with enhanced graphics!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persona (Series) | P3 Aigis The First Answer Port Announced Moonface 21 1,449 Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Rayman (Series) Moonface 18 9,892 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:07 PM
  Hades (Series) | Hades II Early Access Announcement Moonface 15 6,527 Apr 17th, 2024, 10:19 PM
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 120 12,755 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:29 PM
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 100 26,752 Apr 7th, 2024, 07:26 PM