Crusader Kings (series)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Just thought I'd make a thread about the 'Crusader Kings' series of strategy games, developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive.

The first game in the series, Crusader Kings, was released in 2004. In this game, the player took control of a feudal kingdom, playing as a succession of rulers from AD 1066 to 1452. They'd need to conduct the kingdom's affairs (wars, laws, diplomatic relationships, and so on), as well as their personal affairs (marriages, grooming heirs, etc.). Essentially, it was a blend of Civilization and The Sims, with a Medieval setting Tongue . 

Crusader Kings II was released eight years later, in 2012. It featured much the same sort of gameplay as its predecessor; however, it was thoroughly overhauled and updated using Paradox's Clausewitz engine. This game proved to be massively more successful, selling over a million copies in total (no small feat given that these games are something of a niche product). This success led to a wide array of DLCs being created, including the ability to play as a non-Christian ruler (e.g. Muslim or Hindu, each with their own set of mechanics); start from an earlier point in history; or make a wider range of lifestyle choices. It ended up being one of my favourite games ever: I've accumulated nearly 1,000 hours on it on my Steam account. 

Crusader Kings III was announced yesterday, for a 2020 release. Here's the trailer, which doesn't give away a whole lot: 

I have to admit, I'm very intrigued, but also a bit worried. After all, Civilization V was also one of my favourite games; however, Civilization VI didn't exactly amaze me (it was still a good game; it's just that it was quite different from Civ 5, so I ended up viewing it as a new game to play alongside Civ 5, rather than a replacement for Civ 5). There's a decent chance that CK3 will be the same: there's always a risk that it'll suck, and even if it's good, I think it's unlikely to replace CK2 for me. 

Anyway, I'll wait and see what else is announced!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Just thought I'd make a thread about the 'Crusader Kings' series of strategy games, developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive.

The first game in the series, Crusader Kings, was released in 2004. In this game, the player took control of a feudal kingdom, playing as a succession of rulers from AD 1066 to 1452. They'd need to conduct the kingdom's affairs (wars, laws, diplomatic relationships, and so on), as well as their personal affairs (marriages, grooming heirs, etc.). Essentially, it was a blend of Civilization and The Sims, with a Medieval setting Tongue . 

Crusader Kings II was released eight years later, in 2012. It featured much the same sort of gameplay as its predecessor; however, it was thoroughly overhauled and updated using Paradox's Clausewitz engine. This game proved to be massively more successful, selling over a million copies in total (no small feat given that these games are something of a niche product). This success led to a wide array of DLCs being created, including the ability to play as a non-Christian ruler (e.g. Muslim or Hindu, each with their own set of mechanics); start from an earlier point in history; or make a wider range of lifestyle choices. It ended up being one of my favourite games ever: I've accumulated nearly 1,000 hours on it on my Steam account. 

Crusader Kings III was announced yesterday, for a 2020 release. Here's the trailer, which doesn't give away a whole lot: 

I have to admit, I'm very intrigued, but also a bit worried. After all, Civilization V was also one of my favourite games; however, Civilization VI didn't exactly amaze me (it was still a good game; it's just that it was quite different from Civ 5, so I ended up viewing it as a new game to play alongside Civ 5, rather than a replacement for Civ 5). There's a decent chance that CK3 will be the same: there's always a risk that it'll suck, and even if it's good, I think it's unlikely to replace CK2 for me. 

Anyway, I'll wait and see what else is announced!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 21st, 2019, 12:36 AM)Kyng Wrote:
So what happens when you reach 1452? Does the game just end and tell you to start a new game? Or do they have an actual event happen that will eventually end your run as if you were being conquered like in reality?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So what happens when you reach 1452? Does the game just end and tell you to start a new game? Or do they have an actual event happen that will eventually end your run as if you were being conquered like in reality?
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Oct 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

The game just ends there, and you get a 'Game Over' screen which gives you your final score. 

(There's also an option to export your game to Europa Universalis IV - a similar game which covers the Renaissance and the Early Modern Period - so, if you really want to continue your game after 1452, then you can Tongue )
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Oct 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

The game just ends there, and you get a 'Game Over' screen which gives you your final score. 

(There's also an option to export your game to Europa Universalis IV - a similar game which covers the Renaissance and the Early Modern Period - so, if you really want to continue your game after 1452, then you can Tongue )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 113 11,898 Mar 26th, 2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 25,962 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,448 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,266 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,824 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface