I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I feel like emulation is a wonderful thing as for should we emulate games that just came out? Well I feel like if the title is something you enjoy or want to support definitely support the official release, but hey if you feel your PC is powerful enough to give you a better experience then go for it just odn't forget to send the message to Nintendo you enjoyed the game and want to support it. :O
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I feel like emulation is a wonderful thing as for should we emulate games that just came out? Well I feel like if the title is something you enjoy or want to support definitely support the official release, but hey if you feel your PC is powerful enough to give you a better experience then go for it just odn't forget to send the message to Nintendo you enjoyed the game and want to support it. :O
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The whole situation with Metroid Dread is just sad. If you can't afford a game, then you don't play it. Simple as that. You don't take your self-entitled little ass around and steal games so you can play them. The one time I would support Nintendo going around being sue happy is if there was some way they could find out who emulated the game and go around and just obliterate them all in court.

Obviously something of that scale isn't possible (I'd settle for the people who ripped the game and released the rom being sued for everything they have and everything they will ever have for the rest of their lives), but it would be so nice to see if it was.

Unfortunately we live in a time where a lot of gamers, especially "Pc MaStEr RaCe" gamers (quotes around gamers too) feel they are entitled to just steal whatever they don't feel like buying, or can't afford to buy. Or won't buy because they couldn't possibly handle living with the shame of playing on something besides their glorious PCs that can run games at 6969p at 420 FPS.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. Can't afford it? Find a new hobby.

Side note: As Shira said, emulating older games that no longer have an accessible copy any where (and a used physical copy costs into the thousands) is a different story. Emulating a new game that is $40-$70 just because you don't feel like you should have to pay for something that people put a lot of effort into it is just 100% being scum.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The whole situation with Metroid Dread is just sad. If you can't afford a game, then you don't play it. Simple as that. You don't take your self-entitled little ass around and steal games so you can play them. The one time I would support Nintendo going around being sue happy is if there was some way they could find out who emulated the game and go around and just obliterate them all in court.

Obviously something of that scale isn't possible (I'd settle for the people who ripped the game and released the rom being sued for everything they have and everything they will ever have for the rest of their lives), but it would be so nice to see if it was.

Unfortunately we live in a time where a lot of gamers, especially "Pc MaStEr RaCe" gamers (quotes around gamers too) feel they are entitled to just steal whatever they don't feel like buying, or can't afford to buy. Or won't buy because they couldn't possibly handle living with the shame of playing on something besides their glorious PCs that can run games at 6969p at 420 FPS.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. Can't afford it? Find a new hobby.

Side note: As Shira said, emulating older games that no longer have an accessible copy any where (and a used physical copy costs into the thousands) is a different story. Emulating a new game that is $40-$70 just because you don't feel like you should have to pay for something that people put a lot of effort into it is just 100% being scum.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, being unable to afford a game because of your current income isn't an excuse to emulate a brand new release, nor others that are still for sale and thus easy to access. That line of thinking can't work with even critical things like food, and certainly shouldn't with disposable forms of entertainment that can be lived without.

If you want to play the game on PC for whatever reason then fine, but at least purchase a copy of the game before emulating it. The only time emulating shouldn't require a purchase is if the game is old and/or difficult to obtain a legal copy of. Even if you don't want to buy the system, at least buy the game. Errm

To clarify, I'm not saying those who can't afford games should play none. But emulate the older stuff that nobody can get instead of the brand new releases that just came out.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, being unable to afford a game because of your current income isn't an excuse to emulate a brand new release, nor others that are still for sale and thus easy to access. That line of thinking can't work with even critical things like food, and certainly shouldn't with disposable forms of entertainment that can be lived without.

If you want to play the game on PC for whatever reason then fine, but at least purchase a copy of the game before emulating it. The only time emulating shouldn't require a purchase is if the game is old and/or difficult to obtain a legal copy of. Even if you don't want to buy the system, at least buy the game. Errm

To clarify, I'm not saying those who can't afford games should play none. But emulate the older stuff that nobody can get instead of the brand new releases that just came out.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
But who can even emulate brandnew games? I remember that it took a good while for computers to be able to handle PS1, N64 and even GBA emulation.

Also, I'm completely against of wishing financial ruin on anyone not guilty of anything less than actual murder.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
But who can even emulate brandnew games? I remember that it took a good while for computers to be able to handle PS1, N64 and even GBA emulation.

