Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Man 20 years, geez. I was only 13, where'd it all go?!

I am a fan of the Cornetto Trilogy, Shaun of the Dead was brilliant, Hot Fuzz I might say it slightly edges out as better but love them both, World's End is still good but not on the same league as the other two.

When you included that image though underneath I was wondering, "wait they're not making an AI version of everyone looking older are they?" I didn't believe that but it made me think would someone actually do that to a film or anything live action? XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Man 20 years, geez. I was only 13, where'd it all go?!

I am a fan of the Cornetto Trilogy, Shaun of the Dead was brilliant, Hot Fuzz I might say it slightly edges out as better but love them both, World's End is still good but not on the same league as the other two.

When you included that image though underneath I was wondering, "wait they're not making an AI version of everyone looking older are they?" I didn't believe that but it made me think would someone actually do that to a film or anything live action? XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 26th, 2024, 03:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
If you mean would someone use AI to do that, I could see it. There's already been movies where actors get aged up or down using CG, and if AI were able to do it cheaper it would probably get used unless there's something in place that forbids it i.e. an agreement of not using AI to replace jobs. Using AI on an existing movie to just make everyone older though I can't see except for people on the internet doing it to brief clips for shits and giggles, but it probably wouldn't give a great result because even if you make everyone look and sound old they're still going to be moving the same way so you'd just end up with a bunch of incredibly fit 80 year old's running around bashing zombies on their way to the pub. Tongue

I've never seen The World's End. Maybe some day I'll remember it exists for more than five seconds so I can actually watch it and finally say I've seen the entire trilogy. ROFL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 26th, 2024, 03:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
If you mean would someone use AI to do that, I could see it. There's already been movies where actors get aged up or down using CG, and if AI were able to do it cheaper it would probably get used unless there's something in place that forbids it i.e. an agreement of not using AI to replace jobs. Using AI on an existing movie to just make everyone older though I can't see except for people on the internet doing it to brief clips for shits and giggles, but it probably wouldn't give a great result because even if you make everyone look and sound old they're still going to be moving the same way so you'd just end up with a bunch of incredibly fit 80 year old's running around bashing zombies on their way to the pub. Tongue

I've never seen The World's End. Maybe some day I'll remember it exists for more than five seconds so I can actually watch it and finally say I've seen the entire trilogy. ROFL
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The World's End was the only one I saw in theaters; the other two I barely have seen, but I know the parts I've seen are solid.

I love the theaters bringing back some of these older movies as just reruns in the theaters and not as horrific remakes. Much better approach IMO
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The World's End was the only one I saw in theaters; the other two I barely have seen, but I know the parts I've seen are solid.

I love the theaters bringing back some of these older movies as just reruns in the theaters and not as horrific remakes. Much better approach IMO
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 22nd, 2024, 05:42 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I had no idea until right now that a teaser trailer dropped for a new Alien movie called Alien: Romulus. I vaguely recall hearing news ages ago about a new Alien movie going into production and that it was going to be ditching any remaining ties to the train wreck that is the Prometheus plot but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems promising, but it's hard to get my hopes up for this with how there hasn't been a good Alien movie since Aliens (although I would argue Alien 3 was decent if you watch the Assembly Cut and also go into it knowing the amount of bullshit the director had to work with). My biggest concern for now based on the trailer is whether the movie is going to lean too heavily on nostalgia or if it'll carve out its own identity.
Saw this movie this afternoon at a 4pm showing that ended about an hour ago, and overall I'd say this is a good Alien movie that while playing things pretty safely does still do some new things that are really cool. Here's my positives and negatives for anyone curious without anything being spoiled:

Positives
  • The aesthetic design of the locales is on point. This movie takes place between Alien and Aliens (where in between isn't stated, but I'm going to say it's nearer to Alien than Aliens in the timeline) and the environments definitely portray that even when they don't necessarily match 1:1 with those from Alien or Aliens. It's similar in a way to how Alien: Isolation captured the sci-fi aesthetic of Alien while still having its own identity at the same time.
  • A lot of phallic shit going on which I feel went missing from Alien movies after the first one.
  • References to previous Alien movies are mostly done well, besides one that I think didn't need to use the entire line it borrows.
  • As I said already, the new things this movie brings in are really good and mostly build on top of what exists already or take inspiration from something seen in another Alien movie which I think makes them fit in better than if they were so new that they're almost separate to the returning stuff like how Prometheus was doing things.
  • Horror vibe is on point, and it's heightened greatly by the camera work. There are so many amazing shots in this movie that can convey so much of the vibe and feeling on their respective moments even if they were seen as still images.
  • Nobody really does anything stupid. I'm not a fan of how dumb people are in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, so it's nice to see characters not doing something where I immediately want to yell "WHY?!" at the screen.

Negatives
  • I think the cast doesn't get enough time for us to really know them. Alien and Aliens took time just showing the cast existing before things go downhill for them, but this movie just pretty much introduces the rest of the cast outside the main two characters and immediately moves into the storm. I can't name a single character outside of the main two and I could only describe the personality of one of them.
  • One moment in the end of the second act is way too cheesy for my taste. I think the idea that leads into the moment was solid, but it doesn't feel like the movie could really figure out a good way to deal with the aftermath of the idea.
  • As always, this franchise struggles to establish a sense of time when it comes to how long it takes for a Chestburster to emerge or for an Alien to fully grow. I think this movie has the shortest time by a long stretch for either of those stages in the Alien life cycle, and I think it misses out on building up tension because of that.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 22nd, 2024, 05:42 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I had no idea until right now that a teaser trailer dropped for a new Alien movie called Alien: Romulus. I vaguely recall hearing news ages ago about a new Alien movie going into production and that it was going to be ditching any remaining ties to the train wreck that is the Prometheus plot but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems promising, but it's hard to get my hopes up for this with how there hasn't been a good Alien movie since Aliens (although I would argue Alien 3 was decent if you watch the Assembly Cut and also go into it knowing the amount of bullshit the director had to work with). My biggest concern for now based on the trailer is whether the movie is going to lean too heavily on nostalgia or if it'll carve out its own identity.
Saw this movie this afternoon at a 4pm showing that ended about an hour ago, and overall I'd say this is a good Alien movie that while playing things pretty safely does still do some new things that are really cool. Here's my positives and negatives for anyone curious without anything being spoiled:

Positives
  • The aesthetic design of the locales is on point. This movie takes place between Alien and Aliens (where in between isn't stated, but I'm going to say it's nearer to Alien than Aliens in the timeline) and the environments definitely portray that even when they don't necessarily match 1:1 with those from Alien or Aliens. It's similar in a way to how Alien: Isolation captured the sci-fi aesthetic of Alien while still having its own identity at the same time.
  • A lot of phallic shit going on which I feel went missing from Alien movies after the first one.
  • References to previous Alien movies are mostly done well, besides one that I think didn't need to use the entire line it borrows.
  • As I said already, the new things this movie brings in are really good and mostly build on top of what exists already or take inspiration from something seen in another Alien movie which I think makes them fit in better than if they were so new that they're almost separate to the returning stuff like how Prometheus was doing things.
  • Horror vibe is on point, and it's heightened greatly by the camera work. There are so many amazing shots in this movie that can convey so much of the vibe and feeling on their respective moments even if they were seen as still images.
  • Nobody really does anything stupid. I'm not a fan of how dumb people are in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, so it's nice to see characters not doing something where I immediately want to yell "WHY?!" at the screen.

Negatives
  • I think the cast doesn't get enough time for us to really know them. Alien and Aliens took time just showing the cast existing before things go downhill for them, but this movie just pretty much introduces the rest of the cast outside the main two characters and immediately moves into the storm. I can't name a single character outside of the main two and I could only describe the personality of one of them.
  • One moment in the end of the second act is way too cheesy for my taste. I think the idea that leads into the moment was solid, but it doesn't feel like the movie could really figure out a good way to deal with the aftermath of the idea.
  • As always, this franchise struggles to establish a sense of time when it comes to how long it takes for a Chestburster to emerge or for an Alien to fully grow. I think this movie has the shortest time by a long stretch for either of those stages in the Alien life cycle, and I think it misses out on building up tension because of that.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

So who else forgot there was going to be a Minecraft movie? LOL
I didn't get through the whole trailer yet, partly because I'm in class and partly because I didn't like what I was seeing and tapped out once that cursed sheep shows up. Like...this really needed to be an animated movie I feel rather than trying to do live action and putting this realistic texture work all over Minecraft that clashes horribly with the blocky shapes. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

So who else forgot there was going to be a Minecraft movie? LOL
I didn't get through the whole trailer yet, partly because I'm in class and partly because I didn't like what I was seeing and tapped out once that cursed sheep shows up. Like...this really needed to be an animated movie I feel rather than trying to do live action and putting this realistic texture work all over Minecraft that clashes horribly with the blocky shapes. Errm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Chat Thread Mr EliteL 3,996 1,848,228 3 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Sonic The Hedgehog (Movie Series) | Sonic 3 Trailer Moonface 58 21,107 Sep 1st, 2024, 06:41 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 264 57,532 Sep 1st, 2024, 06:34 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  The Car/Vehicle Thread Moonface 8 792 May 23rd, 2024, 11:43 PM
  Marvel C.U. | Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Mr EliteL 50 24,773 Apr 28th, 2024, 02:23 AM