Also, I'm completely against of wishing financial ruin on anyone not guilty of anything less than actual murder.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 16th, 2021, 12:07 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
The problem is that Switch games aren't really that intensive to run, since the system itself is likely around the same level of power as PS3 or maybe early PS4. When a lot of modern PC games are requiring beefier hardware than a Switch contains, it isn't hard for a lot of people to have a PC that can run Switch games already.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The problem is that Switch games aren't really that intensive to run, since the system itself is likely around the same level of power as PS3 or maybe early PS4. When a lot of modern PC games are requiring beefier hardware than a Switch contains, it isn't hard for a lot of people to have a PC that can run Switch games already.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Nov 16th, 2021, 12:46 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, that blows for the userbase.

When we were kids, a new console wasn't considered "an upgrade" unless it was far more powerful than what we already had, that's why we did "linear updating": NES -> Genesis -> PS1...
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Nov 16th, 2021, 12:46 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, that blows for the userbase.

When we were kids, a new console wasn't considered "an upgrade" unless it was far more powerful than what we already had, that's why we did "linear updating": NES -> Genesis -> PS1...
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, Nintendo hasn't really been on the path of massive hardware power since the Wii. Their systems still generally get more powerful than what they previously offered but they don't stack up to PlayStation or Xbox in terms of power and haven't really needed to since both the Wii and Switch have sold massive numbers of systems regardless because of the other unique features they offered. However it is why you'll find third party offerings aren't as common on their systems because of the power difference, and certain games have to run via the cloud to actually work on the Switch.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, Nintendo hasn't really been on the path of massive hardware power since the Wii. Their systems still generally get more powerful than what they previously offered but they don't stack up to PlayStation or Xbox in terms of power and haven't really needed to since both the Wii and Switch have sold massive numbers of systems regardless because of the other unique features they offered. However it is why you'll find third party offerings aren't as common on their systems because of the power difference, and certain games have to run via the cloud to actually work on the Switch.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Nov 16th, 2021, 01:57 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Just to clarify: I have never been a "power" kind of guy nor have I ever cared as much about "the bit wars" as others since to have had. In fact, I don't think I'll ever go beyond PS4, I'm fine here.

That said, it is for those very reasons that I find Nintendo's new philosophy so intriguing, considering their history all though the nineties.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

Just to clarify: I have never been a "power" kind of guy nor have I ever cared as much about "the bit wars" as others since to have had. In fact, I don't think I'll ever go beyond PS4, I'm fine here.

That said, it is for those very reasons that I find Nintendo's new philosophy so intriguing, considering their history all though the nineties.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm not surprised exactly, but really Metroid Dread has already been turned into emulation? Makes me want to buy a real copy, even though I have little priority to get Dread yet. Y'know what? If I remember I will tomorrow after work if my store has it in as it's double discount for staff, or try again in the December discount for staff if I don't.

As I haven't posted in here yet, I mostly hate emulation. I don't want to own any or go into it anyway myself, and definitely oppose new games put into emulation. I'd want to play on my console if I have it and if not, well I'll go without. The only time I don't mind it is if you happened to get rid of old games you used to have but then get the desire to play them, or had missed out on the older games. Like PS1 era and before, maybe PS2 era. If you have a modded console then I can be fine with it, as long as it's not new games you're messing with. But in the end I'd rather not care about it and just get on with what I prefer.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm not surprised exactly, but really Metroid Dread has already been turned into emulation? Makes me want to buy a real copy, even though I have little priority to get Dread yet. Y'know what? If I remember I will tomorrow after work if my store has it in as it's double discount for staff, or try again in the December discount for staff if I don't.

As I haven't posted in here yet, I mostly hate emulation. I don't want to own any or go into it anyway myself, and definitely oppose new games put into emulation. I'd want to play on my console if I have it and if not, well I'll go without. The only time I don't mind it is if you happened to get rid of old games you used to have but then get the desire to play them, or had missed out on the older games. Like PS1 era and before, maybe PS2 era. If you have a modded console then I can be fine with it, as long as it's not new games you're messing with. But in the end I'd rather not care about it and just get on with what I prefer.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 16th, 2021, 02:03 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Oh for sure, I didn't take your statement that consoles generally got released with a notable power increase to mean that you're focused on power. Better hardware is just a fact of why new consoles tend to come out. Smile
I think Nintendo probably abandoned the idea of power once the Wii took off like it did and they saw they could get their own niche in the gaming space and leave PlayStation and Xbox to have the power battles. Likely also safer for them to experiment because they know the strength of their first party IP's and they also have stupid amounts of money they're just sitting on, whereas PlayStation and Xbox don't have that amount of luxury nor safety net.

(Nov 18th, 2021, 10:48 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Dread got emulated something like two or three days after it came out. I don't even know if any other game has been emulated that fast.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 16th, 2021, 02:03 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Oh for sure, I didn't take your statement that consoles generally got released with a notable power increase to mean that you're focused on power. Better hardware is just a fact of why new consoles tend to come out. Smile
I think Nintendo probably abandoned the idea of power once the Wii took off like it did and they saw they could get their own niche in the gaming space and leave PlayStation and Xbox to have the power battles. Likely also safer for them to experiment because they know the strength of their first party IP's and they also have stupid amounts of money they're just sitting on, whereas PlayStation and Xbox don't have that amount of luxury nor safety net.

(Nov 18th, 2021, 10:48 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Dread got emulated something like two or three days after it came out. I don't even know if any other game has been emulated that fast.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
*Throws down shovel* PHEW! Had to dig pretty deep to necro this thread. "Why am I doing so", you might ask. You remember how at the beginning of this thread, I made a joke about the Original Poster wanting a Jaguar Emulator?

(Jul 7th, 2018, 04:52 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
(Jul 7th, 2018, 12:50 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
...or plain have never been ventured into much in order to receive a proper emulator (Virtual Boy, Jaguar).

Wait, who is asking for an emulator to the Atari Jaguar? H-have you seen that library? I can understand dumping the roms for a historical record, but to actually play? (then again, given the notorious hardware issues that the Jaguar had, an Emulator may vary well be the only way to play such games. I'm looking at you, Jaguar CD).

[...]

...Seriously, though, who wants a Jaguar emulator?

@Nightingale, if you're out there, you must be a pleased gamer, because you got your wish. There is now a decent Jaguar Emulator out there for you to use.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
*Throws down shovel* PHEW! Had to dig pretty deep to necro this thread. "Why am I doing so", you might ask. You remember how at the beginning of this thread, I made a joke about the Original Poster wanting a Jaguar Emulator?

...or plain have never been ventured into much in order to receive a proper emulator (Virtual Boy, Jaguar).

Wait, who is asking for an emulator to the Atari Jaguar? H-have you seen that library? I can understand dumping the roms for a historical record, but to actually play? (then again, given the notorious hardware issues that the Jaguar had, an Emulator may vary well be the only way to play such games. I'm looking at you, Jaguar CD).

[...]

@Nightingale, if you're out there, you must be a pleased gamer, because you got your wish. There is now a decent Jaguar Emulator out there for you to use.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Jeez, I feel like that must be one of the longest to achieve emulators out there considering how old the Jaguar is. Do you know why it took so long for it to come to fruition at all? Unsure

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Jeez, I feel like that must be one of the longest to achieve emulators out there considering how old the Jaguar is. Do you know why it took so long for it to come to fruition at all? Unsure
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Dec 7th, 2022, 11:43 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

[...]

Wow! Thanks, buddy.

And thanks to Moony for letting me know about your awesome find Smile
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Dec 7th, 2022, 11:43 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

[...]

Wow! Thanks, buddy.

And thanks to Moony for letting me know about your awesome find Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I mean, its library isn't anything anyone is absolutely dying to get their hands on. I imagine the lack of interest lead to its delay in recreation. Shrug

Still, that's impressive it was finally done!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I mean, its library isn't anything anyone is absolutely dying to get their hands on. I imagine the lack of interest lead to its delay in recreation. Shrug

Still, that's impressive it was finally done!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Never doubt the internet; they are constantly working on the most insane projects you can think of. I mean, it wasn't until about a week ago that I found out the Tiger Game.Com (pronounced "Game Com", no dot) had an emulator for its library of 20 games. Well, 21, if you count the prototype of Symphony of the Night that dropped this past Halloween. Do you even know what a Game.Com is?! Because I do! And it's as terrible as you think it is! Like, imagine the original Game Boy being released in 1999 instead of '89, and you about have what the Game.Com was! Like, you have not SEEN true garbage until you have seen its port of Resident Evil 2! It is IMPRESSIVELY terrible! So of course people are Speedrunning it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Never doubt the internet; they are constantly working on the most insane projects you can think of. I mean, it wasn't until about a week ago that I found out the Tiger Game.Com (pronounced "Game Com", no dot) had an emulator for its library of 20 games. Well, 21, if you count the prototype of Symphony of the Night that dropped this past Halloween. Do you even know what a Game.Com is?! Because I do! And it's as terrible as you think it is! Like, imagine the original Game Boy being released in 1999 instead of '89, and you about have what the Game.Com was! Like, you have not SEEN true garbage until you have seen its port of Resident Evil 2! It is IMPRESSIVELY terrible! So of course people are Speedrunning it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Nintendo World Moonface 33 8,605 Jan 26th, 2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  The Witch's Cauldron: Multi-World Event! ShiraNoMai 15 903 Dec 29th, 2023, 11:46 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Restricted Exploration in Open World Games? Moonface 2 301 Dec 7th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  UG Multi-World Sessions? ShiraNoMai 12 1,562 Jul 31st, 2023, 04:09 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Lore and World Building Moonface 16 7,644 Apr 6th, 2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25